IGNORED

Erin Bates without the hairdo

bal maiden

I came across this pic on the Living the Journey website. Erin looks so different without the hairdo! And Michael actually looks lovely in this pic (despite the teddy bear sweater :roll: ). Amazing how a small amount of spotlight changed the way they dressed... This picture is marked as 2009.

bates-family-1-531x425.jpg

Erin still wears her hair in that updo occasionally. I'm now convinced that she colors it though. It is insane how much they've changed, though it seems that Erin and Alyssa have always been more fashion forward, seeing as they're the only two not wearing frumpers.

Erin most certainly colors her hair.

And I can't get over how Michael looks like no one else in that family to me. Her coloring, her facial features, her build. I'm not trying to start up an idle speculation bus, I'm just shocked when people say they can't believe how much all the girls look like each other. Goes to show that looks really are perceived differently by different people!

And I can't get over how Michael looks like no one else in that family to me. Her coloring, her facial features, her build. I'm not trying to start up an idle speculation bus, I'm just shocked when people say they can't believe how much all the girls look like each other. Goes to show that looks really are perceived differently by different people!

Sounds kind of like my family and me. My mom has joked around about how when I was born she looked at me and said, "She's cute but can I really keep her?" since from birth I've looked different from the rest of my family. While I may resemble them especially if you only compare me to one sibling or relative at a time when everyone else has such striking similarities I've always stood out. When I look at pictures of the Bates family I think the same thing about Michael. To me she looks like she's related to them but the resemblance isn't as strong as it is between others in the family.

Gil's definitely got the crazy eye look in the picture.

His smile is crazy too. He reminds me of the Alfred who always defends Gothard on RG in this picture. They both have that crazy cult look.

The older Addallee gets, the more she looks like Michael IMO. This photo was taken around the same time the Bates family first appeared on the Duggars' TV show. (I think there were only 17 Kids and Counting at the time.)

I think Michael looks a lot like Zach, and you can definitely see both of her parents in her. The Bates kids seem to have a greater variety in appearance than the Duggars.

I was also going to say that I think Zach and Michael look a lot alike and I think Michael and Tori (?) look alike.

I hardly recognized Erin because of the hair color and I had to look twice to find Alyssa.

Carlin is adorable, now and then.

I think Michael looks a lot like Zach, and you can definitely see both of her parents in her. The Bates kids seem to have a greater variety in appearance than the Duggars.

Yeah, some of the Bates kids look more like their cousins than they do each other. The only Duggar kid who looks like Amy is James.

I never noticed that Alyssa's facial features look like Nathan's. And Isaiah looks pretty much like a smaller version of Lawson.

The frumpers....

It seems most of the fundies we follow have ditched their frumpers within the past few years (Duggar, Bates, and Maxwell families come to mind). I wonder why that is? Was there some sort of directive in the fundie community or are these families just updating their look? Does anyone still wear frumpers?

The frumpers....

The first few times they were on 19K&C, their frumpers were EPIC.

The first few times they were on 19K&C, their frumpers were EPIC.

Oh yeah, the colors and the unbelievably wide collars.

I always thought they started ditching the frumpers because the girls started growing up and wanted to wear clothing that complimented their countenances so God could lay it on a boy's heart to think about courtship. Or they realised they looked pretty terrible on TV, conferences, self promotion and blogs. It's another of those things (like courtship as the most extreme example) that they didn't think through fully before embracing it.

Definitely not an abnormal hairdo for her - it's got some volume there, we're just used to full-on bump-it style. Her hair looks brown though!

Yeah, I think what's most different is not the hairdo, but the hair colour... She is definitely dyeing it. I didn't think that was something fundies were allowed to do ? And Kelly is always insisting on how Erin can only achieve those hairstyles because her hair naturally has a texture that holds curls well etc. Well there's nothing natural about that blonde.

All the Duggar ladies die their hair. Do you really believe Michelle doesn't have greys? Actually, maybe Jana and Jill don't. But Michelle, Mary, Jessa and Jinger do.

I presume hair dye is okay in ATI. Gothard dyes his hair after all (although then again, by ATI standards, he would be a chewed up piece of gum, or a flower that has been trampled on by everyone, for touching so many people he isn't married to in sexual ways).

Archived