IGNORED

Oscar nomination of "Alone Yet Not Alone"

Olive Plant

Some familiar faces, from the "Alone Yet Not Alone" Facebook page (where, BTW, astute commenters have noted the anomalous Plains Indian costumes...):

970818_532402706807813_1058495067_n.jpg

Who are the other two?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh god, I am glad they were called out on their costuming. For people who love reenacting, those costumes are shameful. Looks like happy hands at home with major pattern company's dress-up patterns. I could probably match them to the pattern too, if I had the inclination. :penguin-no:

Really stupid of them too because even though those companies can't or won't go after them, they are likely breaking copyright.

1233550_544214112293339_149570084_n.jpg

This photo has the following comment:

"How did two gay guys end up in this film? I can't believe the Dobson's would endorse a film with Homosexuals in it! I thought this was supposed to promote our Nation's Christian heritage..."

One of the film's crew members was killed on set, back in October of 2010. It was some sort of vehicle accident, but I can't find many details. Even the original link to the local story doesn't work anymore, I had to use the web archive.

http://web.archive.org/web/201204290452 ... /wb/265855

Obituary:

obits.lehighvalleylive.com/obituaries/etpa/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=146321782

A couple more familiar faces:

1011356_520443808003703_1257426734_n.jpg

I don't want to snark on children, so just let me say, before presenting this example of their acting, that I do it only with sympathy for the position their father the tool has put them in. Don't be confused -- the incredibly offensive crap they were made to say jumps around because they are reactions (scripted and fake, of course) to Potter's lessons about different eras and people.

I can just imagine Doug directing them, waving a riding crop and yelling "Bigger! BIGGER! More spit!" :roll:

http://vimeo.com/46505721

One of my thoughts about the inaccuracy of the costumes in Alone Yet Not Alone, besides their just being too busy playing dress-up and preaching to care, is that accurate costumes for the Native Americans might have been too immodest for them to consider using (history of clothing is not a strong suit of mine, and I've only done a bit of searching, so anyone who knows more, please chime in - I think the story is that they were Lenape people, but disguised themselves as Allegheny at some point).

Can't have legs and collarbones, let alone tushy curves and bosoms, in a Good Christian Calvinist Dominionist movie, now, can we?

I hope someone posts a free version soon. I am in the mood to snark on a bad movie.

Edit: It looks like its going to be in the theaters again in June. I wonder if the rights were sold to an actual production company.

Who are the other two?

The women are Carmen (mom, in the middle) and Lourdes Torres. I'm not sure who the man is.

One of the film's crew members was killed on set, back in October of 2010. It was some sort of vehicle accident, but I can't find many details. Even the original link to the local story doesn't work anymore, I had to use the web archive.

http://web.archive.org/web/201204290452 ... /wb/265855

Obituary:

obits.lehighvalleylive.com/obituaries/etpa/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=146321782

It doesn't sound like the guy who died was involved with Vision Forum. His obituary didn't have the type of wording that I would expect from someone who followed Doug Phillips and Christian Reconstructionism. He was responsible for making the dug outs and leather work. I wonder what happened.

If you do a search for Hero's real name in the google images, a female weight lifter of the same name comes up. I realize that she isn't Vision Forum's Hero but wouldn't it have been wonderful if she became an empowered female bodybuilder?

I couldn't find any info on results from the investigation. I assume that if it was a Twilight Zone Movie situation where the director or production company was held responsible, it would have been in the news at some point.

Some familiar faces, from the "Alone Yet Not Alone" Facebook page (where, BTW, astute commenters have noted the anomalous Plains Indian costumes...):

970818_532402706807813_1058495067_n.jpg

Oh god, they even painted her face red. And isn't the man Andrew Torres?

spin.com/articles/alone-yet-not-alone-oscar-2014-best-song-nominee-wtf/

Ignore the article and pay attention to the comments.Apparently, this particular song has some major love from crazy people

Dale Knutson1 day ago

Thank you for writing an affirming article on subject that brings discomfort. As with many movies there is tension between good and evil. Evil may come in many forms, but probably the most insidious is self righteousness. That is thinking oneself more righteous than he truly is. Righteousness only come from the one who put us right with God. May those who have a sense of gratitude to God for the good things he gives be gracious in reviewing a persons place in society. Venom brings poison. Grace brings healing

Fairhopeman2 days ago

What a lame article. Is it the song you despise or is it your need of Christ to be saved. I know friend it's hard to admit you are nothing but a cad sinner like the rest of us. John 3:16 is really your best option. Pride always goes before a fall.

Jim Bible3 days ago

In answer to the question! it's what we use to fight your Devil worshiping friends ad family!

What you don't like this song or think that it deserves an award? You must be a devil worshipping, self righteous, nonChristian. :roll:

Oh god, they even painted her face red. And isn't the man Andrew Torres?

I wondered if I was seeing the photo correctly because it looked to me like her face had some sort of artificial color on it.

Don't dare to disagree even mildly with a fundie or that "Christian" love goes out the window and they put you on blast. Happened to me in person this week. :mouse-shock: :penguin-no:

Don't dare to disagree even mildly with a fundie or that "Christian" love goes out the window and they put you on blast. Happened to me in person this week. :mouse-shock: :penguin-no:

Ooooh, do tell!

I've just come across this through Libbie Anne's blog. The film looks dreadful--it makes the 1950s westerns look sensitive. As for the song, it's alright but there are way better songs around--even way better hymns.

I studied captivity narratives at one point and they're quite interesting and could provide good movie material, provided it's handled sensitively, which obviously not the case with this film.

I don't see how this has been nominated without bribing being at stake, since the film is so obscure, there aren't even any reviews, good or bad, on Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB!

The rhyme scheme in that song is a little off, especially in the first verse.

German is only my third language, but even with my limited understanding, the German version sounds much better.

I wondered if I was seeing the photo correctly because it looked to me like her face had some sort of artificial color on it.

I wonder if she was given contacts to wear. Nothing says native american like blue eyes.

Word is spreading:

patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2014/01/oscar-nominated-alone-but-not-alone-a-product-of-the-doug-phillips-michael-farris-empire.html

As I am wont to say, sunshine is the best disinfectant!!

Were my eyes deceiving me, or did I see one 'Brant Harris', aka Brantley Harris Disharoon (aka the teenager whose charges for sexually abusing younger boys got kind of swept under the carpet), in the cast list?

Now that I've heard the song, I kind of like it. Not the best song ever, but pretty good. And, now that I've thought about it, I do like that some barely-grossing movie could get this honor. I do get tired of the attitude that known musicians deserve more because of their success. Some of the articles were a little too "who the hell is SHE to get a nomination while singers who MATTER sang these songs over here" (despite the fact that Tada is not the one up for the award.) And the connection that makes this suspicious, meh. I think the entire institution is fraught with favoritism. In all, I'd like this story and this underdog, if only it didn't have a connection to his Toolishness, Doug. Gah.

edited: riffles

As I read through some of the online surprise at the nomination of this song, I realize that many people are not aware of the film's ties to Christian Reconstructionism. Please, if you see an article about this movie, leave a post explaining the connection. This might be a wonderful opportunity to explain to people why this form of Christian extremism is dangerous and should not be considered 'normal' Christianity.

Archived