IGNORED

New Flowers in the Attic Movie on Lifetime (Merge)

mastercleaner

Well, it's supposed to be icky. I mean, how do you not read about incest and rape and abuse and murder, and not feel icky?

Part of me is amazed that we were all allowed to read this stuff. It was like there was an unwritten rule that if you were a girl reading a thick book without pictures, you were just being "bookish" and there was no need to check the content. I've noticed that the YA stuff these days is far tamer with the sex stuff.

My GRANDMOTHER gave me the Flowers in the Attic series and My Sweet Audrina just before I turned 10. Yes, I was reading adult books, but mainly 50s sci fi and classics. I loved them, and went on to read all the VC Andrews that was out til I was about 15, but I wouldn't give them to my nearly 10 year old.

That was the crazy part. My parents knew that I had all these books - I didn't hide them. They just had no idea what they were really about. Judy Blume books with any questionable content would get questions (my mom had heard that Then Again, Maybe I Won't talked about masturbation, and of course we knew that Forever needed to be read secretly), but the school library had V.C. Andrews and no adult every thought twice about it. We were just good, smart girls doing lots of reading.

Did I ever mention that I took a course called Reading for Enjoyment in high school, and got credit for reading Lace and Jackie Collins novels? Yes, my friends and I all discussed the goldfish scene. 50 Shades is so lame compared to the stuff I read back in high school.

I DVR'd it and tried to watch it earlier this week. I really tried. I've never been so thankful my kids walked into a room in my life. I should sue Heather Graham for the 30 or 40 minutes of my life I'll never get back. I loved the Lizzie Borden movie though. I went into it prepared not to like it because I liked Elizabeth Montgomery's performance, but Ricci owned that role. For a Lifetime movie it was really, really good.

I read all those books and they were gross! I remember reading some bodice ripper when I was about 10 and my mom said I couldn't read it. I become confused, "But sure I can. The words aren't too hard for me to read at all!" She took it away... Guess she never suspected "Flowers in the Attic."

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My GRANDMOTHER gave me the Flowers in the Attic series and My Sweet Audrina just before I turned 10. Yes, I was reading adult books, but mainly 50s sci fi and classics. I loved them, and went on to read all the VC Andrews that was out til I was about 15, but I wouldn't give them to my nearly 10 year old.

I totally read at least the first few of these back in about Grade 8 or 9. Read em at school, read em at home, no adult ever tried to stop us. It wasn't really my style of book (I was, and am a voracious reader,)but even the popular non reader girls wanted to be seen reading VC Andrews because it was cool. I didn't read more than the first two because they really were kind of icky, but while you were reading them you couldn't put it down. It was kind of like a train wreck that you can't stop yourself from staring at.

And OMG,your GRANDMOTHER?! That is hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

And OMG,your GRANDMOTHER?! That is hilarious. ...[snipped]

At least your GRANDFATHER didn't give you Nabokov's Lolita! Haha. In all seriousness, he did me a box of Russian literature, including Lolita.

But I DO think Flowers in the Attic perfectly fine reading for a ten year-old, just barely. 12 would be better. Because very much like Lolita, the women/girls who read this very much feel that the chief elements of the story are its beauty and pathos. And furthermore, I think young girls can relate or identify with Cathy, just wanting to be and live, like a normal girl - after all, it is a story about a 12 year-old girl.

That is not to say 'Lolita' is okay for a ten year-old, def. not!

• 1 month later...

this movie was such a disappointment. Like the others said--it was rushed

i did enjoy the first movie (not the lifetime one)

my mom used to threaten my brother and I if we misbehaved out in public--she would just say remember flowers in the attic? it was a good tactic--we shaped up right away. If i ever have a kid, maybe I'll use that myself one day

this movie was such a disappointment. Like the others said--it was rushed

i did enjoy the first movie (not the lifetime one)

my mom used to threaten my brother and I if we misbehaved out in public--she would just say remember flowers in the attic? it was a good tactic--we shaped up right away. If i ever have a kid, maybe I'll use that myself one day

Ew, no. Just no.

Archived