IGNORED

Tony Perkins has it in for the Girl Scouts

Check pout the audio of this raving madman.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/01/14 ... rl-scouts/

Tony Perkins, the president of the Family Research Council, really hates girls. More specifically, he hates the Girl Scouts, but the effect is pretty much the same. His misogynistic comments about girls and women are downright disgusting. But what else can we expect from the head of an organization that wants nothing more than to keep women barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen?

Tony Perkins has it in for the Girl Scouts.

The FRC president has always been nasty towards the Girl Scouts. Whether he’s calling for prayers against them because the group is full of “radicals†who are “out to get our kids†or demanding a boycott because he thinks money from the cookies go towards Planned Parenthood, Perkins’ vindictiveness knows no bounds. If he’s not twisting words to fit his agenda, he’s making stuff up. Anything to make the organization look bad for his pseudo-Christian audience. And they’re dumb enough to believe all of it.

The latest rant.

Last Friday, on a segment of the radio show, Washington Watch, Perkins — along with colleague Cathy Ruse — was at it again. This time his diatribe was set off by the Girl Scout organization sending out a tweet about an article at HuffPo. The article was entitled, “These Incredible Ladies Should Be Women Of The Year For 2013.†The piece included a video of a HuffPo panel discussion in which Wendy Davis, Beyoncé Knowles and Malala Yousafzai were all mentioned as picks for woman of the year.

Naturally, the mere mention of Wendy Davis made Perkins and Ruse lose what little grip they have. They attacked the Girl Scouts for recommending the HuffPo article in the first place and again for sending out a tweet about it. Because, god knows, girls should never be shown a strong woman as a role model. Since they were already on a roll, Perkins and Ruse (now, there’s an appropriate name) decided to just unload. As with any dump, this one reeks.

There are times where the religious right really disgusts me, and well, actually that's pretty much all of the time, but this in particular makes me angry. And what's sad is how many people there are that are going to agree with this a-hole. :evil:

Not even gonna mind my words. I was a Brownie and Girl scout. My mother was den mother. All of our outings were fun. So was the cookie selling. Not once was anything of sexual or religious nature taught. Those are some of my fondest moments as a child. Tony Perkins is a crazy ass, misogynistic, hateful excuse of a man. Fuck you Tony Perkins....just fuck you.

Now all of sudden craving for shortbreads and thin mints.

Clearly, we don't see what Tony Perkins sees, which is educating girls is bad. While he's not yet to the point of burning down the girls' schools with the girls still in it, or tossing acid on their faces when they go out in public in a girl scout tee shirt, he is doing the middle class American equivalent--which is castigating them and redefining them until they become enemies to his followers.

And, once he convinces enough of his followers that there is no difference between Planned parenthood aka "abortion mill" and a girl scout meeting, it won't be long before some nutjob like Eric Rudolph or Scott Roeder or Shelley Shannon to start in on Girl Scout Leaders.

Can I send some money to a U.S. FJ'er for girl scout cookies?

You can eat them yourself or if you can somehow get them to this Perkins guy :music-tool: that would be fine with me as well....

I was a Girl Scout for ten years (I earned the Gold Award, the Girl Scout equivalent of Eagle Scout), all the way through high school, and was an assistant leader for about five years. I've never seen any of this radicalism or "Marxism" that these conservatives were ranting about, unless they're just offended by the idea of girls meeting by themselves to learn new skills and become independent. I guess for the Tony Perkins of the world that's subversive enough.

Has anybody seen the film "The Pacifier"? There is a segment in which the Navy Seal babysitter teaches the youngest daughter and her Girl Scout like group self defense. They, while selling cookies in front of the grocery story, then use it to defend themselves against a Boy Scout like group.

I'm not advocating violence, but the looks of smug confidence on those little girls faces as the boys start teasing them is priceless. What I would love to see is a 1000 little girls all standing outside of FRC headquarters giving them that look.

He just needs something to rant about to keep his followers listening to him.

Both of my girls have been in girl scouts, and my youngest is still in a troop. I find girl scouts to have good values - they teach how to help others (food drives, clothing drives, etc), how to be respectful of people who are different from them, exposure to different cultures, necessary skills (first aid, swimming), etc. Our girl scout council has a few camps, and they will give scholarships to summer camps for those who can't afford them, so that everyone in the council has the opportunity to attend. I think that they are role-modeling good morals and behaviors. If the FRC showed these kinds of values, then maybe it could do some good in the world, instead of just worrying about the status of our uterus.

I have a close friend whose children were in scouts -- daughter was a girl scout and sons in boy scouts. She said that the Girl Scouts were head and shoulders above the boy scouts when it came to leadership, organization, and financial stability (those girl scout cookies are golden). To my knowledge, there have been no incidents of pedophelia in the girl scouts. According to their web site ...."Girl Scouting helps girls develop their full individual potential; relate to others with increasing understanding, skill, and respect; develop values to guide their actions and provide the foundation for sound decision-making; and contribute to the improvement of society through their abilities, leadership skills, and cooperation with others."

Given that, it's no wonder that Tony is against it. Gasp -- women who think for themselves and make decisions independent of men.

Has anybody seen the film "The Pacifier"? There is a segment in which the Navy Seal babysitter teaches the youngest daughter and her Girl Scout like group self defense. They, while selling cookies in front of the grocery story, then use it to defend themselves against a Boy Scout like group.

I'm not advocating violence, but the looks of smug confidence on those little girls faces as the boys start teasing them is priceless. What I would love to see is a 1000 little girls all standing outside of FRC headquarters giving them that look.

I loved that scene :lol: Go girlscouts!

Not even gonna mind my words. I was a Brownie and Girl scout. My mother was den mother. All of our outings were fun. So was the cookie selling. Not once was anything of sexual or religious nature taught. Those are some of my fondest moments as a child. Tony Perkins is a crazy ass, misogynistic, hateful excuse of a man. Fuck you Tony Perkins....just fuck you.

This. All of this. I could have written it.

I know nutcase right-wing fundie Catholics who refuse to buy Girl Scout cookies and think it is appropriate to give anti-abortion lectures to Brownies selling them at the table at their local grocery store. When I pointed out that those are children aged 6-8, one of them responded "so?". :angry-banghead:

They're available starting today :D

We've already sold a dozen boxes. I'm tempted to buy the rest of my daughter's allotment for us to eat!

I am also a former Brownie and Girl Scout. I still hold the record in my area for cookie sales (I had red hair and freckles and a little red wagon) and as others have stated, these were some of the best times of my life. I learned some usefull skills and it helped develop my self esteem. I would say this is the main reason tony perkins dislikes them. Any organization that remotely empowers women is evil and must be destroyed.

Fuck You tony perkins. I shall pray that one day you will get feeling inadequate!

I bet he secretly buys girl scout cookies and enjoys eating them.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if he was outed as a Girl Scout Cookie fan?

I was in Scouts, my mother was a Scout Leader. We never had discussions about abortion, birth control, feminism etc. We did baking, learned about nutrition and excerise, adopt grandparents, arts and crafts, go to local museums to learn about history, volunteer projects like planting flowers in the church yard where we had our meetings, pick up litter, put flags on veterans graves etc. We also had fun outings too like a dinner play, overnight lock ins, weiner roasts and hayrack rides. So I don't know where all this feminism comes from. We also had scout camp where we did arts and crafts, outdoor activites like hiking, and Olympics.

Another former Girl Scout here, started in Brownies and ended as a Junior. My mom was also one of the leaders, and I still have fond memories of those years. My brother and SIL are talking about putting my niece in Girl Scouts, either now as a Daisy, or next year when she would be a Brownie. The nice thing is that if she joins, I'll be able to order those cookies by the caseload instead of waiting until they show up outside grocery stores with their tables.

I'm not surprised fundies and patriarchal organizations hate the Girl Scouts since it teaches girls how to be independent, and that there are more options in life besides being a SAHM. I follow the Girl Scouts organization on Facebook, and it seems like every day there's at least one troll mentioning their "involvement" with Planned Parenthood.

Leader checking in here. And if he's mad, I'm doing my job. That is, to create strong girls who will in turn become stronger women. I currently lead Cadettes (11-14 year olds). I've known them all as a Girl Scout leader since they were 6. I'm proud of the young woman every single one of them has become - to the point that they can move me to tears sometimes by how confident and great they've become. They recently got together (on their own) to petition their middle school for a "you're awesome" bulletin board where all kids could write something positive and put it up. I'd much rather they did that than hate anyone.

The only thing that worries me is that we have a few Fundie light kids in our troop. Kids who are homeschooled for religious reasons. I hope this idiot doesn't mean I lose those girls. They're awesome kids who I would hate to see pulled away from fun because of some crazy dude.

Can I send some money to a U.S. FJ'er for girl scout cookies?

You can eat them yourself or if you can somehow get them to this Perkins guy :music-tool: that would be fine with me as well....

OMG! I love this idea!! Since my little one has a HUGE cookie sale goal this year (and I know I'm going to be buying ltos) I may just be sending the ones I don't want to him!! LOL! I wonder if I can just send them to FRC headquarters?

Archived