IGNORED

new study Stress in the womb causes gay children

doggie

If stress during pg causes gay babies, Zsu has one more thing to worry about.

People have abortions every day to eliminate female fetuses, and occasionally to eliminate male fetuses if the mother just does not want to raise one. I wouldn't worry that much about people abortiing gay fetuses-they should not be raising gay children in the first place. The scary scenario is the prolifers who identify which of their children are gay from the womb, then spend a lifetime trying to make them straight through psychological abuse and beatings.

You know what I'd do differently if one of my children winds up being gay? Absolutely nothing. I would teach the same attitudes toward sex and relationships that I teach my straight kids. Respect for and from your partner, respect for yourself, and preventing stds goes for everyone. I guess I wouldn't need to worry about unplanned pregnancy, but other than that, I don't see how it would be any different. I would teach them that their sexual orientation has nothing to do with their worth as a human being. And you better believe if anyone bullied them for their sexuality or any other reason, I'd go to the ends of the earth to put a stop to it.

A biological cause is preferable to being cast as evil and told you can over come the gay if you just pray enough......

Yes, I suppose. I guess I am just not the type of person to sit around and think about what 'causes' homosexuality/heterosexuality. I am straight, because I like the opposite sex. It's seriously that simple. It's sad that we need to 'justify' sexuality.

I haven't been able to read this particular article, but I don't think that its unreasonable that scientists might be interested in researching sexuality like this. Whenever some people belong to category a and some people belong to category b, there will be psychologists and biologists trying to figure out why that is. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with "justifying" one position or the other - it's likely just good old fashoned scientific curiosity.

That said, it seems like there needs to be a shift in the way the question is framed. At the moment it tends to be "what makes people gay" which implies that being gay is a deviation from normal behaviour that has a particular cause. Not good, or accurate, or helpful.

Maybe "does sexuality have a biological component?" would be less dubious? That would encompass heterosexuality and bisexuality as well. Although perhaps we're not yet at a place where we can ask that without society taking it the wrong way anyway, which is certainly an important ethical consideration.

Yes, I suppose. I guess I am just not the type of person to sit around and think about what 'causes' homosexuality/heterosexuality. I am straight, because I like the opposite sex. It's seriously that simple. It's sad that we need to 'justify' sexuality.

There has been a lot of research on sex subjects. I mean just trying to find the g spot has had a ton if research sex is popular and no longer hidden from the public.

I missed the question somehow, but:

I absolutely wouldn't take a cure for being gay. It's a part of who I am. It's not a big part, but it's an integral part. I have never been uncomfortable with my sexuality. The problems I have in the relationship department are the same problems hetero women have (trouble meeting an attractive, compatible partner). I can't adopt or marry but I'm not ready for kids (as much as I'd like to be and to have them) and I don't have a partner so neither are issues.

There has been a lot of research on sex subjects. I mean just trying to find the g spot has had a ton if research sex is popular and no longer hidden from the public.

The research, what causes homosexuality, arose by coincident, as often happens in scientific research. It can't and shouldn't be stopped because you fear the consequences. Prof. Swaab's intent is not to find a cure, because he doesn't. He studies the brain and presents his findings. Again, this hasn't been presented as facts, but apparantly there are indications... that is how research works.

Every time science progresses and something new has been proven, inevitably there will be new moral and ethical 'considerations'.

I find this article in the Daily Mail tendentious and doesn't really reflect what actually has been written.

It's an interesting theory, and I don't mean to imply that Dr. Swaab is in any way homophobic. The pathologizing of homosexuality bugs me. (not that Dr. Swaab is doing that, just in general) Those FJers who are lgbt, would you change it if you could? If they found a "cure" for homosexuality, would you take it?

Nope, Im happy with who I am and wouldn't change my sexuality even if I could.

Research on how the brain develops is very important. IIRC the research on theses stressed pregnant dutch women in WWII discovered heritable changes to their babies' DNA (methylation). That is huge, enormous, important.

Studies like this seem to imply that having a gay child is bad, something to be avoided. I'm all for stress free pregnancy, though I fail to see the child being gay as a negative outcome. I wouldn't be upset if my kid was left handed or red headed, why would gay be any different?

Left handed scissors are pricey! One of my children is fairly anxious, I'd change that if I could. I wish I hadn't passed on my crappy eyesight. I hope none of my children are trans because it involves hard decisions and people are shits, but if it's a choice between happy trans and anorexic I choose trans. Don't all parents want their children to have the best chance at a happy life, even though they love them for who they are? If you lived in Russia or Nigeria then a straight child would have a far greater chance of living a happy life.

Asexuals must have a hard time. A lot of people refuse to believe it's real, and that the person just has a low sex drive or can be cured by having sex with a magical 'right person'. At least being gay is straightforward to me. I am sexually attracted to women, and only women. End of story.

Oh my god I get this ALL THE TIME! It drives me so effin nuts I'm scared to come out to people, especially religious people who insist that we are all sexual beings.

And to make things more complicated, a lot of asexuals do have a sex drive, we just don't have a drive for PARTNERED sex, and that, really, is what makes us asexual. A lot of us, for example, enjoy masturbation, but the minute you suggest we do it WITH someone? Some of us might enjoy it, but it's not like, a need that we have, if that makes sense?

And then we get the "you can really be asexual because you masturbate." and it's like... sexual orientation has to do with attraction, not action

/rant

Sorry. Yes, I would very much like to be recognized as normal, and not feel like I can't come out even if I wanted to, but would I change my orientation? Some days. Most days, hell no.

But, that having been said, I would very much like to find out WHY I am asexual verses heterosexual or any other variation on sexual orientation. I would be interested in why so many people straight, while other people aren't. That would interest me, and maybe that was what this study was about and it wasn't worded while.

Maybe it would make it easier to justify, kind of like, "homosexuality/asexuality/insert sexual orientation here is no one's 'fault,' it's just the way their chromosomes are.'"

Or... something....

People abort due to prejudice. Gender, disability (even 'minor' and correctable forms such as cleft lip, deformed limbs, ect.). Those children are also often dumped off somewhere and are at a higher risk for abuse. If people had a test for autism or asperger's in the womb, do you really think a lot of people wouldn't abort those babies as well?

I think most people abort not for fun or inconvenience but because they don't believe they can handle whatever situation is arising. I think most people relinquish their newborns for the same reason. So while I do believe (ironically) that the good pro-life religious moralists of the world probably would abandon or abort their children with a gay "gene" or whatever (or abuse them to death, potentially, right from the start), that would not be the only prejudicial reason for having an abortion.

I will admit, having a family member with Downs Syndrome whom I am very glad is alive and here in this world today, and having worked with a number of truly incredible people with disabilities that probably would have been aborted today, I probably feel the same way that others might on testing for 'gayness'. It makes me uncomfortable. But OTOH the parents IMO have a right to know, they have a right to not be interfered with, and if something is so wrong with the fetus in their eyes that there's a danger of extreme abuse and or abandonment then...I am not so sure that abortion is a terrible option. My feelings on the girl purge in India and other places is of similar mixed feelings, because of the life (at present) those girls would live.

And I wish that we had a great support system in place where families had more options. But we don't. So my discomfort is my problem. It's okay for me to be disturbed; it's not really my place to tell another woman what she can/can't handle or that she's horrible because she chose differently than me.

I've been wondering lately if I'm asexual. I did have a relationship with a man for two years. When we broke up in 2008, I missed the good times I'd had with him but I didn't miss the sex. In fact, the lovemaking was something I used to go along with as part of the relationship, but it was always him who initiated. Since then, I've not been out with anyone else. I do have "crushes" on men all the time - for lack of a less teenage word - and have never fancied women, but every time I get asked out by anybody, I turn them down because I know from experience that I'm just not that keen on sex. Like someone else said, it could just have been the sexual activity with Mark I didn't enjoy, but I don't think it's that. And if that means I end up a lonely old cat lady, I honestly don't care. A guy asked me out the other week, and I tried out the word asexual. He didn't get it at all, he looked at me blankly and said "Does that mean you like girls?" When I told him what asexual meant, he said "Oh so you're a virgin!" I pointed out I couldn't know I

wasn't into sex if I was! But yes, relatively few people understand asexuality. Lots of people automatically peg me as gay, as I have lots of friends who are guys, but no boyfriend. Although you still get homophobia, at least it is widely recognised and accepted by many. I just wish everyone could accept that we are all different and that there is nothing wrong in that.

I've been wondering lately if I'm asexual. I did have a relationship with a man for two years. When we broke up in 2008, I missed the good times I'd had with him but I didn't miss the sex. In fact, the lovemaking was something I used to go along with as part of the relationship, but it was always him who initiated. Since then, I've not been out with anyone else. I do have "crushes" on men all the time - for lack of a less teenage word - and have never fancied women, but every time I get asked out by anybody, I turn them down because I know from experience that I'm just not that keen on sex. Like someone else said, it could just have been the sexual activity with Mark I didn't enjoy, but I don't think it's that. And if that means I end up a lonely old cat lady, I honestly don't care. A guy asked me out the other week, and I tried out the word asexual. He didn't get it at all, he looked at me blankly and said "Does that mean you like girls?" When I told him what asexual meant, he said "Oh so you're a virgin!" I pointed out I couldn't know I

wasn't into sex if I was! But yes, relatively few people understand asexuality. Lots of people automatically peg me as gay, as I have lots of friends who are guys, but no boyfriend. Although you still get homophobia, at least it is widely recognised and accepted by many. I just wish everyone could accept that we are all different and that there is nothing wrong in that.

I would put money on there being asexual online networks. If you like companionship, then a partner with a similar lack of sex interest would be nice?

I would put money on there being asexual online networks. If you like companionship, then a partner with a similar lack of sex interest would be nice?

Yup. AVEN.

From an evolutionary standpoint, this makes sense because stress signals fewer resources, overcrowding etc. I remember reading one study a long time ago where the more crowded an environment was, the more likely the animals in the experiment were going to be gay. It was like nature's way of putting the breaks on population growth.

One more reason not to have tons of kids if you don't like gay people.

Archived