IGNORED

The Mallys Ruin St. Patrick's Day

GeoBQn

.brothersandsisters.net/gracenotes/

Here is their video of last years Saint Patrick Day celebration The sisters fascinate me in a weird way. They are so determined to share their tracts with someone and don't realize that they are annoying people. I think that it is Grace who tells the girls not to ask people if they want a tract because they will probably turn it down. Instead, you should approach people and just tell them that it you have something about the history of St. Patrick's Day before handing them the track. It amazes me that she doesn't realize that if you annoy people by tricking them into taking the tract that you will turn more people away from religion.

I really don't want to be unfair to the sisters but they do have that happy, happy, joy, joy attitude that you sometimes see when people in cults are interviewed.

Of course, using cute kids to hand out the tracks cuts down on the fuck you responses that the sisters deserve. Actually, the two women seem pretty manipulative in the way they approach evangelism.

They have the "falsetto always talking to slow children in a perky way" voice that seems a trademark of so many of these True Believer women. Was the couple she was talking to also in her group... or just playing along... because I would have been blowing her off long before she got to the second set of questions.....

And the strategy of having the kids along as human shields probably does reduce the number of "fuck off" responses they get.

But, as my husband said the one time he heard Michelle Duggar... "Use your grown up voice"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I often have conversations with strangers. It's a good way to pass the time, it's enjoyable, and so much nicer than burying your nose in your phone. But no matter who initiates the conversation, there's rarely an agenda behind it--it's just folks being friendly. That's never the case with people who proselytize, however. No matter how polite and friendly they seem, they're never interested in YOU; they just want to sell you something. It's fake, it's false and I detest feeling like I've been played, which is exactly what it is. So the second one of these conversations take a turn towards preaching, all bets are off. I no longer have a desire to continue to talk to you, nor do I feel a need to remain polite. You've just taken advantage of me, so FUCK YOU and FUCK OFF. I don't care if you bring children with you as a shield. Even though they're not to blame (yet), that's a risk you take by using them to further your agenda.

I don't think I could ever engage the Mally sisters (who always make me think of the giggly, girly Pigeon sisters from The Odd Couple) for more than a minute though. Their uber-perkiness and Stepford-like demeanor would clue me in to their motives before they could ever get the words out.

I have a feeling they won't try this in downtown Glasgow or unless they are suicidal, Dublin.

I saw the St. Patrick’s Day parade in Dublin in 1988 when I was 17. I did not see anyone handing out tracts of any kind (bummer), but I did think it was pretty funny that every other group marching seemed to be from the US. I was there with a school trip, and after the parade, they turned us loose and told us to meet up for dinner that night. I managed to get separated from my friends and wound up lost and wandering the city for the next 5ish hours. When I finally made it back to the group, the organizers weren’t all that concerned about me going missing, they were just annoyed that I stayed in the city and hadn’t attempted to try out the public transportation. I guess getting lost countrywide would have been preferable. God I loved that school. :D

Sorry – tangent!

Hi from Dublin. People would laugh and assume it was a hidden camera show if the Mally "girls" tried this here.

And yes our parade has a lot of American marching bands.

I often have conversations with strangers. It's a good way to pass the time, it's enjoyable, and so much nicer than burying your nose in your phone. But no matter who initiates the conversation, there's rarely an agenda behind it--it's just folks being friendly. That's never the case with people who proselytize, however. No matter how polite and friendly they seem, they're never interested in YOU; they just want to sell you something. It's fake, it's false and I detest feeling like I've been played, which is exactly what it is. So the second one of these conversations take a turn towards preaching, all bets are off. I no longer have a desire to continue to talk to you, nor do I feel a need to remain polite. You've just taken advantage of me, so FUCK YOU and FUCK OFF. I don't care if you bring children with you as a shield. Even though they're not to blame (yet), that's a risk you take by using them to further your agenda.

I don't think I could ever engage the Mally sisters (who always make me think of the giggly, girly Pigeon sisters from The Odd Couple) for more than a minute though. Their uber-perkiness and Stepford-like demeanor would clue me in to their motives before they could ever get the words out.

And that's exactly my issue with it all. It's like a snake oil salesperson move. People are rude because they don't like being sold a bill of goods, especially while enjoying a holiday event, or in my case, just enjoying some warm sunshine between classes. They can kindly go fuck themselves. Even worse that they aren't going this for a job or earn some money, like a sales commissioned job for something. I can actually put up with them better than religious proselytizing.

The Mallys and people similar remind of the sales woman in my local mall once who stopped me as I was walking and grabbed my hand and started to put some sort of nail polish on it. I remember I was so caught off guard that at first I wasn't sure what to say or do and then she gave me a spill about it and I just listened for a moment, likely still in a bit of surprise and trying to be polite even though she was not very polite to me in that regard. Then she handed me a box of stuff and told me it would be $80. Then I handed it back to her and said no, not interested. She kept trying to get me to buy that box of crap and hell no, I was not buying into that. I was being played and there was an agenda from the moment she stopped me and she got angry that I refused to buy what she was selling. I feel fundies are the same way when doing this, even if they are not angry, there's the notion that their god is angry and we are going to hell for not buying what they are selling.

I have a feeling they won't try this in downtown Glasgow or unless they are suicidal, Dublin.

It would be funny to watch!

Imagine how well this one would go down? 'So do you know much about who St. Patrick was? … He was actually a missionary and he wasn’t even Irish–he was English! … So do you have a spiritual background at all? …What are your beliefs?' They might hear words that they've never heard before. :lol:

I have a question for the former proselytizers:

I see folks preaching on the streets on a regular basis, and especially during festivals. Oftentimes, the only folks I see engaging the proselytizers are folks I would generally describe as "homeless and possibly dealing with a mental illness" or people who want to argue because they don't believe in the proselytizers beliefs (could be atheist or religious). Was this true for you, or did you have other kinds of interactions?

Well, my form of proselytizing was selling religious books, so if someone was mentally I'll or homeless, I wouldn't try to sell to them, and I might end up giving the book for free (I isually had enough donations to cover this, if not, I always managed to scrape them up somehow.)

As far as people who just wanted to argue... I'd let them. I'd Engadget and talk with them. I was genuinely curious as to what they believe and why. Usually with Christians I could find a common belief, like Jesus loves us, and I'd focus on that.

I don't think I ever met any atheists who wanted to discuss things; just Christians, and once, a Jehovah's Witness. That last one was a long conversation, very enlightening.

I remember this one old man who was crying because he'd lost everything... His daughter had just died from cancer. I immediately stopped proselytizing; gave him a hug and a book, telling him I knew it wouldn't help muh, but it was all I could do in the way of comfort.

When I walked away from that one, I was crying too.

I've never really gone to pass out tracts much... I did surveys a few times, but mostly I preferred to get to know people and show them Christ love. I figured that was a lot more effective than handing them a tract they probably wouldn't read anyway

ETA: most of my experiences were of the polite (or annoyed) "sorry, not interested" variety. Pretty boring, actually. I never really met any homeless people, and no one with a mental illness that was apparent... I mean I'm sure I met loads of depressed people, but I'm not sure that's the kind of mental illness to which you were referring.

Well, my form of proselytizing was selling religious books, so if someone was mentally I'll or homeless, I wouldn't try to sell to them, and I might end up giving the book for free (I isually had enough donations to cover this, if not, I always managed to scrape them up somehow.)

As far as people who just wanted to argue... I'd let them. I'd Engadget and talk with them. I was genuinely curious as to what they believe and why. Usually with Christians I could find a common belief, like Jesus loves us, and I'd focus on that.

I don't think I ever met any atheists who wanted to discuss things; just Christians, and once, a Jehovah's Witness. That last one was a long conversation, very enlightening.

I remember this one old man who was crying because he'd lost everything... His daughter had just died from cancer. I immediately stopped proselytizing; gave him a hug and a book, telling him I knew it wouldn't help muh, but it was all I could do in the way of comfort.

When I walked away from that one, I was crying too.

I've never really gone to pass out tracts much... I did surveys a few times, but mostly I preferred to get to know people and show them Christ love. I figured that was a lot more effective than handing them a tract they probably wouldn't read anyway

ETA: most of my experiences were of the polite (or annoyed) "sorry, not interested" variety. Pretty boring, actually. I never really met any homeless people, and no one with a mental illness that was apparent... I mean I'm sure I met loads of depressed people, but I'm not sure that's the kind of mental illness to which you were referring.

Maybe it depends on the setting? I live/work in a large city, and typically the proselytizers are in the main business district. More than not I see JW's, and they are pretty low-key but the only folks I see talking to them appear to be homeless.

It's interesting to hear of your experiences...thank you for sharing!

It would be funny to watch!

Imagine how well this one would go down? 'So do you know much about who St. Patrick was? … He was actually a missionary and he wasn’t even Irish–he was English! … So do you have a spiritual background at all? …What are your beliefs?' They might hear words that they've never heard before. :lol:

We were taught he was Welsh, not.English. Mallys maybe have different historical information! They fascinate me. Anyone remember when they had to.call their dad to make sure it was ok to change flight plans and the airline rep was telling them to make up their minds?

We were taught he was Welsh, not.English. Mallys maybe have different historical information! They fascinate me. Anyone remember when they had to.call their dad to make sure it was ok to change flight plans and the airline rep was telling them to make up their minds?

St Patrick was born in Banwen which is north east of Swansea, North west of Cardiff. However, being born in Wales doesn't necessarily make you Welsh. I was taught he was Roman. (He was born during the time of the Roman occupation of Britain.)

St Patrick was born in Banwen which is north east of Swansea, North west of Cardiff. However, being born in Wales doesn't necessarily make you Welsh. I was taught he was Roman. (He was born during the time of the Roman occupation of Britain.)

Say whaaaa? By that leap of logic I am English although I was born in Glasgow!!! :lol:

Say whaaaa? By that leap of logic I am English although I was born in Glasgow!!! :lol:

No, but if you had been born to an English soldier and his English wife in Glasgow while they were occupying it you'd be English, not Scottish.

Their father's leadership has produced adults that can't make a simple decision without his input. If their father dies I guess that their 28 year old brother, Stephen will have to make decisions for his older sister, Sarah. That is sad. It also makes me curious what would happen if Stephen married a more independent woman than his sisters. He works as a photographer for a paper in Iowa so he probably comes in contact with attractive, Christian women who aren't in his father's circle. It wouldn't be out of the the realm of possibility that he might marry one. I think having your husband constantly forced to managing his incompetent sisters' lives would get annoying after awhile and certainly wouldn't work once children arrived.

What daddy Mally has done to his daughters is not loving, it is cruel. He has handicapped them to the point that they can't make a decision without him. They can't accomplish a normal adult activity like making a decision about a change in flight plans. Sometimes I wonder if the fathers in some of these families are sociopaths or are they just stupid? It isn't a big leap of logic to realize that his daughters will one day have to function in the world without him or their brother.

Maybe it depends on the setting? I live/work in a large city, and typically the proselytizers are in the main business district. More than not I see JW's, and they are pretty low-key but the only folks I see talking to them appear to be homeless.

It's interesting to hear of your experiences...thank you for sharing!

It probably depends on the type of proselytizing more tha. That. I worked in 3-8 different cities in Michigan, and in Spanish territory. Most of these areas were outskirts of a big city, but we also got shipped off to small towns.

I also wasn't the bravest person either. We weren't supposed to skip houses, but I would if they had no soliciting signs. And businesses. Oh god I HATED canvassing businesses because it didn't seem Christ like to bother people at work when they were busy.

At the se time I loved it because some businesses like Walmart I could walk into, walk out, and get away without talking to anybody.

I could give you the link to my blog with a lot more experiences in very great detail, but I've been hesitant because some entries make me look... Well, like a fundie we snark on. Even though my newer entries aren't like that at a all...

You mean that you were taught not to respect the 'No Soliciting' signs? I am glad that you did respect the signs but it is alarming that other people don't.

No, but if you had been born to an English soldier and his English wife in Glasgow while they were occupying it you'd be English, not Scottish.

I think you be missing the point which is in jest by the way. Scotland technically is under the rule of England hence the referendum on independence this year. I doubt anybody you meet who considers themselves Scottish will be in any way interested what folks were 'taught' :lol:

My parents are Irish but were born on the South before the six counties broke away so by your reckoning they are also English. So they are English and moved to Scotland which is also by definition English????

Hehe. Let me tell you. I am Scottish just as Paddy was Welsh ....there has to be a joke in there somewhere. :D

You mean that you were taught not to respect the 'No Soliciting' signs? I am glad that you did respect the signs but it is alarming that other people don't.

Yes, we were explicitly taught no to listen to those. They told us we weren't selling, we were "giving them out on a donation basis," which wasn't even 100% true because we had to memorize a list of prices.

I have to admit, I wavered back and forth on this one. I was against it, but if my team leaders were near I'd have to go... Also, at first I didn't know they were a law, I just thought they were preference. Once I found out they were law, I didn't think Jesus would want us to break it.

Yet she i made the mistake of telling people, they told me that those laws conflicted with god's law. I was like:.. But people in this country have a zillion ways of findig Jesus, and even Adventism I they wanted to. At that point I was no longer adventist, so I was only concerned with people finding Christ, not with them finding Adventism.

They said bag since some people would otherwise not pursue these routes of information, we still needed to break the law to do it, and what if no one preached in... Insert name of country in which Christians are persecuted for real here.

Our leaders told us story after story about students who would knock indoors with no soliciting signs and be told that they had sich courage, and because of that of course they'd buy a book from me.

Never happened to me. Ever. Quite the opposite in fact. So while I did waver, I mostly skipped those houses and businesses, though I was made to feel guilty about it.

One time a guy got mad at me for knocking and pointed to his no soliciting sign--it was hidden partially behind something and I couldn't see it from he street. I politely informed him it should be more visible or I wouldn't have stopped.

There were other illegal things going on... Actually I was less concerned with the legal aspects than with the blatant violations of safety. I'm probably the only person willing to talk about it...

I took down some of he more heated posts about it on my blog, in case anyone should see it. My real name isn't attached to if, but at the time I was afraid someone would see it and its have nasty consequences.

Thecitu4square.wordpress.com

I know I did some horrible things... I can't defend all of what I did.

Some of you may find I interesting was that it was my experience going door to door that shook my faith in God so much I eventually lost it.

If I hadn't done it, I'd probably still be a Christian.

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=12209

Here is a video of Grace Mally(age 24) in Mexico.

She and the young man in the video express shock that there aren't any churches that teach the gospel in small villages in Mexico. My guess is that there are Catholic churches in those villages. Catholic mass is full of the gospel. There are three readings from the bible at every Catholic mass; however, the homily is usually short so you don't get as much of the priest's opinion on that gospel. From my experience, most Protestant churches have short bible readings and long sermons.

Tyrnn, I can't snark on what you used to believe because it was in the past. I had some very snarkable articles on my older blog also.

Being from Chicago, St. Patrick's Day was a really big deal. I was raised Jewish but, for that day, I was happy to consider myself one with my Catholic neighbors. The city dyed the Chicago River green and painted the white line on the parade route green. Everybody wore something green and we all had a really good time watching the parade. It was a joyous occasion. Which brings me to this question: Why do Fundies seem to eschew joy? They seem to be always angry and joyless. Why live your life that way? I get that they are concerned with the afterlife but at least have a good time while you are still on this earth. Can't they go even 10 minutes without thinking about God?

My father (a life long Anglican) always hated missionaries. He would donate to the church, but never to the mission boxes. In his old age he had a hand-made sign on his door "No Hawkers or Missionaries". I loved him for that.

Being from Chicago, St. Patrick's Day was a really big deal. I was raised Jewish but, for that day, I was happy to consider myself one with my Catholic neighbors. The city dyed the Chicago River green and painted the white line on the parade route green. Everybody wore something green and we all had a really good time watching the parade. It was a joyous occasion. Which brings me to this question: Why do Fundies seem to eschew joy? They seem to be always angry and joyless. Why live your life that way? I get that they are concerned with the afterlife but at least have a good time while you are still on this earth. Can't they go even 10 minutes without thinking about God?

Whadda you mean, beckett70? When I am at a St Patrick's Day Parade, I'm thinking about God. I'm thinking, "God, some of these bagpipers are hot!"

Erin Go Bragh! ;) :dance:

The sign on my door is explicit - No soliciting and no proselytizing. The Jehovah's Witnesses still knocked. She said but we aren't proselytizing we only want to talk about the Bible. I shook my head and told her to please go away and get educated and BTW don't disturb me again. The Baptists and fundies thankfully can read and comprehend. They don't knock but they do still stick their pamphlets on the porch.

I'm still appalled by the super fundie alleged Christians and what they'll do in the name of witnessing and their near to complete refusal to acknowledge that what they are doing is counter-productive.

During my short time at a fundie lite church I went to their evangelism class just to see what they taught. They were more reasonable and said it really only works to talk to people who have shown an interest. They said cold calls and walking up to strangers on the street was a waste of time. That's one of the few good things I can about them.

I hated witnessing. We used to have to go out on Sunday afternoons and people hated us. I think I looked so embarrassed at having to witness that people were usually nice to me out of pity.

Whadda you mean, beckett70? When I am at a St Patrick's Day Parade, I'm thinking about God. I'm thinking, "God, some of these bagpipers are hot!"

Erin Go Bragh! ;) :dance:

I love St. Pat's in Chicago. Every race, color, creed, ethnicity seems to get into it. I feel like it is one of the few events that really does bring this very segregated city together. But in general I love the holiday as I tend to get a lot of attention haha (I look stereotypically Irish and have a very Irish surname to boot).

DH and I like to go out to the Irish American Heritage Center, they throw an awesome party. Conan O'Brien did a clip there a few years ago that is a riot: =n4_7qY0IEno

TAYTO!

(FYI...for St. Pat's and Celticfest, there are 2 more bars outside LOL)

Anyways, the Mally's would NOT approve of the IAHC.

If any FJer's come to Chicago for St. Pat's, I'd be more than happy to host you and to pass off to you some of my Irish Car Bomb cupcakes that I make. One of those things is enough to make you tipsy!

The thing about Patrick being "English" is that "English" didn't exist at that point. It's like saying the painters of the caves at Lascaux were French.

Archived