IGNORED

Jasmine Baucham on the Grammys and the Gays.

NotALoserLikeYou

Sorry it's not too interesting, but I had never been to the "Reformed African American Network" and that itself is quite the interesting site to explore.

www.raanetwork.org/4-things-grammys-taught-marriage/

To summarize, the four things she learned from the Grammys (where marriage ceremonies for both gay and straight couples were performed in case you didn't know):

1. Marriage is not about acceptance

2. Marriage is not about love

3. Marriage is not a spectacle

4. This ceremony was not about marriage

Sorry it's not too interesting, but I had never been to the "Reformed African American Network" and that itself is quite the interesting site to explore.

http://www.raanetwork.org/4-things-gram ... -marriage/

To summarize, the four things she learned from the Grammys (where marriage ceremonies for both gay and straight couples were performed in case you didn't know):

1. Marriage is not about acceptance

2. Marriage is not about love

3. Marriage is not a spectacle

4. This ceremony was not about marriage

The comments section has an interesting side conversation about interracial marriage. What I took away was "Well, inter-racial marriage is OK, but parading it around on commercials is going to lend credence to gay marriage, so it's best not to be too forward about it."

Jasmine may have gotten out of her father's house, but she hasn't gotten to far away from his appalling, repressive ideas.

The comments section has an interesting side conversation about interracial marriage. What I took away was "Well, inter-racial marriage is OK, but parading it around on commercials is going to lend credence to gay marriage, so it's best not to be too forward about it."

Jasmine may have gotten out of her father's house, but she hasn't gotten to far away from his appalling, repressive ideas.

Wait, Jasmine is out of the Bauchman home? Who is raising all those little boys they adopted?

From her bio, she still seems to be living at home, teaching and grad studies notwithstanding.

OT a bit (and I can't believe I came out with such blasphemy): Jasmine, like many devout Christians, puts a huge emphasis on humanity's innate sinfulness and how Christ had to die on the cross to save me. One day out of the blue, totally unprompted, I thought, "I never asked him to."

Many years back, in confession, I was trying to explain to a very well-meaning priest that I didn't think I was good enough for God 's love (translation: I was suffering from chronic depression). He cheerily replied, "But none of us is!"--as if that would somehow help. (It didn't. Therapy and Prozac did.)

Hadn't heard from old Jazzy in quite a while. She's definitely an affront to my single, independent African American woman lifestyle.

She is basically saying that only Christians own marriage, and only they can understand marriage.

And in her understanding, they really do. She has been taught that marriage is a divinely inspired institution, mirroring Christ's love for and bond with his church. Which is all find and dandy, but she doesn't get to decide what marriage means to other people.

From her bio, she still seems to be living at home, teaching and grad studies notwithstanding.

True. She's not a SAHD in the strictest sense of the word any more, though.

She is basically saying that only Christians own marriage, and only they can understand marriage.

I can own and understand marriage then? Awesome. So my same-sex marriage is God-approved?

I admit that I am not very familiar with current music trends but I like Lourde's music.

Lorde’s soulless gaze
What did Jasmine mean by this?

Marriage is not a spectacle unless you have a point to make.

But the Gospel? The gruesome and glorious death of our Savior on the cross? This is a spectacle that we need to make much of, a dramatic display of God’s redemptive plan throughout history. This is central, not just to marriage, but to life itself.

. Even if you add religion into the mix, a wedding is a spectacle. You might not have a large or showy wedding but you still have a spectacle. Why is the point of a Christian marriage more valid than the couples who married at the Grammy's?

#2 Marriage is Not About Love

She makes me very happy that I don't share her faith.

#4 This Ceremony Was Not About Marriage

This ceremony was not about marriage.

Yes, it is a marriage. Legally, these couples were married. She might not believe that the couples' marriages are valid in her god's eyes but her opinion doesn't really matter.

And an attack on marriage is an attack on one of the clearest pictures of the Gospel that we have in this life.

Unless she is being forced to marry a woman, her right to marry hasn't been attacked.

She DIDN'T watch the Grammys, but she followed along on Twitter.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how she introduces her article.

Marriage is not a spectacle unless you have a point to make.

But the Gospel? The gruesome and glorious death of our Savior on the cross? This is a spectacle that we need to make much of, a dramatic display of God’s redemptive plan throughout history. This is central, not just to marriage, but to life itself.

She needs to let the Duggars and Bates know this, then.

She DIDN'T watch the Grammys, but she followed along on Twitter.

At least I'm pretty sure that's how she introduces her article.

I think that you are right but I don't want to read back through the article to make certain.

I still don't understand what she means by Lorde's soulless gaze. Not to sound ignorant but Lorde didn't write any lyrics that include the phrase, soulless gaze, did she?

I can't stand Lourde's music, but out of all the acts there she was probably among the most clean-cut. She doesn't seem to swear in her songs, she doesn't seem to wear skimpy clothing or make any sexual innuendo.

Her first single is about money not being important to her.

Her second single is about teenagers being on each other's team and loving each other.

What the fuck is so bad about that? I imagine Jasmine's problem is more with Lourde wearing all black, and her creepy Gollum-like moves when she dances.

I'm sure this just has to do with fundies and their aversion to anything that doesn't appear to be shitting rainbows or snorting glitter like it's blow.

ALSO, I read somewhere that Natalie Grant walked out of the Grammy's because of the gay marriage thing. Which is fucking hilarious if you think about it. She showed up to accept an award from an institution that practically revels in every form of idolatry, but the gays are where she's gonna draw a line in the sand. :roll: :pray: :dance: What an idiot. A "good" Christian wouldn't have even gone (or WATCHED) in the first fucking place.

I don't get Lorde at all, she seems to dance worse than I do and it looked like she dipped her fingers in black paint, but her songs aren't bad and she hardly looks soulless. Go look at some of the SAHD blogs, there you will find some soulless gazes.

Because I had no idea who Natalie Grant was, I googled her. Apparently, The Christian Post says that Perry's dance performance was satanic.

christianpost.com/news/did-satanic-performance-or-gay-marriage-lead-natalie-grant-to-leave-the-grammys-early-grant-responds-to-speculation-113546/

Why would someone that was that sensitive to occult imagery, half naked people and same sex marriage attend or watch the grammy's. I don't watch because I assume that I will be bored; however, I don't tweet about my desire to not watch either.People like Jasmine and Natalie Grant sound like they want to be bored.

I didn't know who Natalie Grant was either (and wouldn't have as I cannot abide contemporary Xtian music) , but why on earth would you go to an awards ceremony with that much of a stick up your butt?

Archived