IGNORED

90 Day Fiance on TLC

keen23

Is anyone watching 90 Day Fiance?

http://www.tlc.com/tv-shows/90-day-fiance/about.htm (not broken, TLC doesn't care)

I have feelings about this show, and would like to discuss.

Kirlyan & Alan- I don't think she's as much into him as he is to her. Plus the whole Mormon thing

Russ & Paola- They confuse me, because I don't think Russ is really into women, and Paola is very much a woman. Plus, I think she likes his money.

Louis & Aya- probably the most realistic couple. Like they may actually like each other

Mike & Aziza- I don't think it's going to work out

Haven't heard of it, but it sounds like a train wreck waiting to happen. I'm not against international marriage -my mother in law is British- but this just sounds like a bad idea.

Aziza doesn't project any sort of chemistry with Mike.

Paola and Russ could work, but there are tons of cultural issues. I think he likes women, but his background is just very different and not nearly as expressive. I can see her being bored to tears in Oklahoma.

I think Paola is too much of a party girl and not ready for marriage. I also don't think Russ likes women.

I actually think Alan & Kirlyan are cute together.

Aziza is only trying to get out of Russia, she's not into Mike at all.

I had the same thought about Russ but then they seemed to have a lot if chemistry. Absolutely ridiculous to me that he expects her to live with his parents and sleep in a separate room.

Aziza has zero attraction to th guy. I feel really bad for him.

I don't like the dynamic between Alan and kirlayam. Hope she leaves him in her dust

I'm super-hooked on this show and I'm disappointed there's only 6 episodes.

Paola and Russ seem like a bit of an odd couple, but they did meet in a real-life, non-internet way when he was legitimately working in Colombia. She may or may not have ulterior motives, but one thing is certain: Russ is gonna buy her ANYTHING SHE WANTS :)

Aziza & the bald guy kind of make me feel bad for both -- she clearly wanted to get the heck out of Ukraine and it seems he is too socially awkward to attract local ladies who don't need him in order to live in the US.

Kirliyam (I can't pronounce that even when I try really hard but I think it's a cool name) and Alan just seem like a strange pair, and it's not even clear if she is Mormon or not. He seems creepy and jealous, and I'm sort of hoping she's just playing along until she knows what's what with her future in the US.

I'm not sure Aya is going to like Louis for much longer if she ever did. Obviously I can't really know what her situation is, but from where I'm sitting the Philippines are looking better all the time.

I think (with any number of exceptions) that the dynamics that go into the creation of these types of relationships (ones which involve clear disparities in knowledge/wealth, etc.) and the stereotype of the (usually) men who seek them out does not make for a healthy, balanced partnership. My $0.02 as someone who does not have direct or indirect experience with the "mail-order" experience or any approximation thereof.

I think Alan and Kirliyam really do like each other, but part of me wonders if part of the attraction for Alan was the fact that she seemed vulnerable and child-like. She's beautiful, but looks like she's a teenager. That's where I see potential danger, because she's going to get used to the United States, learn the language and stop having that deer in the headlights look, and if he can't deal with the loss of control that's a problem.

Long distance relationships obviously have extra challenges, but sometimes the least likely pairings succeed. I knew a couple that only got married because he, as a Canadian soldier during WWII, was asked to marry her by another soldier just so she (a Polish Jewish refugee) could get into Canada. The plan was to get divorced right away, but then they discovered that they had really fallen in love. They were very happy together right to the end. My husband's aunt came to Canada when she got married to a man 20 years older. They barely spoke any language in common, but they had a happy life together until he died last year in his 90s.

• 2 weeks later...

This show. Just wow.

Aziza's "bachelorette party" was really something, as in "let's tell her we think she is premeditating murder, make her cry, then hug her and tell her how much we love her. oh, plus we're DRUNK."

Aya's fiancé probably should have done some more serious financial planning prior to having her move to the US. He needs to take more cues from Russ & just buy her whatever she wants, then suck up her complaints when he patiently explains that he has to *work* to make money to buy her whatever she wants.

I actually feel really bad for Aya -- she deserves a nice dress after all of the stuff she walked into with that situation.

Alan is so creepy, & Kirlyam did not seem thrilled at the idea of moving up their wedding date.

It seemed really weird to me that she wouldn't show Alan's mom her dress, unless she was just super-afraid that Alan's mom would disapprove of it as immodest.

This show. Just wow.

Aziza's "bachelorette party" was really something, as in "let's tell her we think she is premeditating murder, make her cry, then hug her and tell her how much we love her. oh, plus we're DRUNK."

Aya's fiancé probably should have done some more serious financial planning prior to having her move to the US. He needs to take more cues from Russ & just buy her whatever she wants, then suck up her complaints when he patiently explains that he has to *work* to make money to buy her whatever she wants.

I actually feel really bad for Aya -- she deserves a nice dress after all of the stuff she walked into with that situation.

Alan is so creepy, & Kirlyam did not seem thrilled at the idea of moving up their wedding date.

It seemed really weird to me that she wouldn't show Alan's mom her dress, unless she was just super-afraid that Alan's mom would disapprove of it as immodest.

I think it's possible that she didn't want to show Alan's mom her dress because his mom would say it's immodest. If they get married in a LDS temple, then it's possible that the dress would be considered immodest because of the ceremony venue.

It creeped me out that Alan wanted to move up the wedding date.

The faster he can get her locked down, the less likely it is she'll leave. He's a jealous bastard, isn't he?

I'm not a huge Aziza fan but the mom was awful to her. Someone should have stood up for her. I definitely have more sympathy for her after that.

Who was the one who was bawling because the groom couldn't afford the wedidng dress she wanted?

This show intrigues me, but I've only seen commercials

Hmm, not being able to pay for the dress was a plot point for two of the brides. One was Aya, from the Philippines who wanted a $300 dress. Her fiance was uncomfortable with the cost when you factored in veil and alterations (totaling an extra $200).

The other was Paola from Colombia who wanted one of those sheer, boned, sparkly creations. At $1800 that was out of her budget as well (thank God because those are super tacky IMHO). I don't remember her crying about it though.

Hmm, not being able to pay for the dress was a plot point for two of the brides. One was Aya, from the Philippines who wanted a $300 dress. Her fiance was uncomfortable with the cost when you factored in veil and alterations (totaling an extra $200).

The other was Paola from Colombia who wanted one of those sheer, boned, sparkly creations. At $1800 that was out of her budget as well (thank God because those are super tacky IMHO). I don't remember her crying about it though.

I think it must have been Aya. BUt $500.00 for all that, and her fiance had a stick up his butt? I paid $1100.00

I think it must have been Aya. BUt $500.00 for all that, and her fiance had a stick up his butt? I paid $1100.00

I know! Um, 500.00 is not that bad, dude!

I watched it.

I think Russ and Paola actually will do well. He has a bit of a gay vibe, I think, because he used to be nerdy, comes from a conservative background, and is still a little awkward with his new money/nice clothes/freedom to do what he likes.

Alan was creepy, creepy, creepy. He said he fell in love with her because of her beauty. She comes from an incredibly impoverished background, and is nearly 9 years his junior. He got possessive/jealous because she did a professional modeling shoot and didn't answer her phone ASAP. He comes across as predatory.

Aziza wants a green card. Aya and Louis are both mature and functional to the point of boring-ness and will do fine together.

Louis and Aya are the most "normal" couple but I don't know if they're going to last. Aya is super homesick and she's overwhelmed with the prospect of having to deal with the two kids and ex-wife. Also, I think she's coming to realize that Louis does not have the disposable income she would like to have. I'm not trying to imply that she's a golddigger but I think it was a shock for her that she could not buy a dress a little bit out of their price range (I totally don't blame her, that would've been disappointing to me, too!).

I like Paola's drive and willingness to speak her mind, but I don't see any chemistry between her and Russ. None.

Mike and Aziz are sad to watch. Mike is awkward, and Aziz sits there like a dead fish. Mike clearly cares about her a lot but he's still pretty stubborn. And poor Aziz. She seems overwhelmed with her new life and completely uninterested in Mike. On top of that, Mike's family is busting her chops on a regular basis. That's got to be tough.

I watched half of one episode of this show at the gym. It was weird. That's all I really have to say. I hope that they are all happy with their lives, however their relationships may have gone. Glad to hear they all got married. Watching someone be devastated over a breakup is not something I want to watch on TV or in Real Life.

• Upvote 1

My husband got sucked into the show. He works with a guy who just basically got a mail order bride from the Philippines, and the co-worker's fiance just came over on her 90 day visa. The girl is just someone he met through a "dating" service, is 15 years younger than him (not that it's a bad thing, just stating the facts) and has a child back in the Philippines who did not/could not come over.

• Upvote 1