IGNORED

Pat Buchanan: Repeal All U.S. Civil Rights Laws

doggie

sue no more racism in the us as long as you are white.

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politi ... ights-laws

February 25, 2014 |

Conservative pundit and former Republican presidential candidate Pat Buchanan suggests in his column today that the U.S. repeal all civil rights laws.

“A radical idea: Suppose we repealed the civil rights laws and fired all the bureaucrats enforcing these laws,†Buchanan writes. “Does anyone think hotels, motels and restaurants across Dixie, from D.C. to Texas, would stop serving black customers? Does anyone think there would again be signs sprouting up reading 'whites' and 'colored' on drinking foundations and restrooms?â€

Buchanan is particularly upset by laws that prevent discrimination against LGBT people, but also claims that laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race and ethnicity are no longer needed. The work of civil rights laws “is done,†he writes, and enforcement mechanisms “exist to validate the slander that America is a racist, sexist, homophobic xenophobic country which would revert to massive discrimination were it not for heroic progressives standing guard.â€

We’ll just note that Pat Buchanan might not be the most convincing person to put forward the argument that institutionalized racism no longer exists in the United States.

Buchanan is so annoying, but he's chiming in on stuff the Paul's have been saying and the tea party is embracing. Apparently, Pat missed this little episode on NPR this morning.

And, it happens that this morning I heard a show on NPR that included the quote

It will take a lot more than a pot of white beans to get Broussard to vote for one particular candidate this November: Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu. The dealbreaker for him was when she voted for the Affordable Care Act.

Broussard has all kinds of problems with the law itself — that it's wrong to force people to buy insurance, that it will make businesses hire less. But there's something else that bothers him: The law is the signature achievement of a man Broussard never wanted to see become president.

"I don't vote for black people, lady," he says. "No, ma'am. I don't vote for black people. They got their place, I got my place. That's the way I was raised."

Broussard says Landrieu votes too much in line with the president's agenda -– he calls her "Obama Lady." But he insists that he might still have voted for her this November if she hadn't supported the Affordable Care Act, because he acknowledges Landrieu has helped the people of her state tremendously since she became a senator in 1997

.npr.org/2014/02/25/281396562/democratic-sen-landrieu-walks-a-fine-line-in-red-louisiana.

I think the fact that I've seen more overt racism since Obama was elected than I have in years would be evidence that racism is not dead.

Pat Buchanan seems to have forgotten that he was one of the whites who was opposed to the Civil Rights Movement in the first place, and now he takes for granted the enormous changes that needed to happen to get to where we are today. However, this view is commonplace among libertarians (Buchanan is a paleo-conservative, though), who assume that in a free market paradise, we'll all be so enlightened that we won't need to have civil rights laws.

Buchanan is so annoying, but he's chiming in on stuff the Paul's have been saying and the tea party is embracing. Apparently, Pat missed this little episode on NPR this morning.

And, it happens that this morning I heard a show on NPR that included the quote

It will take a lot more than a pot of white beans to get Broussard to vote for one particular candidate this November: Democratic Sen. Mary Landrieu. The dealbreaker for him was when she voted for the Affordable Care Act.

Broussard has all kinds of problems with the law itself — that it's wrong to force people to buy insurance, that it will make businesses hire less. But there's something else that bothers him: The law is the signature achievement of a man Broussard never wanted to see become president.

"I don't vote for black people, lady," he says. "No, ma'am. I don't vote for black people. They got their place, I got my place. That's the way I was raised."

Broussard says Landrieu votes too much in line with the president's agenda -– he calls her "Obama Lady." But he insists that he might still have voted for her this November if she hadn't supported the Affordable Care Act, because he acknowledges Landrieu has helped the people of her state tremendously since she became a senator in 1997

.npr.org/2014/02/25/281396562/democratic-sen-landrieu-walks-a-fine-line-in-red-louisiana.

I think the fact that I've seen more overt racism since Obama was elected than I have in years would be evidence that racism is not dead.

I listened to that very segment on NPR yesterday morning.

Yes, I do think that some restaurants and hotels would stop serving certain racial and ethnic groups. There is still racism in this country. Read the comments on any site that allows anonymous posters and you will find shockingly racist statements. It frightens me that some people want to do away with laws that protect people from discrimination.

The establishment is working hard to unempower minorities in this country. Look at what the Supreme Court did in striking down parts of the voting rights act when there is still clear evidence that minorities have to jump through hoops to exercise their right to vote.

I lived and worked in this town for ten years. Trust me, racism is not dead in this country:

http://www.latintimes.com/why-did-fremo ... ers-151807

This brief article only tells part of the story. It doesn't tell about U.S. citizens, some of them children and teens, who happen to be Latino being chased through the WalMart parking lot by people screaming "go back to Mexico". It doesn't tell about high school kids who claim they can tell by looking who is undocumented because "they have a look". It doesn't tell about the guy from Chicago who packed up his Latino family and left because they were tired of their children, who don't speak Spanish, being told to "speak English or go back to Mexico" on the street. It doesn't tell about the guy who came here legally from El Salvador being told he's a "damn Mexican because it is all just Mexico" and he should go back because he is a criminal, merely for the offense of buying his groceries.

I could keep going. This country has a problem with racism.

I live in a northern, deep blue state. I was on call this past weekend with a Fellow who has an "arabic" last name. We saw a patient together. Patient takes one look at my fellow and says, "I refuse to be treated by any immigrant". I said, "I'm sorry you feel that way. Since I am an immigrant from Scotland, I'll hand the case over to my colleague. My fellow here, Dr. X, is from Ohio. He'll continue to take care of you."

Racism is strong in this country.

If there is a god, Pat Buchanan will be reincarnated as a gay black woman.

If there is a God, Pat Buchanan will wake up from today's afternoon nap as a gay black woman. To really stick it to him, he needs to know what he's lost (his privilege).

If there is a God, Pat Buchanan will wake up from today's afternoon nap as a gay black woman. To really stick it to him, he needs to know what he's lost (his privilege).

Even better if he's a gay Muslim black woman.

If there is a god, Pat Buchanan will be reincarnated as a gay black woman.

Sometimes I wonder if instead of sending people to hell, God will reincarnate someone into something they hated. Like God reincarnated Hitler into a Jew. A former pastor of mine brought that up in bible study.

Sometimes I wonder if instead of sending people to hell, God will reincarnate someone into something they hated. Like God reincarnated Hitler into a Jew. A former pastor of mine brought that up in bible study.

That reminds me of part of the plot of Finian's Rainbow. Senator Billboard Rawkins, of the great mythical state of Missitucky, becomes black after Sharon hears him make some racist remarks. She's standing too close to a hidden pot of gold when she makes her wish and Senator Rawkins changes hue. He still is racist, though, and the leprechaun Og casts a spell to make the senator open-minded.

That reminds me of part of the plot of Finian's Rainbow. Senator Billboard Rawkins, of the great mythical state of Missitucky, becomes black after Sharon hears him make some racist remarks. She's standing too close to a hidden pot of gold when she makes her wish and Senator Rawkins changes hue. He still is racist, though, and the leprechaun Og casts a spell to make the senator open-minded.

PennySycamore beat me to it! Of course I thought of Finian's Rainbow right away, too.

:lol:

I also didn't realize that he was still alive! Why can't he just go away!

Because he's like the crazy, racist uncle you have to invite to thanksgiving as a show of respect to elders. Buchanan's credentials as a political insider are solid, and he can command respect just on his past (mis)deeds alone. I don't see how Buchanan's flavor of paleo-conservatism is going to survive outside of the most conservative parts of the rural South, however.

Pat Buchanan is so fucking crazy, I can't even get worked up over the sexist, homophobic bullshit he spews. I just treat him like my old great memaw who had alzheimers. I chuckle at the absurdity of his statements, while being sympathetic towards someone whose brain is obviously malfunctioning.

I'm sure Pat Buchanan won't mind when I put "Irish Need Not Apply" and "We don't serve Papists" signs in my business's front window. : )

I live in a northern, deep blue state. I was on call this past weekend with a Fellow who has an "arabic" last name. We saw a patient together. Patient takes one look at my fellow and says, "I refuse to be treated by any immigrant". I said, "I'm sorry you feel that way. Since I am an immigrant from Scotland, I'll hand the case over to my colleague. My fellow here, Dr. X, is from Ohio. He'll continue to take care of you."

Racism is strong in this country.

This is something I struggle with as well, being a white immigrant with a "British" accent (actually, I'm from New Zealand, but most people here in Ohio struggle to differentiate). I get comments like that I am the "right kind of immigrant" and I have been used (while standing right there) by some people as 'proof' that they don't hate immigrants, just "illegal immigrants". They like "educated and legal immigrants" like me. None of these people have ever actually known my immigration status or educational background, they are simply judging those things by the colour of my skin and the way my accent sounds. Whether their assumptions about me are correct or not, I resent being a poster child to further justify their racism.

This is something I struggle with as well, being a white immigrant with a "British" accent (actually, I'm from New Zealand, but most people here in Ohio struggle to differentiate). I get comments like that I am the "right kind of immigrant" and I have been used (while standing right there) by some people as 'proof' that they don't hate immigrants, just "illegal immigrants". They like "educated and legal immigrants" like me. None of these people have ever actually known my immigration status or educational background, they are simply judging those things by the colour of my skin and the way my accent sounds. Whether their assumptions about me are correct or not, I resent being a poster child to further justify their racism.

They are quite blunt about not having any issue with the status of white, English speaking immigrants here. Someone asked a table of bigots at my sister-in-law's business in the fine city of Fremont how they would feel about illegal Canadians living in town. Immediate answer: "That's different and you know it". Of course, these same ignorant assholes were discussing how there is a problem on the East Coast with "illegals from Puerto Rico". I made it a practice after that to emphasize to my history students that Puerto Rico became a U.S. territory when acquired after the Spanish American War and Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens. The sentiment must have been widespread in town as many kids were surprised.

They are quite blunt about not having any issue with the status of white, English speaking immigrants here. Someone asked a table of bigots at my sister-in-law's business in the fine city of Fremont how they would feel about illegal Canadians living in town. Immediate answer: "That's different and you know it". Of course, these same ignorant assholes were discussing how there is a problem on the East Coast with "illegals from Puerto Rico". I made it a practice after that to emphasize to my history students that Puerto Rico became a U.S. territory when acquired after the Spanish American War and Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens. The sentiment must have been widespread in town as many kids were surprised.

This bugs the CRAP out of me. I have a ton of Puerto Rican friends, and travel to PR fairly often - at least once a year on a slow year. It's amazing to me a) the depth of the racism they get, and b) now uneducated the average American citizen is about PR's status. I've heard people knowledgeably telling their seatmates that PR is British, Spanish, even Dutch, I've heard stories from my friends about having to travel with a US passport because TSA has given them hell for not being citizens. It's INSANE to me. Thank you for teaching your students this!

This bugs the CRAP out of me. I have a ton of Puerto Rican friends, and travel to PR fairly often - at least once a year on a slow year. It's amazing to me a) the depth of the racism they get, and b) now uneducated the average American citizen is about PR's status. I've heard people knowledgeably telling their seatmates that PR is British, Spanish, even Dutch, I've heard stories from my friends about having to travel with a US passport because TSA has given them hell for not being citizens. It's INSANE to me. Thank you for teaching your students this!

A lyric from West Side Story, written in 1957:

"Nobody knows, in America, Puerto Rico's in America."

Archived