IGNORED

team bettendorf

1tiredmama

Anyone know what ever happened to her and the kids? I know she got divorced. Sounds like it was rather vicious....par usual for her.

She was always such a mean bitch.

I had just started reading their blog when she took the kids & left. He posted for quite a while after that, and I gathered that there were allegations of sexual abuse against him, that he was of course denying. Their blog is still up, but I don't see his posts. They are on the Wayback machine, though. (try http://web.archive.org/web/201002050842 ... ndorf.com/) I looked up the oldest (Jenna) on FB, and from her saw a couple other kids and Katie (now Katie Webb.) Nothing really informative, they just seem like any random family. I have no idea if they have any contact with dad.

It looks Katie might have changed a bit. I found this article http://ksmu.org/article/do-downtown-spr ... s-so-65509 where she's quoted as saying

Webb, herself, is a former member of what she calls a cult—a religious group that is similar to what she’s seen downtown.

“… I used to be on the other side where I was very judgmental and very condemning of people, and so now to see how they were received and just the negativity it brought to downtown, I thought, you know, we should combat that," she said.

Webb created a few signs of her own and started a group called Positive Presence Downtown—inviting others to share feel-good messages downtown. No religious or political messages are allowed, she says. Messages they share say things like, “You are brilliant†or “You are wonderful.†She says the group has generated more interest than she imagined, and more people are coming up with signs of their own.

I dunno, it doesn't seem that extreme to hold up positive signs to people. It's a way of countering negative expression with positive expression.

2nd and 3rd hand information, afaik, he currently has most of the kids. the custody thing was a humongous mess. But he was exonerated of the sexual abuse allegations and given custody of at least some of the kids. I think for a while she had all the foster kids, but now he has some? or all? One of the older boys was sent somewhere because he had major issues. I'm not sure what the end result has been legally as far as custody goes.

She used to post on a message board that I followed. Interestingly, like a lot of the fundies that get mentioned here, she jumped from one thing to another but whatever her current interest, she always went to the absolute extreme. And harshly derogated anyone who didn't agree with her. She came across as really hyper and extreme in personality.

I have no idea what the truth of the matter is, but that's the grapevine information that I've come across. It is from people who know Jeff, and tend to side with him, so I don't know exactly how much is accurate and how much is their version of events.

ETA: I went and did a search on the one forum, and apparently as of summer of 2013, Jeff has custody of the kids who were already living with him (don't know who or how many). Court ordered therapies for various individuals, court ordered family therapy. And Katie gets minimal supervised visits with the kids he has.

Jenna is on FB, and with Katie, but I think she is an adult now.

I'm actually a friend of Katie's and I'm not about to betray her privacy that she has worked hard to create now. Suffice it to say that I think the only portion of that update that Katie would concur with is that Jeff does currently have custody of some of the children.

I understand the accusation of having an extremist personality. I think it's natural that those who crave black and white, who want structure and rules over their lives are drawn to extremist beliefs and lifestyles. I think we see a lot of that in Fundy women. That doesn't mean they cannot learn and grow and leave that world. There's nothing extremist about the group holding positive signs up downtown. If you read the article, in the comments, there is a nasty attack by Jeff against her. If you go to the YouTube video he claims proves she is being hateful and extremist, the church that posted the video put a specific amendment into the description that she and her group had NOTHING to do with the heckling that occurred on the video and that they love her group and what they are doing. That doesn't say she went to another extreme to me. It says she is trying to spread positive influences at this point in her life.

That is interesting. I have always stayed way back from taking sides because it was such a confusing mess. I have no idea who was in the right or what really went on. One thing that always made me a little leery was that Jeff mentioned several times that the Lundy Bancroft book on abuse led to his wife falsely accusing him of abuse, and was a horrible book that made "any man" look abusive. Reading it years later, I was even more put off by his attitude about it. I found Katie to be very extremist and very caustic at times, but especially after reading the book and going through my own experience with abuse in marriage, I'm definitely not settled that everything Jeff says is the truth.

Archived