IGNORED

Jesse Maxwell is gonna homeschool

WonderingInWA

Overweight people are, themselves, often just as guilty of this thinking. I'm a lifetime member of WW and I hear it all the time in meetings (blech). Occasionally, a leader will pose the question "What's going to change for you when you lose the weight?" And the answers invariably are "I'll like myself better," "I'll be able to do (fill in the blank--and it's generally NOT something that you wouldn't be able to do because of weight)," "I'll be happy," "I'll meet Mr./Ms. Right," "People will like me" and so on as if weight loss alone is a magic pill. (FTR, MY answer is "I'll weigh less" and it's generally not an answer that's well received.) And I've often heard overweight people--who complain bitterly that they can't find a romantic partner because of their weight--say that THEY would never consider dating someone who had weight issues. While it's definitely a reflection of general perceptions of overweight people, as with most things, change has to start from from within.

It's like women who say "I'm not feminist, women are very different from men," homosexuals who say "I'm against gay marriage, we should not be as straight !"

My girlfriend was in WW, and she loose a lot of weight, and it was better for her health. One day, a leader tell her "What's going to change for you when you lose the weight ?" she say "Well, my girlfriend will be sad, she's very thin, and she loved my body", and everyone was "yay, you're lucky to have a gf like this", but one of them said "For me, people who love a overweight person are like people who love a disable or a amputated person. It's a deviance. Loving the body of a unealthy people is being a perv." My gf was "..." (and I'm disable, so we both are perv ?)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overweight people are, themselves, often just as guilty of this thinking. I'm a lifetime member of WW and I hear it all the time in meetings (blech). Occasionally, a leader will pose the question "What's going to change for you when you lose the weight?" And the answers invariably are "I'll like myself better," "I'll be able to do (fill in the blank--and it's generally NOT something that you wouldn't be able to do because of weight)," "I'll be happy," "I'll meet Mr./Ms. Right," "People will like me" and so on as if weight loss alone is a magic pill. (FTR, MY answer is "I'll weigh less" and it's generally not an answer that's well received.) And I've often heard overweight people--who complain bitterly that they can't find a romantic partner because of their weight--say that THEY would never consider dating someone who had weight issues. While it's definitely a reflection of general perceptions of overweight people, as with most things, change has to start from from within.

I agree. But I am often surprised at the scorn I see directed about people being overweight. Even on the snarking on the snarker sites that was one of the things they liked to rail on, which is everyone at FJ is fat. Because of course I was unaware of the fact that I am overweight. SHOCKING JUST SHOCKING.

I agree. But I am often surprised at the scorn I see directed about people being overweight. Even on the snarking on the snarker sites that was one of the things they liked to rail on, which is everyone at FJ is fat. Because of course I was unaware of the fact that I am overweight. SHOCKING JUST SHOCKING.

I know right? I'm fat at 95 pounds? ! Guck that shit!

I know right? I'm fat at 95 pounds? ! Guck that shit!

Archived