IGNORED

Documentary on Lev Tahor (Jewish Taliban)

mystikchick17

Rumors have it that more families, including Hellbrans, are migrating to Guatemala. The article seems a bit hyperbolic to me, but the locals seem at least befuddled by their presence.

I wonder why they chose Guatemala. There's another extreme group (Toiras Jesed/Torat Chesed) there, but no real Jewish community. I can't fathom how they'll support themselves; are they assuming donations will totally fund the lower cost of living?

The children are going to be so much more isolated now, and it's going to be so much harder for any of these poor cult members to leave as they're so remote from a support network and don't speak the local languages.

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.h ... and-quebec

The bolded part is the main attraction. They don't want to be around an established Jewish community, because that is who is saying that they are a cult. They want isolation, and a country that won't immediately pick up on Helbrans past criminal conviction or work too closely with child protection officials in Canada. In their minds, a 3rd world country won't have the same child protection laws and standards.

I want to say, "why did they choose to set up Jonestown in Guyana?", and the fact that this is the first thing that popped into my mind scares me. They are being led by a crazy man who wants to drop off the radar and beyond the reach of the law.

Yeah. I was more wondering why that particular country.

There's a part of me that thinks Canada really fucked up here, but on the other hand I don't know Canadian law well enough to judge.

Yeah. I was more wondering why that particular country.

There's a part of me that thinks Canada really fucked up here, but on the other hand I don't know Canadian law well enough to judge.

I don't think it matters what the Canadian laws say- Canada really fucked up here. Either their laws weren't robust enough to handle this type of situation OR they failed to enforce those laws. Either way Canada failed to protect those children.

• 2 months later...

Over the past few months, all but a few families migrated to Guatemala. Of those that stayed, most or all are still in trouble with the Canadian authorities. These families also disappeared this week and their location is unknown.

Information about the situation in Guatemala is a bit muddled, because reporters seem to be confusing Lev Tahor with another cult, Torat Jesed (Toiras Chessed). Lev Tahor settled in Panajachel, while Torat Jesed has been in San Juan La Laguna for six years. They may have merged.

The cult is now being expelled from the town in which they're living, San Juan La Laguna. Cult members have allegedly been harassing tourists (on whom the local economy depends) and not treating town residents respectfully. Their customs, such as men using the lake as a mikvah (ie bathing naked) and the clothing of both men and women, are seen as strange by the town residents. They also allegedly don't interact at all: no eye contact, no talking, and putting money on the counter of stores instead of handing it to the cashier. A small group of town residents also allegedly harassed cult members and cut off their electricity to try to force them out. The cult's packed up and are en route to the capital via bus. They intend to stay in Guatemala.

Over the past few months, all but a few families migrated to Guatemala. Of those that stayed, most or all are still in trouble with the Canadian authorities. These families also disappeared this week and their location is unknown.

Information about the situation in Guatemala is a bit muddled, because reporters seem to be confusing Lev Tahor with another cult, Torat Jesed (Toiras Chessed). Lev Tahor settled in Panajachel, while Torat Jesed has been in San Juan La Laguna for six years. They may have merged.

The cult is now being expelled from the town in which they're living, San Juan La Laguna. Cult members have allegedly been harassing tourists (on whom the local economy depends) and not treating town residents respectfully. Their customs, such as men using the lake as a mikvah (ie bathing naked) and the clothing of both men and women, are seen as strange by the town residents. They also allegedly don't interact at all: no eye contact, no talking, and putting money on the counter of stores instead of handing it to the cashier. A small group of town residents also allegedly harassed cult members and cut off their electricity to try to force them out. The cult's packed up and are en route to the capital via bus. They intend to stay in Guatemala.

Are we keeping track of just how many places Helbrans and his group have had to leave?

He was deported to Israel from the US after being convicted of kidnapping. He left Israel for Canada, making a bogus refugee claim. In Canada, his group first settled in Quebec, then fled when child protection officials went after them. They arrived in Chatham, but child protection officials there showed up to enforce the Quebec order. They took off for Guatemala, and have now managed to piss off the locals.

Archived