IGNORED

New Flowers in the Attic Movie on Lifetime (Merge)

mastercleaner

On January 18th lifetime is showing a remake of Flowers in the Attic. Heather Graham plays the mother and Ellen burstyn plays the grandmother!

It was my favorite book/series growing up, and I was really disappointed in the first movie, it was poorly done, and at least this one looks more faithful to the book!

Regardless I'm super excited to watch it!

Here is the link to the trailer http://youtu.be/lUiM0V0SHAo

I LOVED the V.C. Andrews series of books, I must've read 5 or 6 of the sets. Looking forward to watching the remake, as the original movie was a bust!

I read that book years and years ago (recommended by a cousin), what a load of bovine manure!!!

I adore Kiernan Shipka (Mad Men's Sally Draper), who plays Cathy, and of course Burstyn is always a treat. Will definitely see it.

Those books always made me feel icky after I read them. Was it just me?

But I did go through a V.C. Andrews phase.

I love these books. I'm starting the latest book now. I just hope this new movie is as good as it should be since it's on Lifetime.

Nope. The whole incest thing was icky as were various other relationships in the series. Yet I read every word of every book in the series :shrug: :think:

I read the book series some years ago. What impressed me about the first one, Flowers in the Attic, was the number of different things the author managed to come up with for the kids to do to keep busy even though they were confined to only two rooms. The series pretty much went downhill after that, a lot of the plot was just completely ridiculous.

The original movie was enjoyably bad. It left some important things out of the book, but I always felt like everyone was well-cast for their roles in the film. I saw the trailer for the remake, and Ellen Burstyn was really hamming it up - it was kind of odd, considering she's know for her talent as an actress. Heather Graham's presence in the film as the mother will be hit-or-miss - she'll either be good or she'll be terrible. Anyway, I'll look forward to seeing it. :)

I adore Kiernan Shipka (Mad Men's Sally Draper), who plays Cathy, and of course Burstyn is always a treat. Will definitely see it.

I couldn't agree with you more.

• 1 month later...

I was literally nauseated after watching the movie.

It was a pretty icky series, and yeah, I totally went through a V.C. Andrews phase too.

I must be in a minority because I have as much interest in the subject matter of these books as in the 50 Shades of Gray series -- zero. Won't be watching the movie.

It was a pretty icky series, and yeah, I totally went through a V.C. Andrews phase too.

Add me to the list of people who went through a V.C. Andrews phase. In junior high, to be exact. I think the writing appeals to that age group, since everything is so dramatic and the emotional volume is turned up roughly to level 21.

I even gave a book report on Flowers in the Attic when I was in 8th grade, with a diorama of the attic room as a visual aid. :lol: :lol: My best friend at the time did one on My Sweet Audrina, complete with a "golden raintree" (from the book) as her visual aid.

I don't think I could even sit through another film version of this--though I must admit I am curious (especially since the first movie was so laughably bad).

• 4 weeks later...

Father, forgive me, for I have sinned. I just got finished hate-watching it, just as I hate-read the novel around the time it came out.

How anything full of such vile and emotionally manipulative content could remotely be considered "good" is beyond me.

That said, it seems to be impossible for Kiernan Shipka to mess up ANYTHING she appears in. Also, Hane, the Chief of the Anachronism Fashion Police deems the costumes to have been pretty much on the money for the time period portrayed.

I thought it was OK. Seemed really rushed, like it was hard to believe it was years they were locked up their instead of moths. Missed some important scenes in the book. The ending, though more "dramatic" than the book was at least not ridiculous as in the first movie.

Looks like the are going to make a sequel from the second book.

It was meh! I agree it was very rushed!! There's like a 2 week period where they are being starved.... And it's a big deal, they drink their brothers blood! And they skimmed over that.

I also liked Louise fletcher in the crappy version better than ellen burstyn in this one.

The house/attic was WAY smaller, it's supposed to be a big estate, and the attic was supposed to be huge!

You barley learn anything about the twins, and then cory just dies. There's no build up to it.

They also romanticized the incest. In the book Chris practically rapes Cathy and they both feel awful about it. There's no dreamy pillow talk or casual kissing in the bathroom.

They don't have a romantic relationship till later!

The party dress that Corinne wears is iconic, and so is the swan bed, and they left it out!

The ending is pretty stupid.

I have no idea how they are gonna do Petals, there's so much that goes on, they'd have to do a 2 parter.

It was meh! I agree it was very rushed!! There's like a 2 week period where they are being starved.... And it's a big deal, they drink their brothers blood! And they skimmed over that.

I also liked Louise fletcher in the crappy version better than ellen burstyn in this one.

The house/attic was WAY smaller, it's supposed to be a big estate, and the attic was supposed to be huge!

You barley learn anything about the twins, and then cory just dies. There's no build up to it.

They also romanticized the incest. In the book Chris practically rapes Cathy and they both feel awful about it. There's no dreamy pillow talk or casual kissing in the bathroom.

They don't have a romantic relationship till later!

The party dress that Corinne wears is iconic, and so is the swan bed, and they left it out!

The ending is pretty stupid.

I have no idea how they are gonna do Petals, there's so much that goes on, they'd have to do a 2 parter.

I agree, they rushed through some things that were in the book. I'm also one who went through the V.C. Andrews phase in the 7th-8th grades.

I watched this last night! I had never read the book before, but someone told me it was good, so...

Um... er, ok :shifty-kitty:

What got to me most was that they didn't try to escape sooner. I mean, I get they are young and trusted their mother for a long time, but still. That attic did not look hard to escape from. They had rope and everything!

Well, it's supposed to be icky. I mean, how do you not read about incest and rape and abuse and murder, and not feel icky?

Part of me is amazed that we were all allowed to read this stuff. It was like there was an unwritten rule that if you were a girl reading a thick book without pictures, you were just being "bookish" and there was no need to check the content. I've noticed that the YA stuff these days is far tamer with the sex stuff.

I am only a little ashamed of admitting that I am looking forward to the Petals adaptation.

Archived