IGNORED

Kidist will fight for her perfume and coffee if she has to

super skeptic

Kidist has another paranoid rant in which she continues to fail to realize she is one of those brown foreign people she is so angry about.

reclaimbeauty.blogspot.ca/2014/01/fighting-for-my-perfume-and-coffee-in.html

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hearing the Beastie Boys in my head now

"I'm gonna fight!

For my right!

To Perrrrrr-fyooom!

I'm aghast! Aghast, I tells you, that there are people who don't know the difference between Eau de Toilette and Eau do Parfum! The horror. The horror.

She may have third-world origins but she sure as hell has first-world problems. Good lord, this woman is a piece of work.

Oh, for fuck's sake, if she wants to be around white people, why did she move to a city that's nearly all brown and Chinese? And why go to a mall that's adjacent to an enormous Pakistani enclave?

I can only assume she did it so she can have a reason to bitch about it, because there are all-white towns nearby that are just as cheap to live in.

She is just a wonder, isn’t she. :roll: So basically she went to a perfume store, in a mall, and asked a sales person a question she couldn’t answer. I’m sure the sales person was perfectly nice and offered to what information she could while waiting for the other sales person (who probably couldn’t have answered it either).

Usually, I bypass these multi-culti attendants, or I look for a white attendant. If the white attendant doesn't have all the information, she usually has something useful to say.
Yeah – like “I have no clue. Call the manufacturer?â€

So Kidist, in all her glory, unwraps a gift box to manhandle the merchandise all for information that was listed on the packaging and then doesn’t even bother to replace it before walking out, creating more work for the poor, frazzled salesperson. And given that I got the idea that this was a perfume Kidist already liked and wore, I’m sure such a paragon of all things culture, beauty and propriety, would already know the notes and was just asking to be a bitch.

Maybe it’s my own, inner snobbishness coming out, but to me, “malls†and “high end†are mutually exclusive concepts. If I went to my local mall’s perfume store and asked what the notes were in a perfume, I’d expect a blank stare. Actually, come to think of it, if you asked me what notes were in my favorite perfume I’d look at you with a blank stare. I guess high end and I are also mutually exclusive concepts. :P Who cares! Does it smell good? That’s my concern.

I keep expecting to be reading Not Always Right and come across a story that sounds like it could be Kidist.

Maybe it’s my own, inner snobbishness coming out, but to me, “malls†and “high end†are mutually exclusive concepts.

I know several malls that intended to be "high end." Inevitably, half the store fronts empty out after a year because the rent is too expensive and the place becomes a ghost town.

Kidist is such a mess that I always have mixed feelings snarking on her.

But her lack of a filter, her blatant inability to see anything wrong with what she is saying, throws a light on how bigots think, and how illogical it all is.

The idea that someone can't even imagine a white person who isn't an expert on the intricacies of perfumery (including knowing what notes are in a scent!), or might make an error making coffee, is mind-boggling to me.

The employee could be new in an entry-level job and not fully trained yet, not motivated, absent-minded, lazy or not too bright, or put-off by Kidist and trying to limit contact as politely as possible.

All of which could be just as true of a white local as anyone else.

I can't imagine she has really never encountered a white person who is not up to par in their job -- I guess she just doesn't notice them, due to her delusional state.

Oh, for fuck's sake, if she wants to be around white people, why did she move to a city that's nearly all brown and Chinese? And why go to a mall that's adjacent to an enormous Pakistani enclave?

I can only assume she did it so she can have a reason to bitch about it, because there are all-white towns nearby that are just as cheap to live in.

Yeah, this is pretty much the same mindset that leads some Christian fundies to eagerly watch various TV programs that they know are likely to offend their moral sensibilities so that they can write overly detailed complaints to the FCC about it later. (Or, if I'm being fair, that leads me to hate-read the occasional fundie blog...)

Also, I think it's hilarious that Kidist considers Starbucks the be-all and end-all of high end coffee snobbery.

She has an amazing sense of entitlement.

If Kidist spent any time on perfume blogs (please, no!), she would know that perfume nerds generally assume sales associates are knowledgeable about recently released mass-market fragrances, but not obscure or older scents. This has nothing to do with ethnicity, and everything to do with the fact that most people who sell perfume are doing it as a job, rather than because they want to know everything there is to know about perfume. It's really not worth getting upset.

When perfume nerds do find a sales associate who's as giddy about the minutiae as they are, they try to talk with and buy from that person. It's way more gratifying, and it's how you cultivate relationships with people who will call you when Temporarily Discontinued Wonderjuice is back in stock.

I'm almost certain she's referring to Square One. It is far, far from high end. She's not that stupid - she knows that you don't get high end service at a mall that houses Walmart, A&W and Dollarama.

These non-white immigrants, (first, second and even third, so clearly all generations of these immigrants) have come to an established, cultivated, civilized place, with an enviable culture. A good cup of coffee is easy to find, and beautiful perfumes are being continuously created.

Watch out Canada! The immigrants are going to ruin your world-famous perfume industry!

Is she off her meds again?

There's no government plot to force malls to hire Indian and Chinese clerks. That's who lives in Mississauga! Why doesn't she just move to Halton?

I have no idea what she imagines Canadian culture to be. I'm 4th generation Canadian, and have never discussed the notes in a perfume. If you want to know what it smells like, why not look for a sample?

If you want Canadian coffee, go to Tim's or Second Cup. She doesn't see the irony in complaining about the decline in Canadian culture at an American coffee chain, does she?

Canada isn't known for gourmet coffee or fancy perfume. Sounds like someone misses Paris, and wonders why she can't find Parisian sales help in a suburban mall.

The biggest perfume nerd I've ever met is a second-generation Chinese-American woman married to a white guy. She collects perfumes, knows all about old ones, and I've seen her correctly identify fragrances worn by complete strangers. Before she went to law school, she worked in the fragrance section of a genuinely high-end store in LA, and her employers tried to get her to stay by promoting her to assistant buyer and offering her all kinds of benefits--because even at 23 she knew more about fragrance and had a better nose than just about anybody else.

Kidist would spontaneously combust from rage and resentment, were they ever to meet.

So far, I never really got that Kidist topic here in FJ and I also never checked out her blog before. I only was vaguely aware about her being a black woman from Ethiopia who wants to be a racist-ass white woman (?? or something like that ?? *shrug*).

Now I finally bothered to read one of her blogposts... And, LOL WHAT THE :wtf: DID I JUST READ - That´s just too funny to be true, it´s one of the most entertaining yet creepy things I ´ve read in a long time since the incel blogger or Romeo Rose :lol:

So, I think I have got it right now:

This woman walks into a Zara-esque clothing store to buy a bottle of their own-brand whiffy water (which sells for the hawt sum of 35 Euros, as google told).

She asks the next best bystanding shop clerk about the "notes" of said whiffy water. And the correct answer to this would have then been " Well, creepy costumer... the notes are that ones of whatever artifical fragrances they watered down the waste oil this month with, in that plant in China where this stuff comes from - along with the magic tree air freshener they sell at the gas station down the street..." But as we all know, retrail workers must be polite so the clerk probably just said nothin´ - which then leads Kidist to FUCKING UNWRAP THE UNPAID PRODUCT ON THE SHOP COUNTER! Now this must be a canadian thing with all their politeness and stuff, because if she would try this in an austrian shop, a clerk would come screaming, smack her and make her buy the product and maybe mop the entrance floor too (this actually happened btw) .

Okay after this much hilarity ensued, she goes to a fast food joint (here: Starbucks) NEXT TO A FUCKIN´BUS STOP and then complains about the coffee-flavoured sugar water there tasting like stuff one would get at a fast food joint next to a bus stop... aaand she also managed to piss off the poor shop assistant again, of course :shrug:

No, really - that´s a FJ-run troll blog, isn´t it?

So much weirdness on her blog.

The first thing that came to my mind was: Kidist is blaming the Asians for the dumbing down of Canadian coffee in an Starbucks?! Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't coffee commonly drank by many, many non-Western cultures? And aren't many of them brown looking people (aren't some of them living in Africa?!)?? And then the second thing that came to mind was.....uhm, why are you complaining about Canadian coffee at an American coffee chain? And thirdly....when is Starbucks considered the gourmet of coffee? I love my Starbucks coffee and I'm no coffee snob but I've tasted some pretty fancy coffee and I know Starbucks is not where you get it.

The perfume thing sounds like Kidist is annoyed no one's giving her the queen treatment as befitting someone as sophisticated and refined as her. She then turns it into a racial thing, blaming it the Asians. Based on FJers who are familiar with where she's at, it sounds like Kidist does not live or shop around a wealthy area but likes to pretend an aura of wealthy in her blogs.

I'm not exactly sure how to answer her post about how Asians are hired to make stores look multi-cultural and that most shoppers at such "exclusive" places actually cater to white people (which Kidist considers herself as a member). It's weird where she's pulling these strange ideas from. I can't even begin to imagine what goes on in her mind.

So much weirdness on her blog.

The first thing that came to my mind was: Kidist is blaming the Asians for the dumbing down of Canadian coffee in an Starbucks?! Ok, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't coffee commonly drank by many, many non-Western cultures? And aren't many of them brown looking people (aren't some of them living in Africa?!)??

Indeed, Ethiopia is known for its fine coffee. Oh, Kidist!

Ok, massive coffee snob here. (I'm the girl who picks where it was grown by smell. I can't drink wine so I do coffee instead.) Starbucks produce sex-in-a-canoe coffee. They are famous for it. Even if Kidist can't taste the difference, I am surprised she hasn't heard of the reputation.

Kidist reminds me of a toddler who puts on her mothers heels and makeup and pretends to be a lady. You don't criticise the child for putting makeup on badly - she is cute in her innocence. Kidist preaching about the wonders of Starbucks coffee is like the toddlers makeup. If she wasn't so filled with hate I would just laugh at her ignorance and let her get on with it. As it is, all my love and sympathy goes out to the poor staff member who will get her complaint.

* I might just add a comment to her blog about the lovely Ethiopian coffee I am having while reading this. It's rather nice.

She has never crossed the doorstep of Tim Hortons and had coffee and Timbits I take it? :o

I keep expecting to be reading Not Always Right and come across a story that sounds like it could be Kidist.

I know several malls that intended to be "high end." Inevitably, half the store fronts empty out after a year because the rent is too expensive and the place becomes a ghost town.

I've been to upscale malls before- in Beijing. :lol:

Commented on her site. Suggested she try Ethiopian coffee. Any bets on how long until she deletes my post?

I'm mostly a Nespresso girl, because of the convenience. However I wouldn't go to Starbucks unless is was desperate, if i'm spending more than the cost of a coffee pod at home, I want GOOD coffee.

Why is she being all snobby about a BCBG fragrance? Surely it's just one of those pleasant smelling mid priced EDT things?

Oh dear. Kidist has hit Prime Time in Quiverful of Snark again.

I have to ask politely, why are Kidist threads in QF Snark? She is not a QF Fundie. She has very, very, tenuous connections to a couple of QF fundies, but she herself is not a Fundie in any way, shape or form. She is a repulsive racist, almost certainly profoundly mentally ill or, if you prefer a non-clinical term, she is just fucking NUTS!

In my opinion she belongs in Wide World of Snark. It is just a personal opinion, followed by a very polite and personal request to stick Kidist threads over there in the future.

If you disagree and don't want to do that, fine. I just need to discipline myself not to read Kidist threads. I can try to do that - and promise to never mention this again. :)

But, if Kidist threads were in Wide World of Snark I could more easily ignore them. Here is why I make that request:

1. Kidist threads run the gamut of opinion, but in the past some posts on Kidist have verged on racism as they criticize Kidist's very racist views. I dislike reading them, but am drawn to reading Kidist threads like a moth to the flame. My problem, but . . .

2. Her mental health issues are obvious - to me - but I usually dislike myself when I indulge in armchair psychobabble. I also hate to snark on mental health. Assholes yes. Mental illness, not so much.

3. I'm always tempted to try, but I really can't give any insight into Kidist at all. I've run into problems and misunderstandings trying to "explain" some of her cultural background before in several threads. I'm not Ethiopian, for one, although I once lived there!

4. That said, this is one of my better attempts at explaining my unease and perhaps a little of Kidist's context from a few months ago. It could definitely be improved and expanded upon. I do encourage you to read the link at the bottom of the quote here.

Palimpsest wrote:

KidIST AzRAT. Kid as in child. I think she is around 48. Perhaps a little older but not much. She is certainly not representative of all Ethiopians or all Amharas, even those who were in a very privileged and wealthy class in the days of Haile Selassie's Empire.

I just can't snark on Kidist for several reasons. First, I think she is genuinely mentally ill with one of the symptoms being the complete denial of her own ethnicity and all this hateful racist ranting. I would not want to meet her in real life. I hope that she just wanders around Toronto muttering to herself and that 90% of the conversations and confrontations she reports are not fact. Just thoughts she has had or things that she thinks she has said or perhaps wishes she had said. If the confrontations are real and she approaches the wrong person with a racist comment, she could get herself badly hurt one of these days.

Second, I also wonder whether her illness wasn't exacerbated, if not created, by some of her experiences as a child. Her family left Ethiopia for Paris in 1973 or 1974. I think she was still under 10 then. She apparently fell in love with Paris and all things European and completely rejected her Ethiopian heritage at some point. Except for her story of giving flowers to the Emperor! She was then bounced from country to country. Some school in Paris, then an English boarding school (they aren't for sissies!), then to the States and finally to Canada.

It may have been easier for her to pretend to be "European" because everything she knew and remembered was destroyed by the Derg under Megistu. She is not exaggerating when she says that her father would probably have been executed if they had stayed in Ethiopia. The revolution turned into a bloodbath after "Bloody Saturday."

Third, I saw recently on her blog that she is the oldest child in her family. I heaved a sigh of relief because I was afraid that I knew her family. I now know that she is not the younger sister of a close school friend of mine, nor the daughter of a professional colleague of my father. She may be a cousin, but I'm certainly not going to email her and ask!

The last time I was in Ethiopia was Christmas, 1973. My parents did not leave until 1976, but they decided it was not safe for us to visit after that. It was a very tough time for them then, and the situation only got worse with the civil war. Very few of the Ethiopians, wealthy or not, we knew back then survived. A few, like Kidist's family, managed to escape. Too few.

Many of us who grew up in Ethiopia, or even lived there for a year or two, have very fond memories of the country, even as we acknowledge that there were many things wrong at the end of the Emperor's reign. This article was written by another person I went to school with in Ethiopia and gives a good picture of what it was like. I'm not exactly name dropping because I'm sure he wouldn't remember me at all! I barely remember him. We were in a different class in school, but my brother and one of his brothers were great friends! http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... -coup-1973 (news source so link not broken).

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18673&start=60

Archived