IGNORED

The Mallys Ruin St. Patrick's Day

GeoBQn

The Mally's advise people on how to ruin St. Patrick's day for everyone. They link to last year's post.

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=10391

They made a video last year at the parade in downtown Cedar Rapids.

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=12423

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Mally's advise people on how to ruin St. Patrick's day for everyone. They link to last year's post.

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=10391

They made a video last year at the parade in downtown Cedar Rapids.

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=12423

We need to be like St. Patrick. He drove the snakes out of Ireland. We need to drive the Mallys & other fundies out. Do the Mallys realize St. Patrick was Catholic? They hate Catholics. I'm surprised they even recognize the day.

They recognize him but rarely refer to him as a "saint". That would be too Catholic of them.

Noah and Dorothy Sanders named their son after him but called him a preacher, Monica and David Brown named their first daughter Iona, but refused to acknowledge the Catholic background of that name/place.

Notice how the Mallys did the same.....

There were fundies handing out anti-Catholic literature at the 2010 St. Patrick's day parade in Savannah, GA. We were sitting right across from the cathedral on the street. A little girl of about 8 politely handed me a pamphlet and started walking further, and her father was right behind her. He tried to give my FIL a pamphlet, and my FIL, a kind man whom I've never seen get angry apart from this, yelled at this guy (well, spoke forcefully, it was more like a serious lecture than a yell) about involving his daughter in proselytizing against Catholics at an event that was very heavily Catholic, and about involving a child in street preaching, period. I've never seen him so angry.

I hate when people try and ruin holidays for others, no matter how.

Nice day for a parade, isn’t it? … Do you come to this parade every year? … So do you know much about who St. Patrick was? … He was actually a missionary and he wasn’t even Irish–he was English! … So do you have a spiritual background at all? …What are your beliefs?â€)

It is difficult to explain to people determined to proselyte why they are being obnoxious. They simply don't understand that they are rude or invasive. When I am relaxing with my family, I don't want to have to tell some smiling, sweet faced person to go away. I don't like to be mean and some of these people are so blissfully happy that I feel like I kicked a puppy when I am rude to them. My inner beliefs are complicated and personal. It isn't something that I want to have to explain to someone that I don't know. Plus, I don't tell strangers that I am an atheist. Some people have very negative views on atheism.

If I enter into a conversation with them about religion, I have no idea what kind of problems that the evangelist has in their life. Losing faith is difficult and some people are just happier believing that a higher power loves them. Maybe I would end up hurting the person instead of helping them. I don't want to have to worry about that during what was supposed to be a fun family event.

if that squeaky, dead eyed stay at home daughter came up to me at a st. patricks day parade and ask if I have ever taken the lord's name in vain I would probably say "youre goddamn right"

Mallys: "What are your beliefs?"

Me: "I believe you can fuck off"

edited to add spoilers in case of delicate flowers or children

Here is how the Mally's style of preaching would go down during either the South Side St. Patrick's Day Parade or the Downtown St. Patrick's Day Parade in Chicago

1) Pass out tracts. Click here for a tract you could print double-sided on green paper and use if you’d like. - Would be used to cover up vomit or other bodily discharges.

2) Start talking to someone. Gradually gear the conversation to spiritual things. (“Nice day for a parade, isn’t it? … Do you come to this parade every year? … So do you know much about who St. Patrick was? … He was actually a missionary and he wasn’t even Irish–he was English! … So do you have a spiritual background at all? …What are your beliefs?â€) - Would be met with glares of the more sober and a "fuck off" by the less sober. However either party would stop caring in .02 seconds as they are cracking open a new beer.

3) Take a questionnaire Click here for a questionnaire you could use. You can also go to the resource page of www.willourgenerationspeak.com and see the other questionnaires available. - Again, be used to cover vomit and other bodily discharges.

4) Open air preach right after it ends. A friend might do this in our town this year and we’d appreciate prayer for that outreach. [smile] - Would result in getting dumped into the electric green waters of the Chicago River.

Above all, let’s pray that Christians everywhere take advantage of this useful day and share St Patrick’s message on St Patrick’s Day, 2013!

And we don’t have to wait until then! This whole next week is a great time to be giving out St. Patrick’s tracts and bringing him up in conversations.

*Ahem* many of those folks you are bothering during St. Pats are already Christians. You are bothering them on the one day where cops look the other way when you openly crack a cold one open downtown. Now THAT is what makes St. Patrick's Day sacred!

St Patrick's Day parade in Manhattan goes down much the same way as Chicago, except the cops insist you keep in classy and only get your bottles out of your backpack when you are taking a swig. ;) As long as there is no violence, God and the beat cops forgive a bit of the open air drink taken on St Patrick's Day.

As for the St P's day parade in my NJ hometown, NO ONE would suffer a Protestant trying to proselytize. The mild end of the scale would be a "fuck off".

.brothersandsisters.net/gracenotes/

Here is their video of last years Saint Patrick Day celebration The sisters fascinate me in a weird way. They are so determined to share their tracts with someone and don't realize that they are annoying people. I think that it is Grace who tells the girls not to ask people if they want a tract because they will probably turn it down. Instead, you should approach people and just tell them that it you have something about the history of St. Patrick's Day before handing them the track. It amazes me that she doesn't realize that if you annoy people by tricking them into taking the tract that you will turn more people away from religion.

I really don't want to be unfair to the sisters but they do have that happy, happy, joy, joy attitude that you sometimes see when people in cults are interviewed.

Of course, using cute kids to hand out the tracks cuts down on the fuck you responses that the sisters deserve. Actually, the two women seem pretty manipulative in the way they approach evangelism.

I've got a question for the fundies? Why do they think any of this stuff works? They say that it's worth it if even one soul is won for their side, but they must turns thousands of others completely off. I wonder if they realize that their net total might actually be one for them, three hundred for the atheists/agnostics? In my case it was my newly evangelical high school ex-friends who made me examine my beliefs and come to the conclusion that I didn't believe.

I've got a question for the fundies? Why do they think any of this stuff works? They say that it's worth it if even one soul is won for their side, but they must turns thousands of others completely off. I wonder if they realize that their net total might actually be one for them, three hundred for the atheists/agnostics? In my case it was my newly evangelical high school ex-friends who made me examine my beliefs and come to the conclusion that I didn't believe.

It is ego. They don't really care if more souls are lost by their methods than won. Evangelism probably makes them feel important and needed.

The best evangelism method is to simply live your life as a kind, decent person who helps others. Someone who tries to live what Jesus taught will do more to present a positive impact for her/his religion than all the tracks in the world. However, just being good isn't as exciting as standing on a street corner and bugging people. You don't get admired because you helped your elderly neighbor by shoveling her sidewalk or stopped to buy food for a homeless person because you aren't supposed to bring attention to your actions so there is no praise from others for all these good deeds.

Evangelism makes people feel important. If someone calls you a name, you have suffered for god. If people listen to you, you are being blessed by god. Either way, the evangelist feels good about themselves and that is more important than actually living what Jesus really taught.

oh-KAYEE - it wasn't bad e-NU-UHFF- having to listen to squeaky Mi-iss Mal-LEEE - but then that one pencilneck says "It was good to have somebody younger with me 'cause then they [the hapless parade-goershe accosted] wouldn't be rude" - but then I had to se-EE Miss Mal-LEEEE lecturing the uncomfortable-but-too-polite-to-walk-away young people about how God sent Jesus, etc.

Damn you idiots, that is NOT the way to spread the good news of our religion! Or at least, the religion you claim with the same name I claim my own. OK, I shouldn't damn 'em. How about this: Shut uh-UPPPP, you dim-WITS!?

Five or fewer years from now, my sad bet is that fully one out of every four of the peo-PUHL, who listened to and abetted Miss Mal-LEE, will be sour on religion in general if not non-Christian in particular. This isn't the way it's supposed to be done.

The arrogance. The hubris. The foolishness. It angers.

....Where do these people live? I'll go over to both St. Pat's parades in the city if I have to, to find them and politely take their green handouts and recycle 'em.

Hang on, hang on ... I don't understand.

St Pats Day is (1) me playing in a band in the parade (2) my husband dancing in the parade with his Irish Dance troop (3) both of us dancing at the pub after the parade with the Irish dance troop (4) neither of us drink alcohol but instead drinking a lot of lime mineral water and pretending it's the same as the green beer that others are drinking (5) finishing with a really top meal at the Irish pub and not having to pay for it because we provided the entertainment.

Why would we protest against the Catholics who have given us such an awesome day? I've never actually been aware of the religious side anyway - it's always just a celebration of being Irish. (I'm actually an Aussie of Scottish descent but we can all enjoy being Irish for a day, can't we?)

Yeah, I don't think they get it at all. I'm not even from the right part of Europe, and I have a 30 year old "Irish For the Day" pin I wear to the parade. The Irish are nice enough to include everyone in their fun on St Patrick's Day, and it is nasty rude for the Mally's to piss on that hospitality.

oh-KAYEE - it wasn't bad e-NU-UHFF- having to listen to squeaky Mi-iss Mal-LEEE - but then that one pencilneck says "It was good to have somebody younger with me 'cause then they [the hapless parade-goershe accosted] wouldn't be rude" - but then I had to se-EE Miss Mal-LEEEE lecturing the uncomfortable-but-too-polite-to-walk-away young people about how God sent Jesus, etc.

Damn you idiots, that is NOT the way to spread the good news of our religion! Or at least, the religion you claim with the same name I claim my own. OK, I shouldn't damn 'em. How about this: Shut uh-UPPPP, you dim-WITS!?

Five or fewer years from now, my sad bet is that fully one out of every four of the peo-PUHL, who listened to and abetted Miss Mal-LEE, will be sour on religion in general if not non-Christian in particular. This isn't the way it's supposed to be done.

The arrogance. The hubris. The foolishness. It angers.

....Where do these people live? I'll go over to both St. Pat's parades in the city if I have to, to find them and politely take their green handouts and recycle 'em.

Reminds of last fall when I went to sit down on a bench outside on campus as it was October or early November, can't recall at the moment, but it was a very warm and gorgeous day. Then these two young women with pamphlets came up to me right after I sat down and asked in similar tone and unease and asked if I knew about the Bible. I wanted to laugh, really. How on earth can you live in this country-the US-and NOT be aware of what the Holy Bible is, c'mon now. I wanted to say that was a really stupid question because seriously, who here doesn't know what it is. I didn't and just said yes. They then started to ask me if I would be interested in joining the campus Bible group and I said, not really, no. They then asked if I would be interested in learning a bit about the gospel that I didn't already know and about Jesus. I said nope, I would not, but thanks anyway. They just looked at each other, said okay and god bless and went on their merry way. Apparently they weren't up for the challenge and it got them to leave me alone so I could bask in some glorious sun before the winter cold hit...and when it hit, boy did it hit like a freight train. :lol:

Anyway, I suggest people just tell them they aren't interested and see how they respond. Bet they won't even bother with their nonsense and be polite about it. I just told those thanks, but no thanks basically. Of course, these people may consider it rude anyway, but I think it's rude of them to come up and try to make me follow their religion. I don't do that to them, except in the science classrooms of course where us evil atheists are out to preach Satan's lie of evolution so they will rot in hell with us. :D

When I was proselytizing, I was ways super polite about rejection, as were most of my co workers. I even had someone run after me to give me a donation, which he said he did because I was so polite when he rejected me.

Telling us you're not interested was actually the best way to get rid of us. One o my friends even admitted "I have an argument for everything, except that they're not interested. If they're no interested, then I can't change that, so I move on."

It might not have been they weren't up to the challenge, rather, they didn't want to be pushy. Aside from the stupid questions (I know you know about the bible, for goodness sakes) that's probably exactly how I would've handled the situation.

You know, back when I was religious. I don't do that sort of thing nowadays

I can't get past the fact that Sarah Mally is 35. Michelle "Baby Voice" Duggar sounds like a respected intellectual by comparison. :shock:

I also can't believe they actually go around asking strangers "What are your beliefs?" My beliefs are none of your damned business, you nitwit! Seriously, my oldest friends and closest relatives don't know what my exact beliefs are--because they're private--and you think I'm going to tell you?!?!

Hang on, hang on ... I don't understand.

St Pats Day is (1) me playing in a band in the parade (2) my husband dancing in the parade with his Irish Dance troop (3) both of us dancing at the pub after the parade with the Irish dance troop (4) neither of us drink alcohol but instead drinking a lot of lime mineral water and pretending it's the same as the green beer that others are drinking (5) finishing with a really top meal at the Irish pub and not having to pay for it because we provided the entertainment.

Why would we protest against the Catholics who have given us such an awesome day? I've never actually been aware of the religious side anyway - it's always just a celebration of being Irish. (I'm actually an Aussie of Scottish descent but we can all enjoy being Irish for a day, can't we?)

According to a Lutheran friend, it's because she has to live with her sins for the rest of her life and pay on Doomsday. She thinks that I* can always go to confession, and come out with a freshly laundered soul. Also, "my tribe" turned drinking into a sacrament, so we enjoy blessing ourselves, liberally, on occasion. Her theory is that Catholics get all the best celebrations because of that, and she's (jokingly) envious. Me, I'm envious of the Greek Orthodox, 'cause food...

*Cultural Catholic and unbeliever. If I ever do go back to confession, it'll take a session of about three weeks, and I probably should bring several bottles of booze for whichever priest gets to listen to me. :mrgreen:

They seem so smug! How would they like it if I went up to them & started questioning if they have been fasting for lent? & then said WELL YOU SHOULD BE!

I have a question for the former proselytizers:

I see folks preaching on the streets on a regular basis, and especially during festivals. Oftentimes, the only folks I see engaging the proselytizers are folks I would generally describe as "homeless and possibly dealing with a mental illness" or people who want to argue because they don't believe in the proselytizers beliefs (could be atheist or religious). Was this true for you, or did you have other kinds of interactions?

I think that the reason people get annoyed with those pushing religion is the same reason people get annoyed when someone tries to sell them a product. If you aren't looking to buy something, having a random person approach you and try to sell you that item is annoying. It becomes even more annoying when the salesperson tries to trick you by pretending to offer you one thing only so you will listen to their pitch. Sarah and Grace Mally are sales people nothing more except that they are more annoying.

Mostly I am polite to people because that is the type of person that I am. In real life, I hate confrontations and having someone approach me to sell me an item(or belief) makes me highly uncomfortable. Most of the time, I just want to be left alone. I am far more impressed by the Christians on this forum then anyone who approaches me to sell me their religion.

I wonder if the Mally sisters' talk the way that they do because they have been taught that it is feminine to have qualities that are considered to belong to very young females. Perhaps speaking and acting like an adult female would seem too aggressive and powerful in their family. Sarah Mally's book indicated that the daughter is supposed to look toward her father to lead her. Perhaps in that household, dad likes his women to remain excited preteens.The Duggar girls are far more mature in their speech and mannerisms then either Sarah or Grace. That leads me to believe that this is a Mally family issue.

I have a feeling they won't try this in downtown Glasgow or unless they are suicidal, Dublin.

Archived