IGNORED

Zach Bates for mayor.

sunshine

He has absolutely no sense of self outside of his family. Which is really sad, but that is the result if the lifestyle he was raised in where your only friends are your siblings and you are always paraded around in a large group with matching clothes and individuality isn't encouraged.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think Zach is mature enough to run for mayor. Up until a few weeks ago, he lived with his incredibly overprotective, sheltering parents. He hasn't had any life experience, he needs to learn how to live as an adult before he can be mayor.

In Torrington CT, a young man ran for mayor and won a bunch of years ago. He just left his office this fall and works in the private sector. The difference between he and Zach; Mayor Bingham was college educated and from a political family. However, he was still very young when he became mayor and was re-elcted! I think his community was happy with his work over all! You just never know what a person can bring to the table!

In Torrington CT, a young man ran for mayor and won a bunch of years ago. He just left his office this fall and works in the private sector. The difference between he and Zach; Mayor Bingham was college educated and from a political family. However, he was still very young when he became mayor and was re-elcted! I think his community was happy with his work over all! You just never know what a person can bring to the table!

But what exactly can Zach bring to the table besides his fundie beliefs? His age isn't really the issue for me, it is his total lack of life experience, his inability to see himself as an individual outside of his family(just look at his "about me"), his lack of education, and his Gothard /fundie beliefs. Being young is one thing, being young, extremely sheltered, having so sense of self, being uneducated, and being steeped in cult like beliefs is a total other thing.

I can't wish Zach well because, ultimately, he is not just running for himself. He is fulfilling the ultimate goal of the Quiverful movement, which is to give birth to and raise enough far-right Republicans that they start taking over voting blocks and the government.

Lawson would seem to be a better candidate for mayor, not that I'd want either one of them in office. Running a successful business and being able to shop for 20+ people on a tight budget seem like actual qualifications vs. being the oldest of 19 children on a short-lived TV show. I want Zach to be successful (he seems like a very nice guy)...but not in politics.

But what can Zach bring to the table is the ultimate question here. His age is not even the real concern for me. I have seen and worked with many young people that could handle a mayor position of this size. It is his total lack of understanding of the basic principles of government. His lack of education. It is his sense of entitlement. He believes, based on his Facebook Bio, because he is the oldest of a very sheltered family that had a televsison show that somehow qualifies him to manage a rather large county position. Zach does not have adequate critical thinking skills. How is he going to be objective enough to do what is best for the citizens as a whole and not what is best for his personal religious beliefs when he has always been taught that only his beliefs are the right ones to follow?

Well, for starters, this Mayor Bingham brought an educated worldview and opinion to the table... Something Zach will not if elected.

Getting his ass kicked in this election will actually go further in educating him and getting him life experience than all the years he has spent around the dining room table. He is totally unfit to hold the office of mayor, and with any luck the local voters will cut his ego down to size.

The delusions these Quiverfull parents allow their sons to develop about their fitness to lead are both sad and embarrassing to see acted out in real life.

Well, if any Duggar is campaigning for Zach, chances are Zach will not win. Fingers crossed that happens. I have friends that live in Anderson County. I care about them too much. :lol:

On their blog, the commenters are so happy because "we need more Christians in politics." So Christians already making up about 90% of politicians isn't enough?

Why would you wish him luck? Do you really think his city needs an uneducated Gothard fundie running it? The man has only moved out of his parents house a month or so ago!

I hope he fails massively and realizes that his upbringing and beliefs are to blame and then renounces Gothard and goes all mainstream.

I believe he's already been a county commissioner for a while (or was, not sure he still is)

knoxnews.com/news/2010/aug/12/age-no-obstacle-to-new-official/

On their blog, the commenters are so happy because "we need more Christians in politics." So Christians already making up about 90% of politicians isn't enough?

I'm pretty sure they mean the right kind of Christian.

I'm pretty sure they mean the right kind of Christian.

Logically, I know that, but it still boggles my mind as a member of a minority religion.

Just because someone is known within an area does not mean they are qualified to hold the position of Mayor. What management or financial experience does Zach have? Being a new rep. for a small district is not the same thing. And judging by Zach's stance in regards to Christian signs being placed on government property, he does not have a firm grasp on the Constituation or Separation of Church and State. If you do not understand the basic principles of government, you cannot be qualified to hold office. It is that simple.

And no, I do not wish him luck. I am sick to death of idiots thinking they should hold office and making decisions for the rest of us simply because of who they are. Awesome. He was on a show that highlighted the ignorance of his family. Zach is not qualified to hold the office of Chief Dog Catcher, muchless Mayor.

Where in my statement that I mapraise him in his leadership qualities or even brought it up? He lives in a small town, criterias are different than a big city. If he wants to run, then so be it. I am not going to type endlessly on how he should not run nor should not win. The people in his town will make the ultimate decision; unless you live in his small then you should vote appropriately. Gesh. :popcorn2:

Wish him luck in winning? Why? What about his family and his beliefs makes you think he will be a good leader and be able to make decisions that are not influenced by Gothard and the fundamental Christianity belief system? Or do you not have a problem with him making government decisions based on Gothard's rules and fundie beliefs?

1. Because it is a nice thing to do. I would wish anyone luck, even you if you wanted to run for something. 2. Clearly, he is already performing in a leadership position, so moving up in politics seems to be logically approach and having family support is good. For years, policiticans use their personal beliefs and experiences to influence who they lead in government. People adapt accordingly. So, again. I wish him luck. Now, if you live in his small town...please, vote accordingly. :)

If you are going to start a thread Sunshine where you wish a fundie luck in winning in politics where they will have power to make decisions based on their fundie beliefs you should have the guts to at least own up to why you are wishing them luck. Why do you wish him luck in winning? What about his beliefs make you feel that way?

In her blog comments Kelly says:

I have a 25 year old running for mayor… Would I want most 25 year olds holding that position? Eeek!! But I realize my son is no ordinary 25 year old. His conversations on politics would blow most adults away. At 5, he was studying encyclopedias and writing his own tracts! What’s all that mean? People can’t be compared. One 25 is not equal in maturity to others that age.

I guess people in small municipalities don't have concerns or needs so they can get an uneducated child to "run" things because they don't have anything important that could go wrong.

I wonder how Zachy boy would approach things like public education issues... but I guess small town folks don't need no edumication either so they should get the boy non-wonder and be happy about it.

Where in my statement that I mapraise him in his leadership qualities or even brought it up? He lives in a small town, criterias are different than a big city. If he wants to run, then so be it. I am not going to type endlessly on how he should not run nor should not win. The people in his town will make the ultimate decision; unless you live in his small then you should vote appropriately. Gesh. :popcorn2:

You can put away your popcorn. Do you understand how threads work? You say something and sometimes people respond back to you. I am telling you why I think him being well-known means nothing is the grand scheme of things. Something **you** said. If you have no interest in having a discussion why some people take issue with Zach running, why even start a thread about the subject in the first place? You do realize where you are at, correct? A snark board that has been snarking on Zach and his family for years.

And apparently you have no clue about Anderson County or even what Zach is actually running for. That area is located in the Knoxville Metro area. It has a population of nearly 80,000. He is not running for mayor of Dumbfuck, population 20. He will actually have to do something and lead a decent size population.

I guess people in small municipalities don't have concerns or needs so they can get an uneducated child to "run" things because they don't have anything important that could go wrong.

I wonder how Zachy boy would approach things like public education issues... but I guess small town folks don't need no edumication either so they should get the boy non-wonder and be happy about it.

Small town mayors have little to no impact on education issues in most areas that I know of. That is managed by school board members from a different election. I lived near a town of 500ish, and while there was a mayor, I never knew who it was.... but I did know who the school board was.

In her blog comments Kelly says:

"His conversations on politics would blow most adults away." Does Kelly not understand that a twenty five year old is an adult as well? Also, I get that she is proud of her son and all that jazz, but reading an encyclopedia at five and writing his own propaganda pamphlets based on information Gil and Kelly brainwashed Zach with hardly constitutes maturity. Has she read his blog?

Edited for clarity. I apparently suck at it. :)

All I want to know is if there will be a debate and if it will be streamed on the internet. I would love to see that. I will even make popcorn.

I hope he fails miserably. I do not want anyone in any elected position who fails to understand the distinction between separation of church and state and who has a narrow agenda.

Archived