IGNORED

The Christian Dominionist parallel economy

Hane

I've seen enough in this life to know the way kids turn out, is not always a reflection on the parents, and if kids DO go astray, does in no way mean their parents were 'bad'. Also, if your kids turn out great, doesn't mean you were a great parent yourself. Sometimes, it truly is 'nature', not 'nurture'.

Yes I always check my wallet when dealing with such christians. My wife works for this christian company and they will rip their workings off any chance they get. finally had to comply with oregon break requirements and you should hear the complaining.

This actually makes me sad because my family's business is run as a Christian company. As far as I know most if not all of our employees are Christians of one denomination or another. Obviously it's not a requirement of employment. I just find it sad that people who are supposed to be followers of Christ have tainted people against other Christian business owners.

ETA: Just for the record though we don't discriminate against anyone, employee or customer.

That really reminds me of a friend who told me in all seriousness about how glad she was to be marrying a religious Catholic guy because she knew he would never cheat on her. :roll:

A college friend told me about a girl who she went to high school with who was majoring in Spanish. At her college, students majoring in a foreign language were required to study abroad in a country that used that language. Her options were Mexico or Spain--but she didn't want to go to either, because she once had a Catholic boyfriend who cheated on her.

Slightly off topic, but I've always been curious, has anyone else noticed that the kids who are members of the megachurch youth groups seem to have a much higher screw up rate than the general population? It seems nearly every kid I know who was a member of these groups and shoved the Bible down my throat in school didn't go on to college (Christian or otherwise), had money issues, had a baby young and unmarried, had legal issues (DUIs, theft, bankruptcies) and/or had drug issues. Not that these things didn't happen to others kids from my school or that I haven't made plenty of mistakes of my own, but the increased rate of its occurence amongst the Christian kids seemed significantly higher. I was interested in the theories on that.

I don't have a huge sample size as I have avoided these people like the plague, but 3 of my closest friends in high school went evangelical/fundie lite. One is married with kids and remains fundie lite with a heavy emphasis on anti-choice work. One married a pastor who left her (and their 3 children) for another woman. She has become more fundie but does not view her husband leaving her as her fault. The third is bumming around southern California with no education and part-time work. None of them are exactly stunning endorsements for the lifestyle.

Archived