IGNORED

1/2009 - Maxwell's first meet the Duggar's.

Justme

What the heck is the French-Canadian war? Was that the Canadiens vs. the Nordiques or what? lol. Way to go SOTDRT. Acadians aren't having any fewer children than the rest of society, so their reasoning doesn't really hold up. But who cares about logic and historical accuracy when you've got an agenda and a point to prove?

Ha! I didn't even pick up on that!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the heck is the French-Canadian war? Was that the Canadiens vs. the Nordiques or what? lol. Way to go SOTDRT. Acadians aren't having any fewer children than the rest of society, so their reasoning doesn't really hold up. But who cares about logic and historical accuracy when you've got an agenda and a point to prove?

The Habs won that war, and a certain segment of the Franco-Ontarian population still mourns the loss by wearing grubby Nordiques jerseys in all places, at all times...

The Habs won that war, and a certain segment of the Franco-Ontarian population still mourns the loss by wearing grubby Nordiques jerseys in all places, at all times...

"Je me souviens," mon amie. ;)

p.s. Go Habs.

That unibrow on Mary was bad. I guess tweezing wasn't allowed in the schedule. :pink-shock:

So I spent a good part of my evening down the rabbit hole that is the Titus2blog. There are several fairly interesting differences: Sarah seems much 'chattier' and her smile still reaches her eyes, their 'conferences' are more frequent with comparatively high attendance, and the frumpers ...(Oh my!). Another big difference is the way Steve replies to comments. Here's an example. Admittedly it's an admirer sucking up but, in general, he replies more like a human being. The terse, half sentence answer seem to be a more recent behaviour.

Humm... Perhaps he didn't know people like "us" were reading his blog. Maybe "we" make him paranoid. ; o )

Hahahahahaha

That unibrow on Mary was bad. I guess tweezing wasn't allowed in the schedule. :pink-shock:

But God created that hair and Mary is plucking out god's creation and altering the beautiful countenance he gave her......

I agree, the eyebrow shaping has made a world of difference.

The sad thing is, even though the Maxwells will use the Duggars to advertise their products, the Duggars are actually WAY more liberal than Steve would ever allow his family to be.

They don't wear ankle length skirts - in fact, we've spied a few Duggar SAHD knees, they have a show on The Beast, the courting kids touch before the wedding ceremony, they go on Alert and JTTH with their peers and without their parents etc.

It's scary, but the Maxwells manage to make the Duggars look like flaming liberals. I have wondered what the Maxwell "kids" thought when they attended Jinger and Joseph's graduation - even the ATI teens have much more freedom(and f*n) than they ever will.

In fact, I think I've read somewhere that the Maxwells were briefly involved in ATI but left cause it wasn't family focused enough. The mind boggles.

The Duggars decorate their house for Christmas with more than just a cross with lights on it. Although i've never seen a Christmas Tr** in the TTH, i've seen them in old videos & other houses they have stayed in.

But God created that hair and Mary is plucking out god's creation and altering the beautiful countenance he gave her......

I agree, the eyebrow shaping has made a world of difference.

Also she had braces.

Of course I think it was good for her, she became a beautiful girl. But...is it godly to be focused in beauty?

I was looking at their products and confess I'd rather like to see a moth schedule! Timetables fascinate me (geek) but there's no way I'm lining Steve's pockets. What I don't understand is why scheduling is 'biblical' other than it including bible time? Am I missing something?

I was looking at their products and confess I'd rather like to see a moth schedule! Timetables fascinate me (geek) but there's no way I'm lining Steve's pockets. What I don't understand is why scheduling is 'biblical' other than it including bible time? Am I missing something?

It's a pain in the ass to put together (or at least it was in my experience). Cutting out all those little squares, ugh. She touts it as "easy" because you put the squares on the main sheet with poster putty and you can move them around...well, you can also move stuff around on an Excel spreadsheet and just print another one. Typing is a lot faster than cutting out dozens of little neon paper squares.

The verses I've heard fundies throw around for scheduling are any verses in Proverbs about managing time wisely and Eph. 5:15-16 (redeeming the time, because the days are evil), and one that says "let all things be done decently and in order", I can't remember the reference right now (though that one is referring to worship services or gatherings of believers, but as always, the fundies don't let context get in the way).

I mentioned this in another thread and I'm going to mention it again here since you brought up MOTH - Susan Bradrick gave a lecture called "24 Hours Is All You Get" that predates MOTH by several years. With it, she included a PDF file of how to put a biblical daily schedule together. It's basically MOTH without the squares. It is my personal feeling that Teri took Susan's idea/scheduling program, added some paper cutouts and turned it into her own money-making machine. If I were Susan Bradrick I'd have been pissed.

Also she had braces.

Of course I think it was good for her, she became a beautiful girl. But...is it godly to be focused in beauty?

Mary's teeth may have been so bad that their were health concerns because of it. My teeth weren't nearly as crooked when I got braces as an adult, but I already had issues with grinding and gingivitis because of them.

So I spent a good part of my evening down the rabbit hole that is the Titus2blog. There are several fairly interesting differences: Sarah seems much 'chattier' and her smile still reaches her eyes, their 'conferences' are more frequent with comparatively high attendance, and the frumpers ...(Oh my!). Another big difference is the way Steve replies to comments. Here's an example. Admittedly it's an admirer sucking up but, in general, he replies more like a human being. The terse, half sentence answer seem to be a more recent behaviour.

I find his lack of respect revolting. He's talking about human beings like they are toys or pets. "First try if you can manage a turtle, then you can get a snake...." It may be for the best he stopped spewing his BS all over the place. :angry-banghead:

Nuh-uh-to-the-mais-non -- where did that first quote come from? Titus2BOG???!!!!

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but for lurkers who don't know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_of_the_Acadians

Link intact bcz Wikipedia don't give a sheet.

I have no problem with them fixing Mary's teeth and letting her shape her brows. But egadsandlittlefishes, doesn't that make an idol of looking attractive? Don't they do the same thing with Poor Sarah's occasional flowerdy headband? Why, Steve, you're approaching Flirty Fish sin, there.

As to his advice to the homeschooling mom interested in befriending/ministering-evangelizing nursing home residents, I don't take it as "try one pet, and if it doesn't die, try a bigger one." I sincerely think he was giving the inquirer good advice, and having been around all the nursing homes/retirement complexes I EVER want to be around for the rest of my life, it's good of the mom to want to attempt to bring some pleasance to the days of any person who would welcome it.

But absolutely, I think he's gotten terse because FJ and other critics have him on the defensive.

Oh, by the way, the Acadian expulsion? There were religious overtones to the whole thing. Something to think about.

ETA: would somebody please refresh my memory as to Aunt Tami's surname? I remember viewing her FB page and breathing a sigh of relief that Poor Sarah and any other siblings who wanted to, had access to a blood relation who's grounded.

ETAA: I don't believe Steve is free of evil intent, even though certainly he sees everything he does, every decision he makes about his children's lives, as Divinely-inspired and -endorsed. As he humbly replied to the inquiring mom, all the goodness in him is Jesus; I wonder if Steve has ever soberly examined his motives and methods for keeping his children 100% pure. Which to be consistent about it, they can never be. Sin, right, Steve?

They bought Grandma an ironing board for Christmas because she does all their ironing? Well that is just the quintessential Maxwell Christmas gift.

Almost -- I believe this is the quintessential Maxwell gift:

nyQTufP.jpg

Seeing the old pics does bring back memories. The Maxwells were certainly very popular when they first started their touring! The amount of work they put into Uriah certainly implies Steve thought they would be touring for many, many years.....

Mary was kind homily before braces and tweezers. I thought the Maxwells, at one point, mentioned they don't do any beautifying stuff because they see that as arousing men and defying what God gave you. I think their trip to the Duggars changed that attitude. Afterwards, the Maxwell girls started playing with their hair and dumping their frumperwear.

Despite whatever the Maxwells think about the Duggars, I think seeing a fundie family where girls use makeup, hair styling and modern clothing and still retaining modesty convinced the Maxwells they could do that as well. I wonder if allowing for the girls to pretty themselves was one way for Steve to channel his daughter's anxiety regarding their lack of courtships. Maybe Steve figures it would make the girls feel like they are helping the encourage courtships? Or perhaps Steve/Maxwell girls thought if the competition (aka other fundie girls) were tweezing and dressing stylish, then they had to in order to increase their husband chances. I bet Steve figures that's relatively harmless as long as HE is still the gatekeeper. What's the harm of letting the girls play with their hair if he (Steve) still tells any boy to keep away?

I was always shocked that Steve would choose to associate with the Duggars at all, given his belief that television is THE BEAST and the source of all that's bad in the world. Despite the fact at he got rid of the tv, radio, newspaper and all other mainstream media, he's got to know that the Duggars not only haven't gotten rid of THEIR tv, they star in their very own show. Whether it's Christian TV or not, Steve still frowns on it. So I have a really hard time reconciling Steve's hard line against the beast with his ongoing relationship with the Duggars. Hypocrisy much, Steve?

That page of their blog has an entry about their annual caroling, and sure enough, they give each of their neighbors a Christmas card about death! Wow! I'd always wondered.

I was always shocked that Steve would choose to associate with the Duggars at all, given his belief that television is THE BEAST and the source of all that's bad in the world. Despite the fact at he got rid of the tv, radio, newspaper and all other mainstream media, he's got to know that the Duggars not only haven't gotten rid of THEIR tv, they star in their very own show. Whether it's Christian TV or not, Steve still frowns on it. So I have a really hard time reconciling Steve's hard line against the beast with his ongoing relationship with the Duggars. Hypocrisy much, Steve?

The Duggars claim not to have a TV hooked up. In the early episode with JoyAnna covering the screen so her brothers don't see defrauding women (so fucked up - she was only about 8), they pulled an old television with rabbit ears out to watch a Duggar appearance.

That said,they happily attend and endorse movies like "Courageous", I'm sure they watch television and movies on their Apple devices, and we know Josh has cable, and judging by the Karate Kid references he made on Instagram a few days ago he's trying to fill the gaping holes in his pop culture knowledge.

All of which would appall Steve.

Hey, Steve -- I'm watching my Beast right now, and it is showing me Elmer Gantry.

You'd probably disapprove of the title character, not because he lies and cheats and takes money for nothing of worth, but because his preaching doesn't have enough hell and death in it, and he makes worship f*n.

You have to cut out those squares? That's stupid, why not use a sticky note?

Because that wouldn't be godly!!1!!!

...I must confess, I've only seen MOTH from a distance in pics of other people's homes on the internet, and I just assumed those WERE sticky notes, cut to size. It's definitely what I'd use (if I didn't just use calendar software instead - you can make a meeting from 10 to 10:30 called "polishing the toilet" or whatever that repeats every Tuesday, easily enough).

When it comes to scheduling, I do like having a set schedule, I like to do lists, I'm quite the regimented mouse who likes routine. But I want to make my OWN routine.

...and on my personal schedule there are actually times to drink beer! :dance:

The Duggars claim not to have a TV hooked up. In the early episode with JoyAnna covering the screen so her brothers don't see defrauding women (so fucked up - she was only about 8), they pulled an old television with rabbit ears out to watch a Duggar appearance.

That said,they happily attend and endorse movies like "Courageous", I'm sure they watch television and movies on their Apple devices, and we know Josh has cable, and judging by the Karate Kid references he made on Instagram a few days ago he's trying to fill the gaping holes in his pop culture knowledge.

All of which would appall Steve.

Even worse, the rabbit ears bit was all for show. By then, all television signals in the US had switched from analog to digital, rendering rabbit ears useless. The Duggars likely re-enacted that scene with a taped version of the 'rent's appearance on The View.

Steve REALLY wouldn't approve of any of that.

Wait, but my mother lives in the States and she uses an antenna to get over the air stations. So that's something different than rabbit ears?

Even worse, the rabbit ears bit was all for show. By then, all television signals in the US had switched from analog to digital, rendering rabbit ears useless. The Duggars likely re-enacted that scene with a taped version of the 'rent's appearance on The View.

Steve REALLY wouldn't approve of any of that.

We are still required to use rabbit ears for watching local channels as we don't have a cable subscription, so I can believe that their use of rabbit ears was legit.

Because that wouldn't be godly!!1!!!

...I must confess, I've only seen MOTH from a distance in pics of other people's homes on the internet, and I just assumed those WERE sticky notes, cut to size. It's definitely what I'd use (if I didn't just use calendar software instead - you can make a meeting from 10 to 10:30 called "polishing the toilet" or whatever that repeats every Tuesday, easily enough).

When it comes to scheduling, I do like having a set schedule, I like to do lists, I'm quite the regimented mouse who likes routine. But I want to make my OWN routine.

...and on my personal schedule there are actually times to drink beer! :dance:

Michelle uses sticky post-it-notes, they showed her making the schedule with them once.

Archived