IGNORED

Cliches Christians Need to Stop Saying

Mela99

My personal pet peeve is "there but for the grace of God go I". Gee, I'm glad God likes me better than all those unfortunate people.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My personal pet peeve is "there but for the grace of God go I". Gee, I'm glad God likes me better than all those unfortunate people.

I never though about it that way before. For me it's a way of checking myself; I'm being judge mental at the moment, but I need to realize that this could have been me. I never thought it was because god liked me better, just that I was no different from anyone else.

A lot of other people possibly could mean it that way, though.

I never though about it that way before. For me it's a way of checking myself; I'm being judge mental at the moment, but I need to realize that this could have been me. I never thought it was because god liked me better, just that I was no different from anyone else.

A lot of other people possibly could mean it that way, though.

Exactly. I've never thought of that phrase as meaning God has favored me, but as what Trynn says, that there is no good reason that I am more fortunate and it could change quickly.

I would say "bless your heart", but I can't stop saying it. I get a kick out of people thinking I'm being sympathetic when I'm actually being bitchy. The kinder it sounds, the more bitchy it's meant.

I've always hated that one. My brother in law posted a Facebook meme a while back that said something to the effect of "if we allow kids to read the bible in school, we wouldn't need to hand them out in prison later". I commented that if the only reason his kids stay out of prison is because of a book, he should probably reevaluate his parenting. Talk about a shitstorm of epic proportions. He still won't speak to me, and his girls aren't allowed to hang out with mine. Which is ok with me, because their behavior is atrocious. Ironically enough, the whole family always talks about what good influences my girls are on their cousins.

Christians have got to be some raging sociopaths if the fear of a spanking from their mystical sky pilot is the only thing stoping them from murder and mayhem. Funny how I'm no longer a believer, but I manage not to rape and pillage. I hope none of them stop believing in god, or we'll all be in danger.

+1(00000)

Say it is also very insulting to all these countries predominantly atheist and who have a much lower crime rate than the U.S. crime rate.

Another very annoying thing: "all dictatorships were atheists, Hitler was an atheist, Mao was an atheist, atheists are the assassins of freedom." Yes, yes...

Archived