IGNORED

Youtube Quiverfull Documentary (Short but telling)

luckylassie

If any of you ever get the chance, search on you tube and type in "Quiverfull". The video is the fist thumbnail that comes up and the video is posted by paulmartson. Anyway, it shows a fundie family in Virginia being interviewed by Jennifer London (of World Report). The family has seven kids and are admittedly part of the quiverfull movement. The parents (Brad and Allison Shed) raise their kids much like the Duggars. The oldest daughter Olivia, basically mothers her younger sisters (there is only one boy in the family). She talks very bubbly like the Duggar's Jill and is (from her words) pefectly content to practice her future role as Godly wife and homemaker. It is quite the interesting video.

I think its quite interesting, but no realistic picture of what the average Quiverfull family looks like. This family has "only" 7 children in 4 bedroom house and they seem to be wealthy.

I think the really early Duggar specials like "14 kids and pregnant again" give a much more realistic inside look into the movement (still we only get to see the "nice" aspects.. nothing about abuse etc.) than this video.

But thank you for posting!!

the mom wears pants!!! ok she has a long shirt - quite like arabic style actually - that covers the defrauding parts of pants...

anyone else thinks the guy has a creepy face? is it a requirement to be a conservative preacher? (srsly, I think about Kourtney's husband at sweet tea and buttermilk blog)

Yeah..it's really short and shows a nice, wealthy, family (by the looks of it). The oldest daughter really spewed the party line though. IMO

When Olivia said "....my mama's training me and my sisters to be helpmate's someday for our husbands" it made me thing she really was drinking some kool aid. She may have meant every word of it but the happy smiley tone kind of creeped me out. I don't know why.

When Olivia said "....my mama's training me and my sisters to be helpmate's someday for our husbands" it made me thing she really was drinking some kool aid. She may have meant every word of it but the happy smiley tone kind of creeped me out. I don't know why.

the more I think about it, the creepier this is... that you get some hands on knowledge about babies or keeping a home is good (for both boys and girls) so if they were saying I'm getting trained to be able to raise kids or keep a home, that would be less creepy than I'm getting trained to care for a husband... like he needs to be fed, clothed, and burped... O_O

That's how I thought of it too. Oh well, to own his each I guess. The girl was only twelve but she seemed much older.

It was kind of like the Duggars in a way when the mom was sitting down eating with the husband while the older girls were busy in the kitchen.

Yes, it was really similar. But they showed the boy do some cooking stuff, which I liked. I was really surprised that a preacher earns that much money to have a house like this.

Yeah. Most preachers (that I know of) make an okay living. That house was really nice. The part with the boy helping was good.

I also would have liked to see the full video. Poor Olivia! I wonder if Jana has any tips for her. And I also echo the not realistic with the size of the house. I did like that the interviewer didn't "keep sweet" and inquired about if they were raising or training their children.

• 5 years later...
On 8/15/2011 at 7:42 AM, ophelia said:

I think its quite interesting, but no realistic picture of what the average Quiverfull family looks like. This family has "only" 7 children in 4 bedroom house and they seem to be wealthy.

I think the really early Duggar specials like "14 kids and pregnant again" give a much more realistic inside look into the movement (still we only get to see the "nice" aspects.. nothing about abuse etc.) than this video.

But thank you for posting!!

I don't know if this is true but I heard somewhere for every 1 quiverfull family that is living with money and fairly there are 100 who are struggling and poor...

• 2 weeks later...

They now have 8 children, a second son. Olivia is now at college and a dancer from what I've seen.

Agreed on how they seem to be wealthy.

Archived