IGNORED

Kristina has a new blog post up

library_youth

She sounds like she's in a high risk category, if they expect her only to get to 34 weeks

And she said they won't let her go past 38. Is that normal for twins? Seems early to me.

I agree, it doesn't sound like things are doing "great." I hope she doesn't get pregnant again anytime soon. I think they would never use birth control but with 3 kids 1 and under they'll probably be too tired to get pregnant anyway.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not related to her pregnancy, but in the entry before that she labeled on of her pictures "My soak and wet baby girl" but that makes no sense, so I just assume she means "My soaking wet baby girl". What irks me is that she almost certainly plans to homeschool her children, but she can't even figure out what the words in a common phrase are.

Although, hey, having three kids born in less than a year is certainly helpful for homeschooling. She can just teach them all together.

And she said they won't let her go past 38. Is that normal for twins? Seems early to me.

From someone I know who had twins, I seem to remember that they actually don't want twin pregnancies to go 40 weeks, but I'm not sure why. She said 36 weeks was ideal.

I believe they get squished up after 38 weeks (the technical term) which increases the chances of complication and difficult birth - 36-38 weeks is ideal, iirc?

Not related to her pregnancy, but in the entry before that she labeled on of her pictures "My soak and wet baby girl" but that makes no sense, so I just assume she means "My soaking wet baby girl". What irks me is that she almost certainly plans to homeschool her children, but she can't even figure out what the words in a common phrase are.

Although, hey, having three kids born in less than a year is certainly helpful for homeschooling. She can just teach them all together.

Well, we definitely don't have to worry about any of the fundies in these home schooled generations taking over the country. At this rate, 3 or 4 generation from now, no one will be able to read or add two numbers together.

Well, we definitely don't have to worry about any of the fundies in these home schooled generations taking over the country. At this rate, 3 or 4 generation from now, no one will be able to read or add two numbers together.

I totally agree with that and have often reasoned (with myself, to make myself feel better for the future generations of my family) that there is no real threat from these future adults because of their sub-standard education. Since the girls don't go to college or get jobs, there is no one to correct them or improve upon what they learn at the SOTDRT, so they will only pass on what they know - and the quality of that will decrease with each generation until none of them knows a damn thing except how to recite the bible.

It's probably a sign that she's not a reader, so she's heard the phrase but never seen it written down. Or she just had a brain skip when labeling that one photo.

Problem is that the fundy elite are getting a good education.

These 'lower' people will serve as mindless drones to vote them in and support them. They will be completely uneducated, have a severe perversion of scripture lodged in their heads, and fear mongered. In other words, perfect, willing, even gleeful victims,

It's probably a sign that she's not a reader, so she's heard the phrase but never seen it written down. Or she just had a brain skip when labeling that one photo.

I bet you're right! I had the opposite problem when I was younger...I was always mispronouncing words because I'd read them but never heard them.

Careful there! My siblings and I were all homeschooled and out of four, three have bachelors degrees, one has started on a masters degree, and one is working full time so is still working on her bachelors (guess which one that is!). Homeschooled doesn't automatically equal poorly educated.

Problem is that the fundy elite are getting a good education.

These 'lower' people will serve as mindless drones to vote them in and support them. They will be completely uneducated, have a severe perversion of scripture lodged in their heads, and fear mongered. In other words, perfect, willing, even gleeful victims,

Couldn't a group of uneducated angry people who have been taught to consider their problems a sign of the world's unfairness toward them, be more dangerous? Even worse, what if a leader arises who is willing to manipulate such a group's discontent.

Careful there! My siblings and I were all homeschooled and out of four, three have bachelors degrees, one has started on a masters degree, and one is working full time so is still working on her bachelors (guess which one that is!). Homeschooled doesn't automatically equal poorly educated.

Because of the word, fundie, in the sentence, you can tell that Childless' comment was not aimed at most homeschoolers. She is talking about a specific subset of homeschoolers.

I think she is talking about the many fundies that don't educate their kids. I never got the impression that education was a big priority for Kristina and her sister. As long as she could cook and clean everything would be okay because, according to her blog, there is never going to be a time when she is going to need to get a job and support herself.

I bet you're right! I had the opposite problem when I was younger...I was always mispronouncing words because I'd read them but never heard them.

Me too. My dad was an English teacher and says that he can always tell kids who are big readers because they use difficult words correctly and can spell them just fine but have no idea how to pronounce them. I imagine the opposite problem, which leads people to write things like, "Soak and wet" instead of "Soaking wet," is just as common.

Yep, that's a common problem for young children who read a lot. I was not a total bookworm as a kid (to my own shame), but I do have some instances like this. For example, I still have to resist the urge to pronounce awry as 'aw-ree' instead of 'a-rye'.

And yes, it's possible that Kristina just had a brain skip. I tend to have problems with homophones when I am typing, because I narrate to myself and my fingers just obey. So because I tend pronounce 'our' the same way as 'are' I make that mistake a lot. But there's something about 'soak and wet' that just strikes me as implying she doesn't know the actual phrase. And if she's that little of a reader, I maintain that she should not be educating her children.

Yet, by having a blog, she's a writer. Others of her ilk will read her blog, and be mis-educated that this is correct.

"Soaking wet" is such an easy phrase that I don't believe it's a brain skip. We're not talking about an uncommonly used or difficult to spell word, such as schadenfreude.

It's not even "their" or "there" or "your" or "you're". "Soaking wet" a phrase that you could only mess up if you had heard it and never read it. Where does she live? Because around here a lot of people do pronounce it in a way that it sounds "soak and wet".

"Soaking wet" is such an easy phrase that I don't believe it's a brain skip.

I'm inclined to agree. I just wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt to cover all my bases.

In an entry from 2006, written before she was married, she wrote:

If I had to chose between my Bible and my education, I will take my Bible!! My education will not bring me a Godly husband, and my education will not bring me close to God and help me live a clean life before Him.. You may say "The Bible won't either." , but by having my Bible I know to pray for a Godly husband, and I know to pray for God's help to live a clean life. The Bible does tell us how to get close to God and how to live for Him.

I pray that this was a help to someone, I felt impressed to do this. Hope it was a help.

So...I guess that's our answer. She doesn't seem like a very well-educated or curious person. It's not like you need a master's degree to know the phrase is actually "soaking wet." She should've had that figured out when she was still a little kid.

ETA: Whoa, what? kristinaskeeps.blogspot.com/2011/03/nausea-anyone.html She didn't like her prenatal vitamins, so she's taking Flintstones vitamins instead? Um...is that a good idea? I'm not a doctor or anything, but it doesn't seem like prenatal vitamins are things you can just sub out with children's chewables.

She should've had that figured out when she was still a little kid.

Especially since this is a phrase that parents probably say to young children often, especially when it comes to diapers, or playing in/around water.

Additionally, this shows you that the word "soak" wasn't used very often in their house, or in different ways. If you never read the phrase "soaking wet", but dirty clothes were pre-soaked, or an article of clothing was currently soaking, or someone explained how they soaked the sponge in a bucket of soapsuds when washing a car, etc., you'd have a handle on the word "soak" and the different ways in which it's used.

We're talking about a simple, common word like "soak", not tessellate.

Couldn't a group of uneducated angry people who have been taught to consider their problems a sign of the world's unfairness toward them, be more dangerous? Even worse, what if a leader arises who is willing to manipulate such a group's discontent.

That, too.

ETA: Whoa, what? kristinaskeeps.blogspot.com/2011/03/nausea-anyone.html She didn't like her prenatal vitamins, so she's taking Flintstones vitamins instead? Um...is that a good idea? I'm not a doctor or anything, but it doesn't seem like prenatal vitamins are things you can just sub out with children's chewables.

I did this because I could not handle the horse pill prenatals. My doc was fine with it, told me to take two. Mine were buggs bunny, though. :whistle:

I did this because I could not handle the horse pill prenatals. My doc was fine with it, told me to take two. Mine were buggs bunny, though. :whistle:

I still take them. :shhh: The coating on regular vitamins kills my stomach, so I take Flintstones. When I compared the back label, they were just about identical to my Centrum adult vitamins. To stay on topic though, I have heard of many women taking Flintstones instead of prenatals because of morning sickness.

I didn't realize Kristina has fibromyalgia. I really feel for her then, because we suspect I have it as well (hard to get a diagnosis for it) and it's hell.

I don't know a lot about fibromalgia, but isn't that a recipe for disaster? Imagine she has a big crisis, is alone at home with three kids under 18 months old.... can she even pick up the phone? What does she do in the time it takes to find help and the help to get there? O_o

Many vitamin companies make gummies for grownups now :dance: I like them in comparison to regular multis because the regular ones taste disgusting. I don't think I've ever seen one specifically formulated as a pre-natal vitamin, but I guess even kids vites are better than nothing if they'll stay down.

Archived