IGNORED

Could We All Fit Inside Jacksonville?

luckylassie

Oh, I loved the Alanna books when I was younger!

I've tried other books by Tamora Pierce, but none of them seem to have the draw that that original series had.

What's her new stuff like?

(BTW, I always read Arya Stark as being a lot like Alanna. I love girls who know how to stick 'em with the pointy end!)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw, excellent, book chat!

What is there that's like the Alanna books but has gay female characters? Adult or YA, it's all good. I know there are Tamora Pierce books with a female mage, but I'm looking for others for a youth/young adult project I'm doing.

If we are talking about books, who has read this one:

I really liked it. Loved the photos in it.

Hi ktiscrazy, I am a native also :)

I just had to do the math and it turns out that everyone would have a tiny bit over half a foot, and if you subtract my little half acre (I am not sharing), you would have to have people stacked three high or have people walk on water so they could expand out onto the ocean.

So if we're trying to fit the world's population into Jacksonville, and my ex lives in Jacksonville, can we pack him in the middle of the crowd? :think: ;)

Whoever was asking about glittery purple polish, I recommend OPI's "Handpicked for Me." You have to do a couple coats of it, though...it's kind of light.

I have to bring my dogs, so make room for them. They are small, but bark a lot, so sorry to all the people crammed next to us.

I like the book idea waaaaay more than nail polish! Right now I am reading Maya Angelou's first book "I Know Wht the Caged Bird Sings". I like it so far but I don't know if I like it enough to read all of her other books. I heard her first one was the best one anyway.

I am reading Death Without Weeping, an ethnography of the Brazilian underclass. It is a sad book that I would not read if it weren't a class assignment, although I recommend it to anyone who wants to know what a country with only private charities looks like.

I'm going to need to bring my basset hound to Jacksonville. He's not very tall, but boy is he long. He'll need quite a bit of space. Also, he's pretty much convinced he's houndy royalty so he'll need a lot of space so the

commoners don't get too close.

Aw, excellent, book chat!

What is there that's like the Alanna books but has gay female characters? Adult or YA, it's all good. I know there are Tamora Pierce books with a female mage, but I'm looking for others for a youth/young adult project I'm doing.

Well her last book from the Circle of Magic universe, The Will of the Empress, one of the main characters (Daja) is a lesbian.

I was thinking today about 3 sq ft per person. I live in a 1200 sq ft apartment and there are seven of us. It is soooo crowded. I know people from other countries will think I am being a baby, but in the US, that is simply too little space. And it's a lot more than 3 sq ft!

I'll need a little extra room, if ya'll don't mind, because I'll be bringing two big bird cages with me.

And I'm bringing 5 cats so I don't want to be near anyone bringing their birds.

How was Jacksonville picked as the city to fit the world's population in? I'd prefer the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, it's more scenic.

I have no idea where the Duggar's Jacksonville quote came from, but according to last week's Time magazine the world's population of 7 billion could live in the state of Texas with the poplulation density of NYC. Here's another article about that subject.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/cities/ ... -city/1124

Not saying this would be a good idea, but it is a fun factoid.

I live in West Texas where the population density is something like 1.5 sq. miles per person, so I'm sure we could fit...

ETA: I googled it and it's actually 1.9

I do believe that we could accommodate our population comfortably if we are willing to be more equitable and make sacrifices. I just don't think the Duggars fall in that category.

If you have a child now, you need to ensure that the child grows up to be worth the carbon, worth someone else's sacrifices. The world always needs more scientists, more philanthropists, and more problem solvers. The Duggars are not raising those people. They just aren't. They just take, take, take from the globe. I'm not talking about money, here. Those kids cost water, food and fuel. And, with their level of education and belief system, they will not be giving back in any meaningful way.

Whoever was asking about glittery purple polish, I recommend OPI's "Handpicked for Me." You have to do a couple coats of it, though...it's kind of light.

Ooh ooh, that was me! :greetings-waveyellow: Thanks, I will look for that. I'm in the mood for something sparkly and fun.

I'm going to bring my three dogs, one of whom is farty, one of whom barks a lot, and one of whom hates strangers and tries to bite them.

I'm sure that'll get me at least 100 square feet. :D

I have no idea where the Duggar's Jacksonville quote came from, but according to last week's Time magazine the world's population of 7 billion could live in the state of Texas with the poplulation density of NYC. Here's another article about that subject.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/cities/ ... -city/1124

Not saying this would be a good idea, but it is a fun factoid.

I Boob and Mullet's next FABULOUS trip should be to Calcutta or Mumbai. They need to see a very dense population up close and personal. Maybe that would cure the ignorance.

Ooh ooh, that was me! :greetings-waveyellow: Thanks, I will look for that. I'm in the mood for something sparkly and fun.

I absolutely love it. :D I got it at Sephora - they have their own OPI line (as if I needed more of an excuse to spend money in there...) ;)

I remember doing the math on that when I first heard it. IIRC, each person in the world would have about 3 square feet of room if you put them all in the land area of Jacksonville.

Obviously it doesn't really mean anything, except that it's a quick way for the Duggars to be dismissive of population concerns because it totally ignores the need for resources.

OK, re-did my math: According to Wikipedia, Jacksonville has 767 sq miles in land area (I refuse to count the water area, because, really?), which equals 21,382,732,800 sq ft. Divide that by current world population (6,955,681,482) equals 3.074 sq ft per person.

*edited for math

Each one of the tiles in my building is a square foot. Three square feet is no room at all. You can only stand with that little amount of space. Yes, everyone fits, but can you imagine the horrors of having everyone in that small of a space? The lack of water and food has been mentioned, but what about sanitation? Diseases come to my mind. Trying to fit everyone would be crazy. Stacked inside high rises, traffic hell like no one has ever seen, way overcrowded schools and prisons and hospitals, etc. It would be a complete nightmare and a disaster waiting to happen, including diseases wiping out large numbers of people like the Black Plague. Scary stuff. We need space, simple as that.

The way I see it, the world could fit into Jacksonville only if they stood shoulder-to-shoulder. As for actual living, we'd need at least the whole state of Florida. And then you have to get food somewhere, of course well outside FL (you'd be able to farm a HUGE chunk of the US), so not everyone would live in Florida anyway, they'd have to go too far to farm. Not to mention, the apartment buildings would be really, REALLY tall. Think taller than anything in Dubai tall. No individual houses. I'm not doing any official calculations here, but to even fit inside just Florida you'd have to bulldoze the Everglades, Disney World, etc. (unless this was an alternate history kind of thing, and the entire human race happened to only exist in Florida, but all the natural things still existed). Fuck, people would have to expand into Georgia and Alabama, just for some fucking space. Never mind the massive pollution from having so many people and cars in such a small space.

Gothard really didn't think this one through. He's also ignoring human history, where humans have always settled near water, and just spread out over the course of millenia, usually near other people even if those people were far away from where they started.

I ran the numbers with the population density of some of the most residentially dense parts of Chicago (which run around 30-35K/mi^2), all 7 billion of us would fit in Texas. So it's true that people could very comfortably live more densely than most do, and actually use less resources and produce less pollution, but nowhere near the size of Jacksonville without having densities 10X those of Chicago.

And Gothard is not one to speak for it. Oak Brook's only at a thousand per square mile. Same for the Duggars, in 351.42/mi^2 Tontitown, Arkansas.

[Edit]

Archived