IGNORED

Lent Noms - Paczki and Mac n Cheese and Fried Dough, oh my

Mela99

What does everybody look forward to for lent food?

I live in Michigan, and was introduced to paczki - big, thick, filled donuts - when I moved here. Amazing. We already put our order in.

I LOVE having mac and cheese on Fridays and hash brown casserole and lots of bread. I don't touch fish because I'm allergic.

What does everybody else have?

My Italian grandmother always made fried dough on Fridays during Lent. Homemade gnocchi was also a Friday meal.

My absolute favorite part was that we'd have lamb on Easter Sunday. It was so good!

My Italian grandmother always made fried dough on Fridays during Lent. Homemade gnocchi was also a Friday meal.

My absolute favorite part was that we'd have lamb on Easter Sunday. It was so good!

My Italian grandmother did the same :) fritta was amazing. Or the bread with the colored eggs- can never rememver the name...

My Italian grandmother did the same :) fritta was amazing. Or the bread with the colored eggs- can never rememver the name...

Oh yeah! The one that tastes like Challah bread? And the pannettone that was on the table, but no one ever ate it.

Lent- Semolina halva cake. It is vegan so appropriate to Orthodox fasting rules, but so good.

Easter- It is not Greek Easter without roast lamb. Can't happen. :D. Also the braided bread that is a lot like challah that has colored eggs nestled in the braids.

Oh yeah! The one that tastes like Challah bread? And the pannettone that was on the table, but no one ever ate it.

Yes! haha. I only ever ate the pannetone if it was hazelnut

• 3 weeks later...

I'm Ukrainian Catholic, so our food is a little different sometimes. Pancakes, varenyky (stuffed dumplings), deruny (potato pancakes), beans, vegetables, pickles, drinks made from dried fruit are a major part of our Lent diet right now.

On Easter Sunday holubtsi (stuffed cabbage), mashed potatoes, gravy, pyrohy or varenyky (stuffed dumplings), hot vegetables, cold salads, herring, studenetz (jellied pigs feet) and salchison (headcheese) are served. Then we have tons of desserts, including syrnyk (cheesecake), poppyseed roll, meringue tortes, cookies...

The food is the best part of Lent (when we're not fasting, that is...) :wink-kitty:

There's a wonderful book, Festive Breads of Easter by Norma Jost Voth, that's chock full of recipes for various Easter breads. It's apparently out of print, but you can still find used copies at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

There's a wonderful book, Festive Breads of Easter by Norma Jost Voth, that's chock full of recipes for various Easter breads. It's apparently out of print, but you can still find used copies at Amazon or Barnes and Noble.

I just added this to my used book wish list! I love making bread

Archived