IGNORED

Who make up the ATI Royalty?

Peas n carrots

He left Nabisco a substantial amount of time before he was appointed to the Board of Directors. My (totally uninformed) guess would be that the Directors are paid. ATI is raking in the cash, and it can't all go directly to Gothard who, despite his many weirdnesses, doesn't seem to have a taste for particularly luxurious living.

I've been wondering for years how David and Pris can afford to travel so much. The Bates girls have even been to Romania. Do you think Gil still has a little money left from their show or something? Is wasn't on TV long enough to generate much money.

I've been wondering for years how David and Pris can afford to travel so much. The Bates girls have even been to Romania. Do you think Gil still has a little money left from their show or something? Is wasn't on TV long enough to generate much money.

I don't know if ATI subsidises "mission trips" for the poster families, but it wouldn't surprise me. The Bates and Duggar girls seem to go on one or two a year, and Lawson and Nathan Bates and JohnDavid Duggar are about to go on one.

Since fundie kids aren't allowed the usual celebrity obsessions, maybe going on Journeys to the Heart or missions with fundie "celebrities" is enough of a selling point for Gothard to offer subsidies to the famous families.

That said, they stay with ATI families and participate in ATI missions, so the only major cost would be air fares.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if ATI subsidises "mission trips" for the poster families, but it wouldn't surprise me. The Bates and Duggar girls seem to go on one or two a year, and Lawson and Nathan Bates and JohnDavid Duggar are about to go on one.

Since fundie kids aren't allowed the usual celebrity obsessions, maybe going on Journeys to the Heart or missions with fundie "celebrities" is enough of a selling point for Gothard to offer subsidies to the famous families.

That said, they stay with ATI families and participate in ATI missions, so the only major cost would be air fares.

Oh, I had no idea they stayed with other ATI families. That would cut costs for food and boarding. Forgot that ATI is worldwide.

Airfares add up pretty fast when your forking out for several kids at a time. These are ppl who have to borrow to keep food on the table and the utilities connected.

I'm quite sure they get 'help' from ATI/IBLP and I'm next to certain the Pecan Thief's 'mission trips' are paid for. He's an employee.

• Upvote 1

For Pecan Boy this is extra special a trip to the MEN'S prison. Around all of those hardened criminals.

The sight of all those women with the exact same hairdo is :pink-shock: Is there any theological reason given for this other than Gothard/daddy/god likes it?

The sight of all those women with the exact same hairdo is :pink-shock: Is there any theological reason given for this other than Gothard/daddy/god likes it?

Don't they spout the "hair is the modest covering from God" line as their reason to keep their hair long and not wear head coverings?

• 1 year later...

Others I consider ATI "royalty" are the Hogan, Pierpont, and Speed families.

Back in the day, the Voeller family was ATI mega-royalty. There's also the Bell (EXCEL) and Reed (COMMIT) families.

Hey Elinor, I know this is an old post, but I'm curious whether you've got more information on the Pierponts. They fascinate me for some reason...probably because the girls seem pretty worldly/trendy these days (at least in appearance--makeup, clothes, and such) and Chuk seems downright hipster. (Also, how on EARTH do those girls stay so thin with all the Starbucks they drink?!) A friend of mine knows (used to know) Lois IRL--that's how I discovered them--through her photography page. I used to follow Holly's blog back in my Fundy-Lite days.

• 3 years later...

Sadly, Jenny Speed passed away from breast cancer last month... Her funeral is this Saturday.

Paul and Jenny Speed spoke at most of the  IBLP and ATI conferences. They led Whatever It Takes WIT Ministries about marriage. 

I remember Jenny Speed tried to treat cancer naturally after watching The Truth About Cancer movie and went to Mexico twice. I think it was woo woo treatments. I believe she started chemotherapy two months ago and tragically passed at the end of May.

• Sad 1