IGNORED

The Life Of Grandma Duggar

ljohnson2006

Finances could also be key. End of life illnesses where the person is sick for a prolonged amount of time can really eat up any savings set aside. Boob has said his father wasnt great financially, so I wouldn't be shocked if Grandpa Duggar's final years wiped most of the money out.

Mary may not be able to afford to live on her own, and helping out around the Duggar compound may help her feel better about living there (assumably) rent free.

Similarly, DeAnna may not be able to afford to have her mom live with them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also she might find skirts more comfortable, my grandmothers both wore skirts because they are easier if you have arthritic hands and you can wear support tights underneath. Also wearing pants to anything more than a BBQ wasn't what 'nice' girls did.

As far as the skirts go, she may just be picking her battles very carefully. It might not make much difference to her about this issue, for example, and she knows it's just going to cause a fuss. So she wears skirts and saves her energy for the real battles like... I don't know. We only see glimpses of her life, so I don't know what that might entail, but I feel like she wears mostly skirts because she's saving her energy for battles that actually matter (to her, I mean. To me, this would be a battle worth fighting.)

She's old enough to remember when women and girls had to wear skirts or dresses to school, work, church, etc. Even by the time I started kindergarten in the mid-1970s, girls hadn't been wearing pants to school for very long-- I can remember in the spring of that year, my mom was still very unsure about sending me to school in shorts.

Finances could also be key. End of life illnesses where the person is sick for a prolonged amount of time can really eat up any savings set aside. Boob has said his father wasnt great financially, so I wouldn't be shocked if Grandpa Duggar's final years wiped most of the money out.

Mary may not be able to afford to live on her own, and helping out around the Duggar compound may help her feel better about living there (assumably) rent free.

Similarly, DeAnna may not be able to afford to have her mom live with them.

Grandma Mary has been reported to own a few rental home including the house Josh and Anna lived in. I recall at one point, the house where DeAnna lives, was solely under Mary's name for awhile. Now the house is under both Mary and DeAnna's names.

If I remember correctly, Grandma owns rental properties. I think Smuggar's house was/is one of the rentals. Can anyone confirm or debunk that one? I think she probably didn't want to go back to an empty house once Grandpa died. She can rent out her place & make some money while living at the TTH in exchange for slave labor. I think it keeps her busy and she can be around the grandchildren. Plus, she can ride the TLC gravy train. Grandma isn't stupid.

She's old enough to remember when women and girls had to wear skirts or dresses to school, work, church, etc. Even by the time I started kindergarten in the mid-1970s, girls hadn't been wearing pants to school for very long-- I can remember in the spring of that year, my mom was still very unsure about sending me to school in shorts.

Yes, but on the show, didn't she used to wear pants a lot before moving in with the diggers? Just because it was the norm for part of thei life doesn't mean they didn't start wearing pants in public when that became acceptable.

Shoot, outside of church and other formal occasions I've never seen my grandma wearing a dress/skirt. And she grew up in the 40s/50s. I don't think I've ever seen my other grandma 10 year older than the first grandma) EVER wear a dress or skirt. I've seen pics of her in them, but nothing since at least 1980 something.

My guess is that Mary duggar is picking her battles wisely.

I find that kind of offensive. Are you saying that people who went to a private Christian high school are all like JimBob? That they can't live a normal life? I went to a private Christian school my entire schooling and turned out just fine thanks.

Have you ever heard of SNARK?

I remember reading online (so take with a cup of salt) that Mary was the more religious of JB's parents, and the more accepting of his lifestyle way back when. When he didn't have as many kids she was still involved in locally promoting the family as part of his political ambitions (lol). JL was shown on camera saying he didn't really agree with the family size but Mary has never said anything of the kind.

I believe she willingly moved in with the family after JL died because few would want to be alone at a time when they could be surrounded by family. It probably gives her something to do with her days, and whilst the gravy train is running she gets to do some pretty cool stuff she might not have done before - travelling all over, trips overseas etc. She likely doesn't have to cook or clean often because of the J'slaves and if there's one task I don't mind, it's laundry - you throw it in, press some buttons and walk away and read a book for a while. She doesn't even have to sort it as it all goes in a communal closet

No, I think Grandma's got if made. And when she wants som R&R zhe voes and stays with Famy and Deanna, as evidenced by Famy'z past facebook posts.

Re: Her rental properties. Who thinks Smuggar actually paid her rent ? Maybe the deal was to allow her to live in the TTH in exchange for letting smugs and brood live rent -free in her home.

She has mentioned wearing pants/slacks before, like when they went to buy her a bike but she didn't know, she said if she did she would have worn slacks. I don't think she's against it, but chooses to wear skirts, for whatever reason.

I hope she is wanting to be where she is and likes helping out so much.

Could be the skirts are for tv/public appearances. Maybe she wants to avoid questions and speculation about why she wears pants. I mean, Boob's an ass and Michelle is nuts, but do they really think a woman her age in pants would be defrauding anyone? I can't imagine them making it an issue with her day to day.

These are the same people who think little girls who show their panties are defrauding. Mary is of sexual maturity and has produced children. To them, that's almost like a pin-up.

I think that Mary's life with JL was genuinely happy and fulfilling and maybe she didn't know what to do with herself when he was gone. She could have been so vulnerable that Boob jumped on it and wanted to fill his father's shoes.

Maybe she hasn't bounced back yet.

Maybe she has and she just doesn't know what to do.

I think DeAnna is afraid of Boob. He seems to rule the family. Which is sad, because he's just an uneducated moron. Great role model for the family. Smugger is no better.

I don't think she's afraid of him at all. She's probably does not agree with him on many of his beliefs/ideas/personality quirks. Also, who knows how she gets along with Michelle?

I find that kind of offensive. Are you saying that people who went to a private Christian high school are all like JimBob? That they can't live a normal life? I went to a private Christian school my entire schooling and turned out just fine thanks.

I was actually trying to be snarky. I'm not very good at it, but I do try occasionally. I was just being a smart ass. I guess snark is supposed to offend or get some reaction. :?

My husband went to a Catholic school and we both have taught in them. We also considered a Lutheran school for my daughter. Sorry if it bothered you, my statement was meant to be about the difference between Jim Bob and DeAnna. I believe fully in educational choice, be it private, public or homeschool. And I do consider DeAnna to have a more "normal" life.

edit: I posted this before I read NellieBelle's response. It was sufficient. ty

Grandma Duggar is 72. I don't know how he did it, but JB has her under his thumb. Since Grandpa Duggar died, Grandma is now living in JB's house, is under his authority, is her headship, and must obey him. Even the fundies in my family don't do crazy shit like this. Grandmothers are family matriarchs and are to be revered and respected.

I think when they built the house, they purposely put a suite off the laundry room for his parents when they got older. I'm thinking they talked about it in the house special...

I watched a little of 16 Kids and Moving In on YouTube. That is some classic Duggars. Wow. I didn't watch it all at the time it was first on, It reminding why this family was engaging. They have changed sooo much.

I watched a little of 16 Kids and Moving In on YouTube. That is some classic Duggars. Wow. I didn't watch it all at the time it was first on, It reminding why this family was engaging. They have changed sooo much.

They were a big family, now they're a big celebrity family.

Grammar fail. It reminded me of why this family was engaging.

I have fundy in-laws and, when in their house, I follow all their rules: long skirts, high neck line, I don't give their kids unapproved toys, etc. I might not agree with their beliefs but within their home I will respect them. (I get very frustrated that they won't do the same in mine but that's another story.) I always assumed Mary's change to always wearing skirts was simply that she wasn't going to undermine JB&M in their own house.

You are a nicer person than I. If someone wouldn't respect me in my house (even if they are family), I wouldn't giving them the courtesy of respecting them in theirs. I wouldn't like, come over and break all their windows or anything like that. I just wouldn't change myself to make them comfortable. Actually, I wouldn't even go over there, but that's a whole 'nother story.

Seriously, I applaud you for how tolerant you are. :)

Re: Her rental properties. Who thinks Smuggar actually paid her rent ? Maybe the deal was to allow her to live in the TTH in exchange for letting smugs and brood live rent -free in her home.

I have wondered if they did pay rent. If they didn't pay rent, I think that is ok. One of my aunts died in her early 50s and at the time, her two sons were in the military and living away. They didn't want to sell the house and they rented out it for awhile, but after having issues with a tenant they asked another relative to move in and maintain the house. They didn't charge the other relative rent because they say her as a family.

Any rent money she receives is most likely going to JB. That or he had her sign all of property over to him. No way will JB allow anybody living under his roof make and keep their own money. He's a sorry excuse for a son and father.

Any rent money she receives is most likely going to JB. That or he had her sign all of property over to him. No way will JB allow anybody living under his roof make and keep their own money. He's a sorry excuse for a son and father.

Am I the only one who remembers a so-called "insider" from Arkansas who posted on some message board (possibly TWOP) that Mary Duggar is the brains behind the whole operation? IIRC, this person claimed it was her idea for Jim Bob to put his family in front of the cameras.

I do remember reading somewhere (wish I could remember where) that Boob did have control of most of Mary's property.

She did own quite a bit of property. Remember the hike up a mountain that took place on Mary's property.

Archived