IGNORED

Jesse Maxwell is gonna homeschool

WonderingInWA

Jesse's post about homeschooling is about I'd expect from a Maxwell child. Not only does Jesse write like a middle schooler, but his reasons are about at the same level. Plus, the entire post is made ronic given Jesse's own upbringing. School bullying has nothing on the number Steve Maxwell has done on his own children. Predators preying on young children is exactly how I'd describe the Maxwell household. And all this talk about academics is pretty laughable as most of the Maxwell children have the educational level of 12 year olds. We've seen these kids' academic schedules and it's pretty skimpy. They do the minimal require by law and then spent the rest of the time contemplating the Bible. Academics? In the Maxwell household, that's only an inconvenience for the real reason for school: reading the Bible.

Does anyone else feel the Maxwell kids are just parroting their parents and each other with each posting? It's like they can't even come up with an original thought! They have to copy and paste their parents' explanations. How sad. The Maxwells may think they are refuting "naysayers", but they are really just reaffirming our believe that the Maxwell children are emotional stunted, undereducated adult children. I think even other fundies shy away from them because they are so damn weird.

I, for one, am glad Steve's isolationist stance is coming to bite him in the ass. His dream of touring with his family came crashing down as a victim of his own cultist behavior. No one wants to buy stuff from the guy who is unapproachable and refuses to let his family integrate with the human race. Sorry, Steve. You can't have it both ways; to be some grand leader of a movement while living in isolated splendor. It doesn't work that way in this country.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got 4 emails from him, I feel blessed.

I have been blessed too. We corresponded about 2 years ago. He included that tombstone saying too, which I've seen before.

I told him Jesse should be having a beer with his college friends, chasing girls and exploring the world away from his parents. I told him it is quite an usual ambition for a young man his age to think about his future children's education and even when he wrote this on his own initiative, the indoctrination and conditioning are obvious. I told him to grant his children freedom because what I see in their family pictures is empty eyes and a docile demeanor. Well, He doesn't understand why I am so hateful, I told him I am not, but as a child psychologist I have been treating children from extreme religious parents and the effects are devastating. According to Steve, his children are completely free to live their lives as they choose. My famous last words were, no they are not and you know it.

When he and I were emailing it was about Sarah but along the same lines.. And of course he insisted she was free to do whatever she chose to. We all know that isn't true.

Here's one of a bzillion sites about that epitaph: http://www.vastpublicindifference.com/2 ... ss-by.html

How could their homeschooling go past an elementary level, in anything other than math, computers and shop (boys only!), and home ec (girls only!)?

History -- can't be accurate there -- it might upset the Stevian Worldview.

Science -- obvious limitations there.

Literature -- they are not permitted to read any!

Foreign languages -- what for?

Art and music -- only as they serve Steve.

Physical education -- exercise, yes, but never sports.

Logic, debate, critical thinking, current events, analysis, etc. -- forget it!

Not to mention, like any family who does the reclusive, paranoid, fundie version of "homeschooling," they are limited by their parents' knowledge and skills. Normal homeschooling parents get the help of outsiders when needed. Other than a few art lessons for one child, the Maxwells have only learned what Steve and Teri can teach.

Poor Sarah or Stevehovah - whichever Great Conversationalist is answering blog mail this week - really scored one for polite, gawdly Stevely conversation, eh?

The fan writes how much she admires Jesse's presence of mind to be thinking about good reasons to homeschool his future children should the Lord so bless him with children. The fan mentions that her husband has passed on but that she's been able to continue to homeschool their child, who also - should she be blessed with a husband and children - will homeschool. The fan concludes with a blessing on the Maxwell family. Great Conversationalist Maxwell replies:

>>>>>>>>>

We are very sorry about your husband.

Not,

>>>>>>>>>

We are very sorry about your husband. May God continue to bless you and your daughter!

Not,

>>>>>>>>>

We are very sorry about your husband. You and your daughter are witnesses to God's goodness.

But at least it's also not,

>>>>>>>>>

We are very sorry about your husband. But don't for a minute think that God might be sending one of OUR boys to be a husband to your girl!!!! Ain't gonna happen. (Do buy some more our books, though! xoxoxo)

It's late and I'm feeling mean. :naughty:

How could their homeschooling go past an elementary level, in anything other than math, computers and shop (boys only!), and home ec (girls only!)?

History -- can't be accurate there -- it might upset the Stevian Worldview.

Science -- obvious limitations there.

Literature -- they are not permitted to read any!

Foreign languages -- what for?

Art and music -- only as they serve Steve.

Physical education -- exercise, yes, but never sports.

Logic, debate, critical thinking, current events, analysis, etc. -- forget it!

Not to mention, like any family who does the reclusive, paranoid, fundie version of "homeschooling," they are limited by their parents' knowledge and skills. Normal homeschooling parents get the help of outsiders when needed. Other than a few art lessons for one child, the Maxwells have only learned what Steve and Teri can teach.

Teri and Steve don't "teach". The kids self teach via workbooks. (I'm pretty sure they wrote about this.)

Poor Sarah or Stevehovah - whichever Great Conversationalist is answering blog mail this week - really scored one for polite, gawdly Stevely conversation, eh?

The fan writes how much she admires Jesse's presence of mind to be thinking about good reasons to homeschool his future children should the Lord so bless him with children. The fan mentions that her husband has passed on but that she's been able to continue to homeschool their child, who also - should she be blessed with a husband and children - will homeschool. The fan concludes with a blessing on the Maxwell family. Great Conversationalist Maxwell replies:

Not,

Not,

But at least it's also not,

It's late and I'm feeling mean. :naughty:

Yes, what an endearing man he is, our Steve.

Jesse's post about homeschooling is about I'd expect from a Maxwell child. Not only does Jesse write like a middle schooler, but his reasons are about at the same level. Plus, the entire post is made ronic given Jesse's own upbringing. School bullying has nothing on the number Steve Maxwell has done on his own children. Predators preying on young children is exactly how I'd describe the Maxwell household. And all this talk about academics is pretty laughable as most of the Maxwell children have the educational level of 12 year olds. We've seen these kids' academic schedules and it's pretty skimpy. They do the minimal require by law and then spent the rest of the time contemplating the Bible. Academics? In the Maxwell household, that's only an inconvenience for the real reason for school: reading the Bible.

Does anyone else feel the Maxwell kids are just parroting their parents and each other with each posting? It's like they can't even come up with an original thought! They have to copy and paste their parents' explanations. How sad. The Maxwells may think they are refuting "naysayers", but they are really just reaffirming our believe that the Maxwell children are emotional stunted, undereducated adult children. I think even other fundies shy away from them because they are so damn weird.

I, for one, am glad Steve's isolationist stance is coming to bite him in the ass. His dream of touring with his family came crashing down as a victim of his own cultist behavior. No one wants to buy stuff from the guy who is unapproachable and refuses to let his family integrate with the human race. Sorry, Steve. You can't have it both ways; to be some grand leader of a movement while living in isolated splendor. It doesn't work that way in this country.

That is exactly what they do. There is no authenticity whatsoever, not an original thought. Their children (and his wife) are infantilised by their father and he claims they are completely free.

Ho old is Jesse? 18 or 19??

Was Jesse homeschooled? I don't keep up, so I wonder. And I also wonder what sort of education a second-generation homeschooler will pass on. Homeschooling may be a good thing for some people, but I think it's important for the educators to continuously learn as well. And I don't see that in the first Maxwell generation. Instead, I see subjects like science and history boiled down to one singular view that subsequent generations just get to parrot. That's not learning, it's stalling. But then, Stevie isn't about learning, and all about stalling. :angry-banghead:

ETA: I do not see homeschooling as a bad thing per se. But I do have my doubts about the way fundies do it.

Teri and Steve don't "teach". The kids self teach via workbooks. (I'm pretty sure they wrote about this.)

And here you go:

titus2.com/corners/moms-corner/traditional-christian-textbook-curricula.html

This passage is especially telling, isn't it? If it doesn't fit into the Almighty Schedule, TOO BAD!

I am able to homeschool my large family to achieve a maximum of learning for a minimum investment of my time. Traditional, Christian curriculum helps me budget my school time plus my children's time. I can work with an individual child for a scheduled amount of time. What doesn't fit into that time frame, he can accomplish on his own without direction from me. I can schedule each child the amount of time he needs for each of his subjects, knowing approximately how long that subject will take him each day.

While I do think it's important for children to learn to work things out on their own, the idea that a parent would want to invest a minimum amount of time in their child's education or wouldn't want to provide help if the time needed exceeded the fucking schedule is just astonishing.

I have been blessed too. We corresponded about 2 years ago. He included that tombstone saying too, which I've seen before.

I'm hurt. :cry: He never would respond to me. It was about a post where he claimed that his children could totally join the military if they wanted to God just hasn't called them to do so and I asked how this how this worked with his teachings that adult children should stay sheltered at home avoiding living in the world. I asked if he has told his children that they are free to join the military if they felt the calling.

I never even got a tombstone saying reply.

I'm hurt. :cry: He never would respond to me. It was about a post where he claimed that his children could totally join the military if they wanted to God just hasn't called them to do so and I asked how this how this worked with his teachings that adult children should stay sheltered at home avoiding living in the world. I asked if he has told his children that they are free to join the military if they felt the calling.

I never even got a tombstone saying reply.

Oh dear... I am willing to PM you the entire correspondence if that is of any consolation.

Jesse's post would have been more newsworthy if he had said he was planning NOT to homeschool his children. This is just more of the same from their dose of daily sameness.

Wow, he uses the workbooks because its the most learning they can get with the least effort he has to spend his time teaching them??

If you are too lazy to invest as much as your time as possible in homeschooling your kid, put them in a proper school. They deserve an education. Steve's lazy lack of homeschooling really shows him up, his adult children's writing is terrible and is as good as the average public schooled or decently homeschooled 11 year old. Sarah's books only got published because they chose someone to publish it that has very low standards. Any ordinary publisher would reject it because it is badly written and stilted, and sounds like it was written by a young child. She is 32 and should be a way better writer than that. Jesse's post is terribly written and shows no logical thinking or proof to back it up, most people his age are in college, and if he handed that in as a college paper, he would fail. If he handed that in as a high school paper he would fail too. I would guess at maybe 10-12 years old. If that is what you get when you have finished homeschooling, I bet by now Mary writes like a 5 year old.

These kids are a terrible example of homeschooling and wont make anyone think it is a good idea.

You fail Steve. Go buy a proper homeschooling curriculum and try again. Its not like your poor kids have any adult things to do all day.

Lol, Im not surprised. I think even a really crappy fundie one who doesn't care what is written as long as the word God is in every page, would still reject Sarah's books for being written like a small child.

Jesse's post would have been more newsworthy if he had said he was planning NOT to homeschool his children. This is just more of the same from their dose of daily sameness.

Agree! I'm sure if he said he wasn't going to homeschool Steve would give him a good talking too.

I told him Jesse should be having a beer with his college friends, chasing girls and exploring the world away from his parents. I told him it is quite an usual ambition for a young man his age to think about his future children's education and even when he wrote this on his own initiative, the indoctrination and conditioning are obvious. I told him to grant his children freedom because what I see in their family pictures is empty eyes and a docile demeanor. Well, He doesn't understand why I am so hateful, I told him I am not, but as a child psychologist I have been treating children from extreme religious parents and the effects are devastating. According to Steve, his children are completely free to live their lives as they choose. My famous last words were, no they are not and you know it.

Isn't this is what Stevehovah was going for the with the whole "keeping his children's hearts" thing? He probably read your email and thought

gollum_zps1fcbdd5a.jpg

Yesssssssss! Successsssss!

Do u know if all of their books r self-published?

Yes, by Communications Concepts, Inc. which is the umbrella company for almost all Maxwell venture.

Any yahoo can self-publish. Quality doesn't even enter into the equation.

ETA: Steve likes to make up high-falutin' names for everything, probably because he thinks it lends legitimacy to their "ministry." So the kids aren't just homeschooled, they're all graduates of Flowing Streams Christian Academy, complete with homemade diplomas. :roll:

Was Jesse homeschooled? I don't keep up, so I wonder. And I also wonder what sort of education a second-generation homeschooler will pass on. Homeschooling may be a good thing for some people, but I think it's important for the educators to continuously learn as well. And I don't see that in the first Maxwell generation. Instead, I see subjects like science and history boiled down to one singular view that subsequent generations just get to parrot. That's not learning, it's stalling. But then, Stevie isn't about learning, and all about stalling. :angry-banghead:

ETA: I do not see homeschooling as a bad thing per se. But I do have my doubts about the way fundies do it.

Yes, all of the children from Sarah on down were homeschooled from the start. The two oldest, Nathan and Christopher went to a private Christian school for a couple of years, and then were brought home by the Lord (as they like to say).

Wow, he uses the workbooks because its the most learning they can get with the least effort he has to spend his time teaching them??

If you are too lazy to invest as much as your time as possible in homeschooling your kid, put them in a proper school. They deserve an education. Steve's lazy lack of homeschooling really shows him up, his adult children's writing is terrible and is as good as the average public schooled or decently homeschooled 11 year old. Sarah's books only got published because they chose someone to publish it that has very low standards. Any ordinary publisher would reject it because it is badly written and stilted, and sounds like it was written by a young child. She is 32 and should be a way better writer than that. Jesse's post is terribly written and shows no logical thinking or proof to back it up, most people his age are in college, and if he handed that in as a college paper, he would fail. If he handed that in as a high school paper he would fail too. I would guess at maybe 10-12 years old. If that is what you get when you have finished homeschooling, I bet by now Mary writes like a 5 year old.

These kids are a terrible example of homeschooling and wont make anyone think it is a good idea.

You fail Steve. Go buy a proper homeschooling curriculum and try again. Its not like your poor kids have any adult things to do all day.

Here are their school schedules going back to 2008. Very, very skimpy on academics.

titus2.com/downloads/maxwell-schedules.html

Those schedules are horrifying. What would happen if one of the said that they needed more flexibility. Can you imagine being 17 years old and having to brush your teeth and go to bed at the same time as the 12 year old?.

Here are their school schedules going back to 2008. Very, very skimpy on academics.

titus2.com/downloads/maxwell-schedules.html

That link doesn't work for me -- keeps reverting back just to their product page, no /dowloads/maxwell-schedules.html

What am I doing wrong?

Archived