IGNORED

Ten Simple Rules...

GolightlyGrrl

If SSM wants to live in a world where she has no right to refuse her husband sex, can't vote, has to be part of a harem, etc., then she's more than free to do so. No one is stopping her. She has the right to live her life as she sees fit. But, so do I. She has no right to dictate what my marriage should look like, what rights I have as a human being and U.S. citizen, and what career I choose to pursue. She spouts off about less government, but then goes on to say how much she wants government to control people's personal lives. She thinks government shouldn't be in the business of sanctioning marriages, but thinks they should pass laws on how people act in them. It makes no sense.

Do these people ever think about the consequences of creating a country like this? How many international businesses will pack up and go for fear of looking like they support this nonsense? How many of our "job creators" will leave the country for fear of what insane laws the government will pass next? How many families will slip into poverty once women can no longer work or collect welfare? Poverty will sky rocket and with increased poverty comes increased desperation which leads to increased crime. I've been to third world countries where this is happening. I'm pretty sure SSM, Lori, and Zsu would not want to live there. Plus, when you marginalize people enough, revolution and war happens. We're lucky enough to live in a pretty stable society right now. Why would anyone want to jeopardize that?

I sent a news tip to Huff Post with a link to Sunshine Mary's blog. It might seem silly but I don't want her ideas to spread throughout the far right and become part of the mainstream Republican platform. A few years ago we wouldn't have thought that we would still be fighting about the right to an abortion or birth control so maybe shining a light on the beginnings of such extreme views will help. Or more likely, Huff Post will ignore my link.

Didn't Ann Coulter say that women shouldn't have the vote?

http://mediamatters.org/research/2007/1 ... -we/140037

FUCK YOU SSM.

My mom is an advanced EMT. She trives in the job. She loves it, and she loves caring for people in some of the worst situations of their lives.

Now, while MEN CAN BE NURTURING AND CARING, and I've seen it, sometimes having a woman on that ambulance crew is a real blessing. Like when they are called to a rape. Or when they are called to a car accident and small children are hurt. Or when a family is really upset sometimes a woman can help calm things down. Or you just want someone eminently qualified and you don't give a fuck what's in their pants.

Now to be very clear, the 2 times I've personally called the ambulance in her area for help, the crews were all men. One of the men was incredibly kind and caring to my grandmother having a heart attack, and another man comforted and had my sister with an open fracture laughing. Men can do this too. Sometimes the assumptions we make about the genders just makes things a bit easier for a woman.

I would hate to see my mom's life without this job. She pulls her own weight, scrubs the ambulances with the men, lifts heavy cots and extra large people with the men.

Now years ago, it was a big deal that my mom would wear her uniform pants to church when on call. We are LDS. Pants are a big thing. :angry-banghead: One of the ladies :music-tool: who made the biggest stink about it ended up guess what.... needing an ambulance at home during church. My mom said she was her absolute most professional, :disgust: but amazingly no one peeped about her pants after that.

This is also proof that she doesn't know what first responders can and do include. Yes, it includes people who run into the burning building while others are running out, but it is also includes a boatload of coordination and management and preplanning and working from a command center. And from what I've seen, the women can manage that as well as the men, and the men aren't trying to protect the women from the what... computer boards and call banks and strategy sessions? For every boat of responders going through a flood area to rescue people, there are also first responders coordinating the shelters, managing outside teams who are part of mutual aid and directing the volunteers.

Someone wrote in the comments: "The usa has never had a civil war and most likely never will."

Someone missed a week in history class...

How can you miss learning about the entire Civil War?! I can understand not knowing tons of details but to not know it even happened?

How can you miss learning about the entire Civil War?! I can understand not knowing tons of details but to not know it even happened?

OK, I'll have to research it a bit, BUT-- I read some inane post on some site that said the term Civil War for the US Civil War was a misnomer. Will look and come back.

Sounds like that is going to become a "thing".

politicalchips.org/profiles/blogs/civil-war-myths

Why people want to rename the civil war, or deny it. I don't see a ton of this, but I suspect if we read the "right" books, we'd see more of it.

I had a major WTF moment when I read this a while back. It is part of the "states rights" and "Virtuous South" argument.

First, why do we refer to it as a “Civil War?†A Civil War is a war between organized groups within a country with the aim of taking control of the country to achieve independence or to change government policies. The southern states had been unable to persuade congress to correct the taxing inequities that caused the agricultural south to pay a disproportional amount of taxes than the industrial north. In other words their civil rights had been violated and they took the only action left to correct the inequities by seceding. Didn’t the Confederates win the first battle at Manassas? If it were truly a Civil War, they would have marched into Washington DC and taken over the federal Government. But that wasn’t their objective. They didn’t want to take control of the country. All they wanted to do was to separate from the Union as was permitted by the Constitution.

Instead of referring to the war as a “Civil Warâ€, it is more appropriate to call it ‘The War Between the States†or maybe even “The Civil Rights War.â€

Whenever I read bullshit like Lori and SSM spew, I always think of this passage from The Handmaid's Tale. Be careful what you wish for...

In the garden behind the house the Commander’s Wife is sitting, in the chair she’s had brought out. Serena Joy, what a stupid name. It’s like something you’d put on your hair, in the other time, the time before, to straighten it. Serena Joy, it would say on the bottle, with a woman’s head in cut-paper silhouette on a pink oval background with scalloped gold edges. With everything to choose from in the way of names, why did she pick that one? Serena Joy was never her real name, not even then. Her real name was Pam. I read that in a profile on her, in a news magazine, long after I’d first watched her singing while my mother slept in on Sunday mornings. By that time she was worthy of a profile: Time or Newsweek it was, it must have been. She wasn’t singing any more by then, she was making speeches. She was good at it. Her speeches were about the sanctity of the home, about how women should stay home. Serena Joy didn’t do this herself, she made speeches instead, but she presented this failure of hers as a sacrifice she was making for the good of all...

...She doesn’t make speeches any more. She has become speechless. She stays in her home, but it doesn’t seem to agree with her. How furious she must be, now that she’s been taken at her word.

" She haves a link to a blog who say : Welcome to Throne and Altar, the web page/blog devoted to defending the legitimate authority of God, tradition, fathers, and kings against the diabolical partisans of freedom and equality"

:zombie: :zombie:

OK, I'll have to research it a bit, BUT-- I read some inane post on some site that said the term Civil War for the US Civil War was a misnomer. Will look and come back.

Sounds like that is going to become a "thing".

Oh good grief. These people are insane. And they claim the liberals are rewriting history.

I am a grad student in history in the South, and unfortunately we have a lot of nutters in the undergrad wing of our program who believe the "we didn't really have a civil war" thing. From what I understand, it's because the CSA declared itself a separate country. So you can't have a civil war between two separate nations. Or something like that.

SSM's rules are so repugnant, but I still can't wrap my mind on why she has embraced this ideology so fervently. What happened in her past to make her hate the rights and equality women (and men) fought for so diligently? Has being married to a contemptuous, anger-filled philanderer so damaging to her psyche that she doesn't see the value in education, independence, voting, reproductive rights, etc.?

Oh, SSM also hates gay people:

sunshinemaryandthedragon.wordpress.com/2014/02/08/homosexuals-are-the-u-s-s-cheap-political-hookers/

This is also proof that she doesn't know what first responders can and do include. Yes, it includes people who run into the burning building while others are running out, but it is also includes a boatload of coordination and management and preplanning and working from a command center. And from what I've seen, the women can manage that as well as the men, and the men aren't trying to protect the women from the what... computer boards and call banks and strategy sessions? For every boat of responders going through a flood area to rescue people, there are also first responders coordinating the shelters, managing outside teams who are part of mutual aid and directing the volunteers.

EMT's don't go into danger typically. They stage somewhere until the police or fire department declare the scene secure. An EMT charging into danger is just another person the police or fire fighters have to rescue. A hurt EMT takes away resources from the injured. I was an EMT and "Scene safety" is up there with personal protection gear (gloves) as standard on every call. Now if women want to be firefighters or cops, I don't have a problem with that one bit, but there is a lot to first response that isn't busting down doors.

SSM's rules are so repugnant, but I still can't wrap my mind on why she has embraced this ideology so fervently. What happened in her past to make her hate the rights and equality women (and men) fought for so diligently? Has being married to a contemptuous, anger-filled philanderer so damaging to her psyche that she doesn't see the value in education, independence, voting, reproductive rights, etc.?

Oh, SSM also hates gay people:

sunshinemaryandthedragon.wordpress.com/2014/02/08/homosexuals-are-the-u-s-s-cheap-political-hookers/

Exactly what I wonder. Is it the husband or does it stem from childhood, or is it a kink that makes her like being kept under someone's thumb.

But as someone upthread said, it's not that SHE likes these things that is troublesome. It's that she think these rules should somehow be made universal that's the problem.

She really doesn't have much chance of changing anything for her version of "the better" if she's not allowed to vote or say anything more than "Yes, sir." Even if she did campaign a la Phyllis Schlafly, the backlash would knock her out cold. But then, she probably likes being knocked out...

Maybe it's a stretch, but I wonder if Sunshine Mary is just Razing Ruth's troll creator spinning another web of lies.

Hey, SSM, there's a place where they did all this. It's called Afghanistan under the Taliban. How'd it work out- for both men and women? Really want to try it here?

Hey, SSM, there's a place where they did all this. It's called Afghanistan under the Taliban. How'd it work out- for both men and women? Really want to try it here?

My guess is that she believes that a Christian theocracy is somehow better than a Muslim one even if both types of religious government would treat women exactly the same.

HOLY BALLS. I find it soo hard to believe there are actual women in this country who think this:

Eliminate over-reaching domestic abuse legislation. There should also be no more relying on a woman’s word; rather, there should be clear cut evidence of physical violence (black eye, bruise, cut, burn) before a man is arrested.

Yeahhh, fuck me and what I say! I can't be trusted! How does this person not know that sometimes real actual abuse does not leave a mark!?! Frightening.

if she refuses to give it to him, he should have the option to take what is rightfully his.

I'm so glad I don't live in her sick twisted world. So glad. Also glad that I have a husband who wouldn't want to have sex with me if I wasn't also wanting it.

It also puts an extra burden on the woman’s male colleagues, who will have a natural desire to protect her.

That says a lot of shitty things about male police officers/military men, etc. They don't have any desire to protect their fellow men? I'm pretty sure the fucking military is all about "leave no man behind" whether they are men or women.

Eliminate over-reaching domestic abuse legislation. There should also be no more relying on a woman’s word; rather, there should be clear cut evidence of physical violence (black eye, bruise, cut, burn) before a man is arrested.

That just encourages abusers to be more creative in making sure they don't cause bruises, or lock the victim in the house until her injuries have healed.

Archived