IGNORED

Muslim Woman: discovers treated better without hijab.

doggie

Uhh...what you just posted is almost word for word what my minister said in Bible class last week. I totally agree with you.

I like your minister! Stay with that one. They don't all have the above line of thinking. Your minister sounds awesome.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The argument is not that God or Jesus requires a woman to cover her head. It is that some people take on outer manifestations to remind themselves of their inner religious commitments. Seriously, theologygeek, what is the problem here? Neither the Orthodox or Catholicism say that a woman MUST cover her head, or that headcovering is necessary for a Christian woman.

Danvillebelle said she covers because the bible tells her to. I have a problem with Corinthians literalists. Do you realize how many problems in the world stemmed from Paul's letters to the Corinthians from people who took those verses literally? I am still waiting for an answer from danvillebelle on what she thinks of 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 and if she thinks that homosexuality is a sin.

Oh yeah, in the Greek Orthodox Church women were wearing hats or headcoverings into the 1960s. However, we never had a council about it. In the 70s most of them just stopped. They practice had also stopped independently in the diaspora. Even though she knew she could, my grandmother who died 2 years ago never went to church without a hat and gloves, ingrained habit. When we went with her, we NEVER had hats or headcoverings, and she never remarked on that.

I was raised Armenian Orthodox. You do have to wear a head covering if you go for communion, but you would also see many of the older women wear one for the whole service (whether a hat or a lacy scarf) but not as much on the younger women. You see less and less of it as the older ones pass away, which is sad both as losing people you've known all your life and as a passing of an era. Besides, eventually we're going to lose the last generation that knows when to stand and sit during the service!

• 1 year later...

I hijab is nothing about a religious covering. It's got nothing to do with politics. I am an American female who grew up in the Midwest. I covereted at 30, and am read to wear hijab. Covering a completely personal thing an has nothing do with politics. Why can I not cover my hair, but a nun can? A nun is not shunned as a Muslim woman is due to racism and hate. That has to stop.

Archived