IGNORED

Zach & Whitney Bates Wedding - Part 2

happy atheist

They have ready taken pregnancy tests and are disappointed when they are negative? They have the rest of their marriages to breed, why can't they just enjoy the honeymoon period.

That isn't "thankfully receiving the children God sends you", it's frantically pursuing a baby as a symbol of devotion and adulthood.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They have ready taken pregnancy tests and are disappointed when they are negative? They have the rest of their marriages to breed, why can't they just enjoy the honeymoon period.

That isn't "thankfully receiving the children God sends you", it's frantically pursuing a baby as a symbol of devotion and adulthood.

The child collecting has been beaten into their heads so much that this is all they know. Children are a blessing from God and if for some reason they don't get pregnant than God isn't blessing them and it must be something they did to displease God.

I know we had hope for these two to NOT be ATI but let's face it, they wont be. If they are already taking pregnancy tests ( and telling their parents ugh....), she quit work, will homeschool, blah blah blah they will be ATI. Whitney is only 20, from a Quiverfull family and who really knows where her "degree" is from. I think these fundies have such an idealized version of life and marriage because they have never been allowed to experience any part of real life. It would be wonderful if Zach pursued a real career and they waited to have children but they wont. It has been brainwashed into them.

What is with these people and their obsession with getting pregnant right away? I get wanting a baby and being excited about the prospect, but holy crap, enjoy being married for a while first! They've been married for ONE MONTH. There was like a week in there max that she could have gotten pregnant. I hope they know that it can't just happen anytime? Can't believe she's already taking pregnancy tests (well I can believe it, but it's still silly). Just enjoy being newly married, and if you happen to miss your period, THEN bother with the test.

I truly had high hopes for Zach and Whit, especially with Whit coming from a fairly mainstream Christian family. Either she's still in the honeymoon phase and just wanting to do these things to please her in-laws or she's truly been drinking the kook-aid and is converting into the traditional fundie wife. I'm leaning towards the second one, especially after reading that she's been taking pregnancy tests a MONTH after getting married.

That is so disappointing to hear that they're doing pregnancy tests already. It's so sad to think she's falling for the ATI garbage.

I don't see it so much as her trying to fit in with ATI, more like her being 'soooo in love!!!' and 'soooo excited about having a cute little baby!!!' You know, kind of like those 16-year-old girls who think it would be sooooo fun and adorable to have a BABY! I just wish they would calm down and wait. Even if they don't want to use birth control and are convinced they would just looooove to have 20 kids, just relax. Don't they realize this is the only time they're going to have to just enjoy being with each other before they start having kids? What's the rush? It's not like she's 38 and the clock is ticking.

I find it a bit squicky that the conversation about pregnancy tests has even happened! Even if my inlaws knew we were trying, they wouldn't be asking if I'd done tests each month. Ew!

Some more interesting comments from the last Bates family (the big one!) blog post:

- a full description of the pranks:

"The first prank was they wrote “Help me†on the bottom of Zach’s shoes, but he discovered that and erased it off! Next, they put powder on the kneeling bench, so that when they stood it would show on Zach’s pants. That prank ended in a sweet, touching moment because Whitney dropped to her knees trying to brush off his pants in a loving gesture. It made everyone realize her compassion and thoughtfulness, and you could hear the “Awww’s†running throughout the sanctuary. Next, the best man acted like he couldn’t find the ring, then he pulled out a ring pop, ripped the paper off and handed it over. Then he dropped to his knees in a gesture of praying for the real ring to show up, as a tiny ornament lowered from the ceiling into his hand. The piano played “The Hallelujah Chorus†as the ring was removed from the ornament."

(I'd be so pissed off if I was the groom and someone tried to stain my pants! I'm sure Whitney didn't think it was as cute having to clean off Zach's pants when she should have been enjoying the ceremony and not worrying about little details like that)

- in response to a question about Whitney homeschooling:

"She’s excited about homeschooling one day"

- and of course, if you didn't hear from the other post that it's confirmed that Alyssa is engaged:

"Actually, she just got engaged! I’m waiting on pics to do a post, just as soon as I finish Zach and Whitney’s wedding!"

The only way the pranks would be acceptable is if both Whitney and Zach were asked beforehand if they wanted pranks and it was also known that no one's feelings would be hurt if they said they didn't wan the pranks so there was no pressure to say yes.

At this point they really have to act like they liked the pranks even if they didn't because the alternative is implying the Duggars ruined their wedding.

Hearing about "pranks" like that make me so thankful that my children and their friends aren't the kind to have to show off and "prank" trying to mess up someone else's ceremony. Do they have no concept of being in the house of God? They're the ones preaching to the heathens and then think that is OK?

I hate the pranks. I know it's a somewhat cultural/individual preference thing, but I think it's disrespectful to the people and to the importance of what's happening in the ceremony. I'm glad Zach erased the 'help me' on his shoe, that Whitney brushed the powder off him, and that they arranged a secret getaway car. They do seem to genuinely love and value one another. At least they got away on their own honeymoon without any goofy Duggars to come and ruin things for them.

Hearing about "pranks" like that make me so thankful that my children and their friends aren't the kind to have to show off and "prank" trying to mess up someone else's ceremony. Do they have no concept of being in the house of God? They're the ones preaching to the heathens and then think that is OK?

The Duggars have speshul snowflake status so it's okay.

:super special:

I could be wrong but I get the feeling that Zach and Witney didn't really want the pranks but they either didn't know how to make it clear that such behavior wasn't acceptable at their wedding or they knew that no matter what they said the Duggars would do whatever the fuck they wanted to do because that is how the Duggars act.

I definitely think the Bates are more fashionable than the Duggars, which is funny if you remember how the Bates were introduced on the show. The Bates were all in their prairie dresses and the Duggar girls were acting all snooty and better than them. The tables have turned.

Thanks to Gothard appointing Gil to his board of directors which now makes the Bateses ATI royalty. I am absolutely convinced that Gothard played matchmaker to 3 of the 4 couples (excluding Zach and Whitney).

TMI, Kelly! Why don't you just post pics of pee sticks. So much for being modest.

The only way the pranks would be acceptable is if both Whitney and Zach were asked beforehand if they wanted pranks and it was also known that no one's feelings would be hurt if they said they didn't wan the pranks so there was no pressure to say yes.

At this point they really have to act like they liked the pranks even if they didn't because the alternative is implying the Duggars ruined their wedding.

No. Pranks in a church are very much rude, disrespectful, and offensive to the wedding party and guests. Implying the Duggars ruined their wedding is a bad thing how? They deserve to be calls out on their bullshit.

If they keep playing pranks at weddings, I wouldn't be surprised if people stopped inviting them.

I blame JimBob, hes such a douche and loves playing stupid pranks like these, and has passed that onto his kids. Remember the episode where one of the boys borrowed Jenny's doll, wrapped it in a baby blanket, and pretended it was newborn Jordyn or Josie, then dropped it in front of the cameraman. Or the one where they were mean to Amy because of her fear of clowns. Also the way they have acted at pretty much every wedding they have been to. I think if I knew them and was getting married, I wouldn't invite them.

I like that Kelly is "styled" on those special days. Unlike Mullet who just looks awkward and wears the same blue blouse every.single.time.

I guess it's Kelly's girls' influence, but she's really beautiful. Could be that she's genuinely happy about her children marrying, instead of being afraid her future DIL will bear more babies... :x

Btw, I can't get over the fact how awfully fitted those bridesmaid dresses are. Please, Michael, learn how to fit them or use another pattern or ask your siblings to give you a break, but this is NOT good. I know you could do better if you were allowed to be a bit more creative. :cry:

According to Gothard, it's their job to raise their kids to get married and get to havin' babies right away to build a big army for jesus. Of course they're happy that their kids are getting married. They're gonna go make more babies for jesus!

Seriously. This is what they've raised their kids for. Not to go out, start careers, explore the world, build a life. Live in smalltown, nowhere, and have a ton of kids.

I don't get the sense that Michelle is angry or jealous that her daughter in law is having children and she isn't, and I think she'll be happy when her daughters start having kids too. I think I've said this before, but grandchildren = more babies, even if they're not (the ideal) hers. She still gets to claim them as 'her' grandbabies. The natural extension of priding oneself on having 19 children is priding oneself on having 300 grandchildren.

No. Pranks in a church are very much rude, disrespectful, and offensive to the wedding party and guests. Implying the Duggars ruined their wedding is a bad thing how? They deserve to be calls out on their bullshit.

There are some churches where having pranks happen is not considered rude. Not my cup of tea but I have a relative who goes to a very casual church where they have pranked the pastor or the music director during the service and nobody is offended. But I don't think anyone would pull pranks at a wedding unless the bride and groom approved it.

I personally think there is nothing wrong with calling out the Duggars, but in Zach and Whitney are not in a position where they would be comfortable saying that they think the Duggars ruined their wedding. It isn't like they are going to feel like they could go sit down with them and explain how they felt about the pranks. I also don't think that they would say on their blog that they didn't like the pranks because of all the hard feelings it would create.

Kelly says in the comments that Zach and Whitney have known each other for about 2 years. Isn't that right about the time his courtship with Sarah ended? I thought they met much more recently, 2 years is pretty long for these types and she was working and going to school the whole time.

Archived