IGNORED

Bill Gothard Ousted - IBLP/ATI scandal - Merge

love2scrap

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would not be at all surprised if the original 34 women were just the tip of the iceberg. BG is a serial offender with no incentive to change his ways. BG got away with it many times, even after the original scandal and then being confronted by people like Robin's parents. Getting off scot-free so many times would convince him that he could always get away with molesting and harassing his female staff.

Yes, RG says it is working with attorneys.

There are probably a number of women who do not want to make any public statements, but have come forward privately to those who run RG. If for anything, they victim support they are now offering.

... and all while spinning it to avoid actually saying "Gothard" or "IBLP". In one of the earliest episodes, while dressed in matching or nearly-alike frumpers, they attended a "homeschool convention". I seem to recall a story line about meeting other large families there.

The back of the UHaul they dragged behind their van (this was pre "Old Trusty") had a huge poster on the back that read: "ATI Bound!" Not much way to get around that.

Not to mention, Jesus had no opinion on "backbeat." The girls brought that one up in their book, and we've heard Boob use it. They quote Gothard all the time; not much getting around that, either.

Honestly, the Duggar's love attention so much that it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to capitalize off this in some way. One of the girls coming forward as a victim...

The ONLY way one of the girls could be mentioned as a "victim" would be if she recognized anything inappropriate the very first time (and it would have to be something that would not damage her purity at all) and went to JB immediately. Since JB is her protector and has her heart, she would need to tell him right away. He could then act heroically and save his daughter from violation. I really can't see this happening. Having even a whiff of impurity goes against their brand.

I think if JB mentions the Gothard situation at all it will be to say he never saw or heard anything wrong....And this is why a father's job is to protect his daughters, why they don't go anywhere alone, how even a great man like Bill can be tempted, etc. On and on with the sheltering, protection, heart, and sin stuff that they always say.

Or he could try and say that they used the ATI homeschooling stuff and went to the summer camps for ATI but really didn't have much to do with Bill. I think JB will attempt to distance himself from Bill. If a Duggar girl ever was victimized by anyone, ever, I think it would be kept as quiet as possible.

I would not be at all surprised if the original 34 women were just the tip of the iceberg. BG is a serial offender with no incentive to change his ways. BG got away with it many times, even after the original scandal and then being confronted by people like Robin's parents. Getting off scot-free so many times would convince him that he could always get away with molesting and harassing his female staff.

I agree. I think we are in a sick sort of waiting game. I think we all know that it is not if another woman comes forward that can actually press charges but when.

The board has to know it is coming. Make me wonder who they will throw under the bus to disavowal any knowledge to keep themselves out of trouble.

I think that the net will have to be cast wider than just Gothard because I know there were several people on staff that rival Gothard for the mistreatment of minors.

The back of the UHaul they dragged behind their van (this was pre "Old Trusty") had a huge poster on the back that read: "ATI Bound!" Not much way to get around that.

Not to mention, Jesus had no opinion on "backbeat." The girls brought that one up in their book, and we've heard Boob use it. They quote Gothard all the time; not much getting around that, either.

They would have to try to shut up all the x-ATIA kids that know or knew the Duggars from ATIA related events.

I've been watching the family sites for the Gothard followers near me (Wilkes, Neely, Staddon and Stelzl) to see if they have any response to the situation. Esther Staddon who works at HQ put up some confusing post about sheep on the Staddon site. Can't figure out what she is trying to say.

I've been watching the family sites for the Gothard followers near me (Wilkes, Neely, Staddon and Stelzl) to see if they have any response to the situation. Esther Staddon who works at HQ put up some confusing post about sheep on the Staddon site. Can't figure out what she is trying to say.

I would love a reaction from David Waller... (not talking that newsletter he sent out) An actual admittance that he is cutting ties with Gothard would be nice.

I've been wondering how David is taking this and how he has explained it to Priscilla...

The Bateses site is back up just where it left off. No new anything.

I agree. I think we are in a sick sort of waiting game. I think we all know that it is not if another woman comes forward that can actually press charges but when.

The board has to know it is coming. Make me wonder who they will throw under the bus to disavowal any knowledge to keep themselves out of trouble.

I think that the net will have to be cast wider than just Gothard because I know there were several people on staff that rival Gothard for the mistreatment of minors.

:cry:

That pic of Gothard standing on the stairs with his interns, a couple pages back...is it just me or are the two girls with the certified crunchy curl perms the ones standing closest to him...for a reason? :? :ew:

That pic of Gothard standing on the stairs with his interns, a couple pages back...is it just me or are the two girls with the certified crunchy curl perms the ones standing closest to him...for a reason? :? :ew:

Possibly. I know the girl behind him is completely immersed in the Kool-Aid.

I thought Gothard was into soft, wavy curls.

I thought he hated 'em - at least he hates beards for sure!

This post talks about what hairstyle he favors:

recoveringgrace.org/2012/01/the-glory-of-hair/

I've been wondering how David is taking this and how he has explained it to Priscilla...

I don't think Priscilla cares. All she cares about is obeying her headship.

Here at FJ, we all know that the Duggars and the Bates are ATI. The evidence is abundant. Although we all speak of fundy royalty, very few people know most of the families we speak about. There are large numbers of maintream people who are aware of the Duggars and to a lesser extent, the Bates. Even fewer people understand the evils of ATI/IBLP/

I don't think you will see a public statement about Gothard from either house, probably ever. The Duggars have (lied) specifically denied being "Quiverfull" in the past and only repeat that they are a religiously conservative family who believes in having as many children as god gives them. They are no strangers to distancing themselves from labels. ATI/IBLP will continue to publish stuff and run programs for some time after Bill Gothard fades from view. The Duggars will continue to participate. Gradually, the infrastructure will provide less resources. There are several other educational and lifestyle resources that the Duggars had found properly Christian and have used already. J'chelle has mentioned this before. The "out" is already in place.

Perhaps one day, after the dust settles, a comment will be made about either how poor Mr. Gothard got old and could not handle the weight of the evil of the world any longer, or that it is a shame that he was led into sin. Nothing else. He will be dimissed out of hand. It's what Narcissists do when someone is no longer of use to them. Even another Narcisssist.

This post talks about what hairstyle he favors:

recoveringgrace.org/2012/01/the-glory-of-hair/

Did anyone else catch this comment on the post? Sounds like he was grooming another victim.

Suzannah January 9, 2012

When I was in ATI I always felt the injustice of Mr. Gothard judging girls by their hair. Sweet, kind, hardworking girls were not invited to headquarters because they had short or curly hair. I remember when I first realized Mr. Gothard had such an outward focus. I was about 14 years old and attending a counseling conference. There was a girl there who was beautiful. She had long blond hair, a great tan, and a slit up to her thigh. She had what would be considered a rebel attitude and broke rules by talking to boys (God forbid). I was worried about her getting into trouble because I assumed she was new and didn't know the dress and behavior rules. At some point during the week I saw Mr. Gothard pull her aside personally to talk to her. Imagine my surprise to find out he was inviting her to headquarters because he was so impressed with her. My eyes were opened to the complete double standard applied in ATI. From that point on I saw Mr. Gothard in a different light.

Did anyone else catch this comment on the post? Sounds like he was grooming another victim.

Suzannah January 9, 2012

When I was in ATI I always felt the injustice of Mr. Gothard judging girls by their hair. Sweet, kind, hardworking girls were not invited to headquarters because they had short or curly hair. I remember when I first realized Mr. Gothard had such an outward focus. I was about 14 years old and attending a counseling conference. There was a girl there who was beautiful. She had long blond hair, a great tan, and a slit up to her thigh. She had what would be considered a rebel attitude and broke rules by talking to boys (God forbid). I was worried about her getting into trouble because I assumed she was new and didn't know the dress and behavior rules. At some point during the week I saw Mr. Gothard pull her aside personally to talk to her. Imagine my surprise to find out he was inviting her to headquarters because he was so impressed with her. My eyes were opened to the complete double standard applied in ATI. From that point on I saw Mr. Gothard in a different light.

Why did none of these girl's parents catch a clue? (I've read many stories on Recovering Grace) isn't it obvious that he wants them for sexual reasons as he chooses them when just meeting them? They supposably must live up to all these crazy standards, why is there not a rigorous application process?

People just get so sucked into these ministries, or they are so abusive themselves, they turn a blind eye to all the red flags.

Why did none of these girl's parents catch a clue? (I've read many stories on Recovering Grace) isn't it obvious that he wants them for sexual reasons as he chooses them when just meeting them? They supposably must live up to all these crazy standards, why is there not a rigorous application process?

People just get so sucked into these ministries, or they are so abusive themselves, they turn a blind eye to all the red flags.

Remember, Bill was someone they admired and respected. They looked up to him and expected upright, moral, and above reproach behavior from him. That is what they thought they were seeing (if they actually met him) and getting from Bill. He didn't play footsie with a girl right in front of her parents; he had to groom her first. If the expectations are that this is a great man, with a great ministry that prevents or stops rebellion in children, then that is what parents tend to see.

It would also had to have been a great honor to have a daughter chosen by Bill to be his personal assistant or secretary or whatever title he gave. Mom and Dad might be surprised at having a daughter chosen, but that just shows Bill's good judgment! Even if he chose a blonde, slit skirt, rebellious type they would trust him-he is "saving" her from rebellion, he sees her true value, etc.

I also wonder how many of the girls told their parents about behavior that made them uncomfortable. These are very naïve and sheltered girls. They aren't supposed to even have these feelings or experiences, let alone with the great man himself. They aren't even supposed to know about them until marriage.

Many of the parents probably never had a clue. And even those who did searched for some other explanation because BG could NOT have acted inappropriately. Definitely turned a blind eye toward Bill, but they may not have even realized it.

I do keep wondering...did Bill's advances ever go beyond what has been reported so far? Any secret girls/women outside of headquarters?

I wonder if anyone has questioned them on the blog and she deleted it. Bet Gil isn't allowed to discuss the issue.

I screen capped two comments on the Bates blog where someone asked about the cake at Erin's wedding and Kelly responded. Don't know how to post a pic but here's the text of it:

Elena December 4, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Did Chad decide to use his groom’s cake as a birthday cake for Mr. Gothard? Because I noticed that on his groom’s cake, it says “Happy birthday!†to him and was just wondering. If that’s the case, what a selfless act from him and Erin to include his birthday celebration on their special day!

You and Gil should go out for a weekend getaway after Zach and Whitney get married. Two weddings a month apart?! You two deserve a little relaxation..until Alyssa announces her engagement, that is ;)

Kelly December 5, 2013 at 5:49 am

Dear Elena,

You’re sweet…We’ll probably use the time to gear up for the Christmas holidays!! Yes, it was Mr. Gothard’s birthday and they knew they probably wouldn’t have met if it wasn’t for him! Love, Kelly

T. Gates December 4, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Does the groom’s cake say “happy birthday†to someone?

Kelly December 5, 2013 at 5:47 am

Dear T. Gates,

Yes. It was Mr. Gothard’s birthday and Chad and Erin wanted to honor him since they met through his ministry, and since he has been such an encouragement to them. Love, Kelly

Archived