IGNORED

You Can’t Stereotype Blacks For “Doing What They Do�

doggie

I love how members of the GOP trying to prove what they are not just prove without a doubt that they really are. over and over and they never learn.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/02/01 ... tereotype/

Struggling to recover from accusations of racial insensitivity, a Republican lawmaker in Colorado explained to reporters that you can’t stereotype the chicken eating black people.

Senator Vicki Marble said she learned to smoke meat from her “black friends down in Texas.†Apparently these black friends of hers lived with her, in her home, at one time. “Did we talk about cooking?†She asked. “Yes, the whole time,†she also answered.

Marble says black people make the best barbeque - and chicken too.

Marble went into even more detail about the diet of African Americans, when she said

“I’ve never had better barbecue and better chicken and ate better in my life than when you go down south and you — I mean love it and everybody loves it.â€

What is quite possibly the most mind blowing comment ever made by a politician, came next.

“You can’t stereotype them (black people) for doing what they do.â€

Marble explained that diet and exercise are what the black community needs.

Marble’s comments were made in regards to a study which was conducted by the Economic Opportunity Poverty Reduction Task Force. The study centered around poverty and racial disparity. After the study was released, Marble said that she thought it should have focused more on ‘drug abuse and poor diet’ in the African American and Latino communities.

Factually speaking, the rate of drug abuse is higher among white people than it is among black people.

Senator Marble also cited two health problems, sickle cell anemia and diabetes, although she didn’t go so far as to say how either actually related to the results of the study. She did suggest that diet and exercise would be helpful for African Americans. Never mind that sickle cell anemia is a heredity blood disorder or that more white and latino people suffer from diabetes, than black people.

“If there’s sensitivities, that’s the way it is. People aren’t all the same. You don’t just cookie-cutter them out and say, ‘You have to listen to this’. But it would be nice to have an honest conversation to help educate them on what is actually happening and to prevent that with diet and exercise.â€

Nope, no stereotype here.

In a nutshell, this republican senator said “You can’t stereotype the chicken eating, drug abusing, lazy black people, for doing what they do.†It’s almost mind blowing how many stereotypes Marble managed to put forward, while at the same time, denying that she’s guilty of using stereotypes.

I know the idiot thinks she is so not a Racist. Reminds me of the some of my best friends are gay and they are happy with my stance on gay marriage argument.

While what she said was tactless and offensive, statistically there are higher rates of obesity among Hispanics and blacks. I'm hoping that she was just trying to draw attention to the problems that these groups face, as far as inadequate education and lack of access to unprocessed, highly nutritional foods. I worry that in an attempt to seem as non-racist as possible, we do nothing to help these communities that do need more support to maintain healthy lifestyles.

Of course, to make any significant change, it would be nice if the spokespeople in charge of bettering communities did not make comments like "You can't stereotype them for doing what they do."

http://www.cdc.gov/Features/dsObesityAdults/

While what she said was tactless and offensive, statistically there are higher rates of obesity among Hispanics and blacks. I'm hoping that she was just trying to draw attention to the problems that these groups face, as far as inadequate education and lack of access to unprocessed, highly nutritional foods. I worry that in an attempt to seem as non-racist as possible, we do nothing to help these communities that do need more support to maintain healthy lifestyles.

Of course, to make any significant change, it would be nice if the spokespeople in charge of bettering communities did not make comments like "You can't stereotype them for doing what they do."

It's because poverty, or there is something genetic ?

It seemed like from the article she was doing the exact opposite of that. The study she made these comments in response to was about economic and racial disparity. She could have taken it as an opportunity to talk about serious concerns such as food deserts but instead choose to go on about her token black friends who make the best fried chicken as if that's simply what they do.

Bitch please! Your attempt to clarify your earlier statement makes you look like a bigger racist.

It's because poverty, or there is something genetic ?

Likely poverty. Studies done both in the US and in more racially/ethnically homogenous areas suggest strong links between poverty and high body weights.

Studies also show that high numbers (44% in one study) of poor children in the "obese" BMI category eat too few calories daily, not too many. The hypothesis is that children's metabolisms don't develop properly in the absence of balanced macro- and micronutrients. So the "reduce calories in school meals" approach to addressing childhood obesity is likely doomed to fail the most at-risk populations, for whom school meals may be their most reliable source of nutrients.

I don't digest my food well so it is easy to get too few calories and I never loose weight I have to to eat a lot to Loire weight. When your body goes into starvation mode it is easy to gain weight.

Likely poverty. Studies done both in the US and in more racially/ethnically homogenous areas suggest strong links between poverty and high body weights.

Studies also show that high numbers (44% in one study) of poor children in the "obese" BMI category eat too few calories daily, not too many. The hypothesis is that children's metabolisms don't develop properly in the absence of balanced macro- and micronutrients. So the "reduce calories in school meals" approach to addressing childhood obesity is likely doomed to fail the most at-risk populations, for whom school meals may be their most reliable source of nutrients.

The part I bolded above is fascinating. Do you have links for those studies? (not that I don't believe you, I'd just be interested in reading them myself/learning more)

It seemed like from the article she was doing the exact opposite of that. The study she made these comments in response to was about economic and racial disparity. She could have taken it as an opportunity to talk about serious concerns such as food deserts but instead choose to go on about her token black friends who make the best fried chicken as if that's simply what they do.

Clearly Marble is an idiot. But the article seems to dismiss the problems of racial and economic disparity in an even more damaging way than Marble does. Flippantly saying "white and hispanic people have more diabetes, so talking about diabetes in the black community is a racist stereotype!" doesn't do anything to help people in the black community who do struggle with health issues associated with their living situations (poverty, food deserts, lack of education). Just because something is "more" of a problem in one racial group, doesn't mean it's not also a problem in another.

Typical GOP attitude. Why any minority or woman for that matter supports them continues to dumbfound me.

I've seen statements like this frequently and want to share my two cents. I in no way agree with or endorse what she said or the mindset behind it, but isn't categorizing her behavior as being typical of the GOP a type of stereotyping as well? I'm a female who is registered Republican but my alignment with the GOP is based on fiscal policy and defense-related issues. In terms of social and environmental issues, I'm definitely liberal. I have friends across a broad spectrum of beliefs, lifestyles, sexuality, race, etc, and would like to consider myself to be open-minded even though I have the dreaded "R" on my voter registration card. :wink-kitty:

Ironically, my best friend - a minority female - is one of the most ultra-conservative people I know. She and her husband used to watch Rush Limbaugh frequently, which I never really understood for many reasons. I am definitely not a fan of him or O'Reilly and I vote across party lines regularly.

Those studies I referred to include [link=http://www.princeton.edu/~jcurrie/publications/Poverty_Food_Insecurity.pdf]this[/link] large study, finding a link between low levels of nutrients in blood serum among poor children and higher BMI, [link=http://www.sahrc.org/sites/default/files/Diabetes%20Risk%20JADA.pdf]this study[/link] found a high percentage of obese children among the population consuming significantly fewer calories than recommended (I misremembered the number as 44%, but it was 33%, my mistake!); [link=http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/55889/2/fcndp213.pdf]this study[/link] focuses on a link between poor micronutrition and obesity in developing economies.

There's a Canadian study I can't find at the moment with results very similar to the second study I linked as well.

"But it would be nice to have an honest conversation to help educate them on what is actually happening and to prevent that with diet and exercise.â€

Oh fuck off you patronizing cow.

I'm a female who is registered Republican but my alignment with the GOP is based on fiscal policy and defense-related issues.

Pardon my curiosity, but upon what are you basing your favorable opinion of the Republican party's fiscal and defense policies?

Pardon my curiosity, but upon what are you basing your favorable opinion of the Republican party's fiscal and defense policies?

No problem - my support focuses on fiscal responsibility and limiting the federal deficit so I'm opposed to raising the debt ceiling. I think the government needs to make getting a more balanced budget a priority, though I realize this is a long shot, especially since earmarking runs rampant among both parties. And, even though I'm a Federal employee, I think the government should be downsized. I am not comfortable going into detail (the thing about not biting the hand that feeds you, LOL) but I think the reduction should be in terms of FTEs, not Federal programs, especially assistance ones.

On the other hand, I think corporations should pay higher taxes and some non-wage sources of income should have more progressive rates (cap gains, dividends above a certain threshold, etc), and I strongly support raising the minimum wage, so I'm not 100% in line with the GOP on all issues.

In terms of defense - I should have clarified. I am not a proponent of the Iraq war or war in general. However, I agree with the GOP in terms of prioritizing funds to strengthen our Dept. of Defense in the event it's truly needed.

As noted, I am liberal on social issues including women's rights, health care issues (though I don't agree with all the provisions of ACA), and gay marriage. I'm definitely NOT a hard-core conservative (extreme views on either side never sit well with me), more of a liberal conservative. I really wish we had a viable 3rd party system here (not to overlook the Green Party, Libertarians, etc).

MacMeal is $5. Salad meal is $13. Broccoli is $4 a pound. You make minimum wage and your kids are hungry.

Archived