IGNORED

Older daughters living at home-Maxwells

kpmom

Any of the unmarried girls left behind would have to be under the headship of the male siblings. They have been isolated to such a degree, how on earth could they ever integrate, even a tiny bit, into society? Cleaning houses is out, they'd have to possibly go into a unbeliver's home, and we know that is a huge no no. Working retail, bookeeping, any of these totally goes against not only what they have been taught, but what they have experienced. Maybe the shock of the world would be too much. He has painted all of his kids into a corner, but for the girls, it has been even more damaging, because he has kept them from having even basic survival skills. If one of them has a house, and he can't even live in it, then flipping houses, or buying a smaller place and renting out the main house is out of the question. Venturing out of the realm of super conservative Christianity and interacting with people who do not think like them will never fly. They will have to keep the family business going. Chore packs for everybody!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4. Mary is taking art classes. Great.

Good grief! How did I miss THIS??? Where? At the old folks home?? Does she have to take her mother with her? :pink-shock:

Good grief! How did I miss THIS??? Where? At the old folks home?? Does she have to take her mother with her? :pink-shock:

I think that she is taught by a family friend. No need to leave the house.

I'd bet that Mary's art classes are online or from a book. Either way she would not have to interact with non like minded people. And the online instructor would probably have to be female so as not to defraud Mary.

I have some questions for Steve about accountability. When Sarah is left alone in that big house after Steve and Teri are gone, does she suddenly and miraculously lose the need for accountability? I can some type of reciprocal accountability for two or three sisters left in the house, but sadly, I think it will be Sarah, alone. Will she need to report for every minute to a brother?

Also, since none of the "children" can be alone now, how does marriage confer trustworthiness on a person? Not only is the newly married couple away from both sets of parents for the first time, but each person will most likely be completely alone after returning from the honeymoon. The husband will be out supporting them with his own business and the wife is left at home, alone. Then it's okay? But an unmarried daughter cannot be alone, she needs accountability. How does that work?

Didn't Nathan work in the real world at some point? Doing something with computers?

According to his Linkedin profile it appears he did work for two non Maxwell companies back in the 90's. Didn't someone here say they knew a female who worked with him at one one these companies and she said he was a very self righteous jerk?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/nathan-maxwell/13/8a5/312

I bet Steve was in a hurry to get this article out. Sarah turns 32 in a couple days (on 1/19). Got to keep her as young as possible for as long as possible.... :nenner:

Is "accountability" only in regards of sex? Does Steve figure his daughters will be 40+ when he kicks the bucket and thus to old for any marriage possibilities? Is his goal to deliver his "children" as unkissed virgins on their wedding day? Once they are "too old", who cares??? :think:

Maybe they could run a boarding house and rent rooms to other former sahd's and provide meals and cleaning. Or maybe the nursing home will take pity on them and let them work as janitorial staff. Kitchen and custodial services in public schools and universities pay above minimum wage and offer benefits where I live. I know many former sahms who have secured those jobs, as well as positions as teacher's aides, after 18-20 years out of the workforce. Of course, since these are ebil public schools, the Maxwell sisters wouldn't want to apply.

I would imagine that they could live in the Maxwell compound for many years for very very cheap. They would not have to pay rent or a mortgage. I imagine that their electric bill is very small. Because they make a lot of things from scratch I don't think they spend a lot on food and judging from what they wear they can't spend a lot on clothes. I would think that they would not have to have a very "good" job to support themselves after their parents die.

If Steve has a pretty decent life insurance policy I think the girls or just Sarah would be okay. The house is paid for so no rent or mortgage. They would only have utilities, taxes, food, and car expenses. They could share a small car and sell Uriah and the other vehicles. They could even sell the house and buy a smaller one for less money. They don't spend much on clothing and can make their skirts or buy things on sale and second hand. They don't have cable TV service or newspaper. They could even get rid of their cell phones and just have a land line. Less temptation to go online alone that way, and since they go nowhere alone, they don't need phones to communicate with each other.

The girls will probably take over at least some of the family business; sales will go down without the tours they do, but there are always young families who will hear about Maxwell products from friends and want the chore packs and books.

I can't see any of them going out to get even an entry level job at a fast food place. That would mean being defrauded on a daily basis. I think another fundie family might hire them to do child care, house cleaning, office work, etc. Their brothers might also hire them to work in their businesses. At least the Maxwell girls have brothers. What will the seven sisters do? And all the former SAHDs who are left alone with a bunch of kids when their husbands die or leave them. Sarah, Anna, and Mary will be far better off than many in their isolated world.

According to his Linkedin profile it appears he did work for two non Maxwell companies back in the 90's. Didn't someone here say they knew a female who worked with him at one one these companies and she said he was a very self righteous jerk?

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/nathan-maxwell/13/8a5/312

Good find, jeansonly!

I see he worked for Wilcox Electric back in the 90's. Didn't Steve also work for them? Was that the company Steve had his issues with?

In addition to a 401k, the Maxwells also might have an IRA for Teri. A non-working spouse can open one (or in Teri's case, pray that Lord would lay it on Steve's heart to open one for her).

1) Something along the lines of being a house-cleaner. Doesn't require a job resume, but does not pay very well (and not an easy job once they get older)..

My cleaning woman gets $30 an hour. Not bad at all.

I bet Steve was in a hurry to get this article out. Sarah turns 32 in a couple days (on 1/19). Got to keep her as young as possible for as long as possible.... :nenner:

Is "accountability" only in regards of sex? Does Steve figure his daughters will be 40+ when he kicks the bucket and thus to old for any marriage possibilities? Is his goal to deliver his "children" as unkissed virgins on their wedding day? Once they are "too old", who cares??? :think:

I sometimes think that Steve reads the bible passage that says that it's best to stay single, but that if you burn with lust it's better to marry (paraphrased, obviously) and figures that Sarah is too innocent to "burn with lust" so she should stay single.

"They can't imagine living anywhere else."

Well no shit. They've had every independent idea or impulse beaten, brainwashed and scheduled out of them. Any dangerous lyrics or sentences that might hint at anything else was promptly whited out.

One of my older daughter's friends is heading to Scotland this fall to live with distant relatives. No definite plans, just going to have an adventure and see what happens. My daughter is practically drooling at the thought. I'm like, don't lose contact with that friend, you could have a contact to go stay with in Scotland! PLEASE go live abroad so I can say "Oh dear me, I HAVE to go to Scotland to visit my daughter." :D

I swear, I am the biggest homebody hermit on the freaking planet but my life is non-stop excitement compared to the Maxwell girls. My Pinterest account would do them in, they'd need smelling salts.

Maybe they could run a boarding house and rent rooms to other former sahd's and provide meals and cleaning. Or maybe the nursing home will take pity on them and let them work as janitorial staff. Kitchen and custodial services in public schools and universities pay above minimum wage and offer benefits where I live. I know many former sahms who have secured those jobs, as well as positions as teacher's aides, after 18-20 years out of the workforce. Of course, since these are ebil public schools, the Maxwell sisters wouldn't want to apply.

A Fundie Convent! :lol:

If Steve has a pretty decent life insurance policy I think the girls or just Sarah would be okay. The house is paid for so no rent or mortgage. They would only have utilities, taxes, food, and car expenses. They could share a small car and sell Uriah and the other vehicles. They could even sell the house and buy a smaller one for less money. They don't spend much on clothing and can make their skirts or buy things on sale and second hand. They don't have cable TV service or newspaper. They could even get rid of their cell phones and just have a land line. Less temptation to go online alone that way, and since they go nowhere alone, they don't need phones to communicate with each other.

The girls will probably take over at least some of the family business; sales will go down without the tours they do, but there are always young families who will hear about Maxwell products from friends and want the chore packs and books.

I can't see any of them going out to get even an entry level job at a fast food place. That would mean being defrauded on a daily basis. I think another fundie family might hire them to do child care, house cleaning, office work, etc. Their brothers might also hire them to work in their businesses. At least the Maxwell girls have brothers. What will the seven sisters do? And all the former SAHDs who are left alone with a bunch of kids when their husbands die or leave them. Sarah, Anna, and Mary will be far better off than many in their isolated world.

But what will they do about medical care? Health insurance is EXPENSIVE. Despite what the conservative media wants people to believe, Obamacare does NOT equal free health care. Maybe the Maxwells should start praying that our next president will be someone who can make universal health care a reality!

But what will they do about medical care? Health insurance is EXPENSIVE. Despite what the conservative media wants people to believe, Obamacare does NOT equal free health care. Maybe the Maxwells should start praying that our next president will be someone who can make universal health care a reality!

Are the Maxwells into alternative medicine/faith healing/quackery like some of the other fundies? Avoiding healthcare will certainly keep costs down, even if you end up dying, and the Maxwells are so death obsessed anyway that they might hardly know the difference between being dead versus being alive.

My cleaning woman gets $30 an hour. Not bad at all.

If she works directly for you, she gets that, pre tax and self employment tax. If she works for a service, she probably makes minimum.

And the fines for not having health insurance increase with time... Eventually it will be cheaper to have it than not.

If nothing terrible happens to them, the maxwells could theoretically not need it, or at the very least do without it for a few years till they can get financially stable.

They're signed up to Scamaritan which, for the purposes of this exercise(but no other), equals 'health insurance' so they don't pay any fine. I think at this point the Maxwells would have enough publicity to garner some financial support if they had a medical bill, but by the time Sarah is 50ish? Who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if the Maxwells would put up with a lot before seeking medical care anyway. If Teri can't have Pepsi or antidepressants to help lift her mood, I'm pretty sure she came have painkillers for her back either. It's all suffering for the lord, because life is a vale of tears and all that

I don't foresee any unmarried Maxwell daughters entering the workforce. Ever. There's no way that would be acceptable by their family's standards. I think the most likely thing to happen would be any remaining unmarried daughters (once steve and terri are gone or unable to support the family) each moving in with a brother.

What I would LIKE to see happen: Say Joseph (the one who owns a house but doesn't live there?) is still unmarried when steve and terri die. What if he finally moved into his house and let any unmarried siblings move in too? They could all RELAX a little and live unsupervised for once. They do seem to enjoy each other's company, so I think they would enjoy a living situation like that. It wouldn't be outside of their comfort zone, because they could still uphold the Maxwellian standards they wanted to keep. Over time, though, things could get more lax.

If she works directly for you, she gets that, pre tax and self employment tax. If she works for a service, she probably makes minimum.

Who knows if she even claims it. I leave cash on the table. What she does with it is none of my business. I know all about the self employment tax. I pay it through the wazoo. That still doesn't change that I disagree with "but does not pay very well" because a house cleaner can pay very well if they have enough accounts.

They're signed up to Scamaritan which, for the purposes of this exercise(but no other), equals 'health insurance' so they don't pay any fine. I think at this point the Maxwells would have enough publicity to garner some financial support if they had a medical bill, but by the time Sarah is 50ish? Who knows. I wouldn't be surprised if the Maxwells would put up with a lot before seeking medical care anyway. If Teri can't have Pepsi or antidepressants to help lift her mood, I'm pretty sure she came have painkillers for her back either. It's all suffering for the lord, because life is a vale of tears and all that

Do policies like Samaritan count as real health insurance under Obamacare? Not only are you required to have health insurance, the policy has to meet certain standards. From what I've heard of Samaritan, they didn't count as "real" health insurance even before Obamacare came to pass.

I don't foresee any unmarried Maxwell daughters entering the workforce. Ever. There's no way that would be acceptable by their family's standards. I think the most likely thing to happen would be any remaining unmarried daughters (once steve and terri are gone or unable to support the family) each moving in with a brother.

I think u r right that they would probably move in w/ a brother. Cause they may not know what else to do.

Archived