IGNORED

Jesse Maxwell is gonna homeschool

WonderingInWA

It isn't showing up for me, it just goes straight to the homepage, but if its anything like Erika Shupe's school schedule (she is a follower of theirs), its very small-her kids get less than three hours a day doing school work, and the oldest ones do an hour and a half at most.

Steve should be ashamed of himself and his kids poor excuse for an education and how little he has spent on investing in their education. As a homeschooling parent, you are supposed to be passionate about your children's education and chose to homeschool because you want the best for your kids and feel you can give them a better, more personal education than they would get in school. You aren't though Steve, you have failed them. It is not being a good teacher to choose the curriculum that minimises the actual time you have to spend teaching them. Homeschooling requires a lot of commitment, but you don't have any, and I can see that from the poor writing styles of your kids.

Steve, please let them take classes to catch up what they missed, your children are very undereducated and are far below average in writing. You tell Jesse that most public schooled kids graduate being barely literate, but that's still a smaller percentage than how many of your kids are barely literate. You were responsible for teaching eight children to read and write, compared to the 20-30 kids that are in the average class at school, and that wasn't even at the same time, by the time the youngest was learning, the older ones were able to work independently. You failed at that.

If you asked Steve's kids to complete a test in reading and writing (and probably math too, knowing Steve's homeschooling) that would be aimed at high school students, they would fail. Even the ones who have graduated years ago.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, by Communications Concepts, Inc. which is the umbrella company for almost all Maxwell venture.

Any yahoo can self-publish. Quality doesn't even enter into the equation.

ETA: Steve likes to make up high-falutin' names for everything, probably because he thinks it lends legitimacy to their "ministry." So the kids aren't just homeschooled, they're all graduates of Flowing Streams Christian Academy, complete with homemade diplomas. :roll:

No, seriously? Flowing Streams of Bull Shit Academy more likely! :lol:

Yes, as Treemom says all the books are self published but Steve makes it "look" as though they have a real publisher. Self publishing is not rocket science.

On the homeschooling -- Teri also makes a really big deal about how the kids taught each other too, so Mama was barely needed after teaching the first 3. She is sad that Mary, as the youngest, never got to teach anyone.

Although teaching someone something that you have just learned is a good way of fixing it in your head, I think the Maxwells take it to the usual extremes. No wonder Jesse can't write well if he was taught by Sarah.

As with almost everything else in the Maxwell Collective, they're being educated in a vacuum, without any kind of support system to help them survive and thrive. All they're doing is memorizing and parroting. There's nothing that challenges them, no intellectual stimulation and it's surely by design.

How do you write, I wonder, without EVER reading anything but the Bible? What informs you, what stirs your creativity? How do you study art without learning its history? Without studying the masters, without learning technique? People take life drawing and figure study, Steve, not because they're turned on by the nude models, but because it's essential to learn how the human body is put together, how it functions, how it moves. While they MAY have talent, neither Mary nor Sarah will ever reach her full potential without the opportunity to expand their limited horizons.

I'm not sure why the link isn't bringing you to their schedule.

But, you can go to their home page, click on "Resources" at the top of the page. On the resource page scroll down to the Master Lists link and that will take you to the schedule page.

Marge says:

January 23, 2014 at 11:21 am

What wise words Jesse.

My wonderful husband and I felt it put on our hearts to homeschool. We have been doing it for 3 years for many if the reasons you list. We named our school Springfield Elementary School after a local state park.

:wink-penguin:

What kind of superior education can it be if they were never allowed to read books? That's so depressing.

It somewhat explains their lack of evolution (oh, gasp, the E word!) with the written language, although if they've only ever been able to read the Bible, they don't write in that prose style, either. Truly they write like junior high students (I have one, I know), and that's being generous. Even my 6th grader can write at least as well as Jesse, Anna, and Sarah.

I would have no concerns about my children being bullied as is prevalent on school campuses.

There is no denying that bullying doesn't happen in society. The subject of bullying varies from school to school and community to community. Bullying can be very common in some schools and not so common in other schools. If Jesse would do some research, he would find tons of articles about programs being introduced to schools to combat the issues of bullying and he would also find that some school administrators and school boards don't tolerate bullying at all.

That link doesn't work for me -- keeps reverting back just to their product page, no /dowloads/maxwell-schedules.html

What am I doing wrong?

I had to cut and paste the final bit of the url behind the .com bit and then it worked (took a while)

I like shedules and lists, but mine have to be less structured. For example, my work is such that I may schedule from 1-4 to do web page updates and end up at the last minute having to spend an hour of that with a client on an "on the fly" training webinar to get them back on track. Or I have planned to work out at 6 in the evening, and end up not leaving the office until 8.

And yet-- I meet my deadlines and my house is presentable. (I will acknowledge--my workout schedule is not up to snuff)

My lists are more like these are the things I need/want to do this week (month, year) and then I fill in. And I change things around.

Oh.. and I can't imagine any time in my lifetime going to bed at 9. No wonder he has them workout so much-- to make them tired. I am not a good sleeper, so most nights if I went to bed by 9, I'd be unable to sleep past about 2.

Dear Steve,

What was the purpose of that post? Did you think anyone thought Jesse or any of the other kids would write anything other than this. Your children are parrots. You cannot convince me that out of 8 children, none of them disagree with the way you do, at least some, things but they are too scared to confront and argue with you. You are not a good parent Steve, you are a dog trainer.

Poor Sarah or Stevehovah - whichever Great Conversationalist is answering blog mail this week - really scored one for polite, gawdly Stevely conversation, eh?

The fan writes how much she admires Jesse's presence of mind to be thinking about good reasons to homeschool his future children should the Lord so bless him with children. The fan mentions that her husband has passed on but that she's been able to continue to homeschool their child, who also - should she be blessed with a husband and children - will homeschool. The fan concludes with a blessing on the Maxwell family. Great Conversationalist Maxwell replies:

Not,

Not,

But at least it's also not,

It's late and I'm feeling mean. :naughty:

MJ, think of it this way -- she is lucky he didn't write:

>>>>>>>>>

We may or may not be sorry about your husband. First, we need to know if he was fully saved, by our standards. Otherwise, you need to know that he is burning eternally in Hell.

Something to think about.

It is interesting seeing the amount of academics drop between 2008 and 2012/13. I know there is only one child left in the most recent one, but Mary literally only seems to study English and History.

The other thing that struck me was that there was no free time whatsoever. Even Erika Schupe has some free time, even if it is a very small amount (30 minutes a day for older ones, IIRC).

Did I imagine it, or are the Maxwells oficially registered as a private school?

It is interesting seeing the amount of academics drop between 2008 and 2012/13. I know there is only one child left in the most recent one, but Mary literally only seems to study English and History.

The other thing that struck me was that there was no free time whatsoever. Even Erika Schupe has some free time, even if it is a very small amount (30 minutes a day for older ones, IIRC).

I don't think they're officially registered. They seem to avoid anything that would require some kind of oversight, which is why they're not an official non-profit and any "love offerings" are not tax deductible. They just decided to name their homeschool for hell of it, it would seem. If you check the various graduation posts, each graduate is usually holding one of their homemade diplomas (with hand calligraphy by Nathan! SPECIAL!) with the name Flowing Streams Christian Academy on it. I think that name is also mentioned in some older blog posts and corners. Much ado about nothing. They could call it Harvard or Oxford, but it still wouldn't mean their kids are getting a well-rounded education.

ETA: My bad. Actually they DO have to register as a private school. Here's an answer to a blog post (which, of course, gets in a plug for MOTH).

In Kansas homeschools register with the state as non-accredited private schools. We set the graduation requirements and don’t take a GED. More about that is in the book Managers of Their Schools.

ETA 2: Here's a link to Anna's graduation photo that shows her diploma.

blog.titus2.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/DSC_52781.jpg

MJ, think of it this way -- she is lucky he didn't write:

Or "sorrow is being felt for the death of your headship. I hope he knew where he would go when he died. Do you? Come to one of our conferences where hearts are being opened, fathers are being brought home by The Lord and much product is being sold

Something to think about.

Living only for the LORD and smugly contemplating eternity,

Steve

And he went up from thence unto Beth-el: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

10. 2 Kings 2:23-24

I haven't seen the schedules before and I have to say I'm shocked! What an awful life for a teenager, no free time and going to bed every day at 9 pm? Really? :shock:

In contrast I am sitting in a room of bunched of other parents trying to get out kids into choice transfer and optional schools. I am glad my child will get a quality public education. He can function better in the world than the stunted bonsai tree like maxwell kids, especially the reversals.

I also feel bad for Teri. I looked at one of the older schedules and in the entire week, it seemed like she had one hour per week to pursue her own interests (scrapbooking). I mean, there are weeks where I'm so busy I don't have time to participate in my hobbies, but I also have weeks where I can do nothing but veg in front of the tv every evening, if I wanted to. Where's the spontaneity? The ability to say, you know what? I've had a long week and I don't feel like cleaning the toilets. I'm gonna read a book all afternoon (or go for a walk or knit some slippers or whatever it is she likes to do). Or, even so much as I don't feel like cooking tonight. Let's order in.

My life is pretty dull and routine, but I get claustrophobic just thinking about theirs.

I also feel bad for Teri. I looked at one of the older schedules and in the entire week, it seemed like she had one hour per week to pursue her own interests (scrapbooking). I mean, there are weeks where I'm so busy I don't have time to participate in my hobbies, but I also have weeks where I can do nothing but veg in front of the tv every evening, if I wanted to. Where's the spontaneity? The ability to say, you know what? I've had a long week and I don't feel like cleaning the toilets. I'm gonna read a book all afternoon (or go for a walk or knit some slippers or whatever it is she likes to do). Or, even so much as I don't feel like cooking tonight. Let's order in.

My life is pretty dull and routine, but I get claustrophobic just thinking about theirs.

And to think she used to be able to tack a Pepsi onto one of her already-scheduled tasks, but that became an idol, so that was removed. The hour of scrapbooking per week? She would have barely made a dent in that meager hour, I should think. That's why there are scrapbooking weekends for scrapbookers -- so they can relax and enjoy 3 days of their hobby!

I also feel bad for Teri. I looked at one of the older schedules and in the entire week, it seemed like she had one hour per week to pursue her own interests (scrapbooking).

Which one was you looking at? I ask because on the 2008-2009 schedule it seems to me she only has 30 minutes a week to scrapbook and in the 2012-2013 schedule scrapbooking isn't even there. I don't know about anybody else but I would be interested in seeing an example of Steve's schedule. I doubt it would be very exciting but an example of everyone else in the family is there so why not him?

Which one was you looking at? I ask because on the 2008-2009 schedule it seems to me she only has 30 minutes a week to scrapbook and in the 2012-2013 schedule scrapbooking isn't even there. I don't know about anybody else but I would be interested in seeing an example of Steve's schedule. I doubt it would be very exciting but an example of everyone else in the family is there so why not him?

(a) Because he's the patriarch!, and (b) because he's just way too busy making the schedules for everyone else. And don't forget, he's got all those conferences to book!

ETA 2: Here's a link to Anna's graduation photo that shows her diploma.

blog.titus2.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/DSC_52781.jpg

In that picture Anna doesn't even get to hold her own diploma; Steve is holding it. It probably does feel like an accomplishment for him.... another child successfully kept from public school!! And all for the minimum time investment possible on his and Terri's part.

Archived