IGNORED

Abigail Finally Sees Importance of K-5 Ed

GeoBQn

Abigail just commented on Erica Shupe's blog: largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2011/01/scheduling-routines-you-cant-have-your.html

Judging by that all over the place ramble I just read, Abigail needs one of those "tea breaks" she was going on about. *smile*

Holy shit! Abigail is really Taryn. She's punking us!

"God is cool!" *twitch*

Dear god, that reads like Abigail is on speed or something :evil-eye:

Ummm, I know dozens of people who currently work for "NASA." I wonder what they do all day if their organization doesn't exist? Even though the Shuttle Program ended, we are still sending astronauts to space, there are still satellites to launch, etc.

STEM degrees still lead to a wide variety of job opportunities and while nothing is guaranteed, the internship programs are still actively recruiting graduates. In fact, NASA's pathways programs are still highly sought after internships. But then again, the kid is under five years old, I was obsessed with lincoln logs at his age and did not even consider a degree in architecture.

ETA: Wait, this person has a law degree? She has $100k in student loans and is a stay at home mom....wow, just wow.

Why, make stuff like this, of course! Nasa, Johnson Style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sar5WT76k ... Sar5WT76kE

You know, I read that post and I thought, "this sounds toooo much like Abigail to actually be Abigail". But then I went to the link.....could she have been hacked? Or is she just extra manic right now?

I read your comment before I read Abigail's post, and thought, Oh come on guys, it's Abigail. We know how kooky she is. Then I actually read what she wrote. :shock:

What in the... ? If one of the FJers had hacked her account and tried to write the most over the top caricature of her and her manic, self-absorbed, crutch-filled writing style and thought process, they couldn't have done better.

Oh yeah, and Abigail, being "creative" isn't an excuse for being irresponsible and selfish. I've also yet to see you actually "create" anything, let alone something interesting, poignant, or beautiful.

This sounds to me like a child trying to sound smart by using lots of words she has heard grown ups use. I have great sympathy for hervchildren.

No. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Being a teacher is a skill and a talent. It isn't something anyone can do.

By my nature, I'm a secondary school teacher. High School Government, Art, and AP English--easy. My husband could teach college Organic Chemistry while in a headstand. This is the stuff that we talk happily around the table at dinner.

Yeah, and you have taught a secondary school class how many times? It's not about knowing stuff, or anyone could do it. It's about actually dealing with a secondary class, their behaviours and their input to the lesson. Not about what you know, that's the starting point. For you, not for them.

My goal as an educator isn't simply to get a student proficient. My soul is to get that kid on fire!

You have never taught. I taught 150 kids on a weekly basis. I didn't know their souls (though I knew some of them out of class). I knew that I wanted them to get good grades, inasmuch as I could help them. That's it.

"The goal is to get a kid by the fifth grade to be self-confident and self-aware. When a girl knows who she is, what skills she kills at- and what career goals to shoot for--she can set up a path to get an awesome job/college/life by age 18. "

And 9 times out of 10 she will be stacking shelves. Such is life.

What did it say on that link? I'm curious but can't get it to work.

What did it say on that link? I'm curious but can't get it to work.

I'm very Creative. I usually look at schedules and my eyes glaze over. My husband is a working artist. All my kids are artistic. I'm a writer. You can't find a family that is more "free-spirited" and irregular than us.

God is cool! I'm drawn to a very specific prayer life as a Carmelite in the Catholic Church. Each morning, I mediate for 30 minutes. I pray these specific prayers Morning and Evening. Right now I go to church (we call it Mass) on Sundays and Wednesdays. Someday that will be all 7 days a week.

I've found that by being very disciplined in prayer (A Gift from the Holy Spirit because being disciplined is NOT in my nature) all this other stuff falls into place. I'm here in your blog finding lots of great homemaking tips.

My thought is that often as a new mother I tried to find a schedule that fit my kids and my husband.

Now I finding a schedule that works for me--Abigail.

I find that if I centered, calm and happy--then nothing else in my crazy, whirly life sends me of schedule.

I've got a 1 1/2 year old and a 3 year old. I can't control who is going to get up at night with teething or who will have a bad dream. I can't control when my husband has a bad day at work and needs me to drop everything spend some time with him.

I can control ME. I can make sure that I have a good prayer life. I have enough exercise. I can try to make sure that we've got clean underwear and know approximately where the mittens are on cold days.

But life isn't going to be smooth. I think that when I remember to schedule my own Very Important "Tea Breaks" that even when the schedule is "off" or I'm sleepy I don't slide into bitterness.

"Do all things with Love!" But "Make sure that includes loving yourself when you are the Mom."

Who cares how long it is? Does she know G and C are triple bonded? What a ribosome is? Real stuff.

Being behind is only a sign of her teaching skill. Even a genius will stagnate with bad teaching. Singsingsing, I don't homeschool because I'd hate it. Even if my kids would have 1000x better education from me, I won't do it because I'd be miserable.

This is precisely why my son will go to school.

Wow... Just wow.

I guess that she got really, really excited and wanted to say lots of things at the same time. But still...

Gosh.

I have to admit I got to Trinity's comment before Abigail's and I thought it was cray cray enough to be Abigail's. I thought trinity could be a reference to the holy trinity rather than a name. Even after reading Abigail's I think Trinity's was more all over the place and inserted more random info, but Abigail's post had that 'me me me' focus that all her writing has.

By my nature, I'm a secondary school teacher. High School Government, Art, and AP English--easy. My husband could teach college Organic Chemistry while in a headstand. This is the stuff that we talk happily around the table at dinner.

:shit-fan:

Complete bullshit. Why does she think anybody believes they discuss organic chemistry with toddlers at the dinner table?

The fantasy lives these people create for themselves scare me -- and make me petrified for their children. WAKE THE FUCK UP FUNDIES and JOIN US IN THE REAL WORLD!!!!1111! It's not so bad here, really. I made no-bake cookies yesterday, nom nom nom mmmmmmmmm......

I also know a 16 year old who goes to the top ranked high school in the nation. She is technically a genius. She has classmates who are 12 years old and juniors in high school. Like Sheldon Cooper-smart. They are all still expected to know how to read, take notes, and turn assignments in on time. You know, so some day they can actually harness their talents out in the world?

This! You can be the smartest person on the planet and still be stacking shelves at 42 if you've never learned how to read, convey your thoughts to others and work as part of a group. This is really why school is so important- even more so today than in the past. Today's careers require you to communicate and work with others.

Archived