IGNORED

Kentucky Baptists use gun giveaways get rednecks to church

doggie

what is wrong with this picture?

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/ ... ck_check=1

In an effort its spokesman has described as “outreach to rednecks,†the Kentucky Baptist Convention is leading “Second Amendment Celebrations,†where churches around the state give away guns as door prizes to lure in nonbelievers in hopes of converting them to Christ.

As many as 1,000 people are expected at the next one, on Thursday at Lone Oak Baptist Church in Paducah, where they will be given a free steak dinner and the chance to win one of 25 handguns, long guns and shotguns.

The goal is to “point people to Christ,†the church says in a flier. Chuck McAlister, an ex-pastor, master storyteller and former Outdoor Channel hunting show host who presides at the events as the Kentucky Baptist Convention’s team leader for evangelism, said 1,678 men made “professions of faith†at about 50 such events last year, most of them in Kentucky.

In Louisville, he said, more than 500 people showed up on a snowy January day for a gun giveaway at Highview Baptist Church, and 61 made decisions to seek salvation.

McAlister’s boss, Paul Chitwood, the Kentucky Baptist Convention’s executive director, said such results speak for themselves. “It’s been very effective,†he said in an interview.

But other clergy question what guns and gun rights have to do with with sharing the Gospel.

But other clergy question what guns and gun rights have to do with with sharing the Gospel

Well, Jesus had a gun and... oh wait

"My" fundie-lite church in upstate New York used to have "game dinners" with the same intent. I don't know that they ever gave away actual guns, but it was a huge "outreach" to the local community. I was always a little perturbed to come in Sunday after the dinner and find stuffed turkeys and deer heads hung beside the cross.

It's all about saving the souls. You gotta get them into the church any way you can. :angry-banghead:

Just what America needs more religion and guns interesecting with a lot of dominion theology thrown in. The whole dedicating "their lives to Christ"in my minds ear has my bs meter hitting a 10. What would be interesting is to find out how many of these people were existing Christians or members of other congregations shopping around. I always find it interesting this notion of oh the church is growing so much, but oh wait what's that we are loosing young people.

I live in Louisville and pass right by the church everyday on my way to and from work. I didn't even know they did this.

They are one of the bigger and well known churches in my area. They even have a school. That church has been rocked many times with scandal. I will try to find the articles because this was big news when it happened.

I want to know how many of the 61 people are still going there now.

And how many of us think these guys are saying whatever they think they need to say to get a free gun.

Exactly my thought. And if someone is gullible enough to be converted with nothing more than a steak and a raffle ticket, chances are they are converted to whatever religion is the hot one of the week.

iN 2010, a church in Corpus Christi texas gave away all kinds of crap for easter...

Bay Area Fellowship, the largest church in Corpus Christi, is giving away flat-screen televisions, skateboards, Fender guitars, furniture and 15 cars -- yes, cars -- at its Easter services this week.

And even those who don't win big will walk away with something. The church has gathered donations for 15,000 gift bags, each with about $300 worth of free goods and services.

abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/state&id=7360606

Makes you think "he is risen indeed." when you think of a cool gift bag, don't you think?

I should have known it was Paducah. I am almost ashamed to admit it but some of my family came from Paducah. Somethings never change!

I can see the headlines now: Gun goes off in church, Redneck outreach to blame!

iN 2010, a church in Corpus Christi texas gave away all kinds of crap for easter...

Bay Area Fellowship, the largest church in Corpus Christi, is giving away flat-screen televisions, skateboards, Fender guitars, furniture and 15 cars -- yes, cars -- at its Easter services this week.

And even those who don't win big will walk away with something. The church has gathered donations for 15,000 gift bags, each with about $300 worth of free goods and services.

abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/state&id=7360606

Makes you think "he is risen indeed." when you think of a cool gift bag, don't you think?

Wow, at our mainline protestant church all we get is to take the Easter lilies that decorated the sanctuary home after the last service. What a ripoff!

Let's not help the poor with all that money.

Well *DUH*, it's their own fault they're poor. Let 'em pull themselves up by their own bootstraps!

Well *DUH*, it's their own fault they're poor. Let 'em pull themselves up by their own bootstraps!

Yep says do right on the bible right?

Archived