IGNORED

Proselytizing with the Mallys

GeoBQn

No. Actually, the groups I used to run with would only try harder to convert you, be used "jews rejected Christ'" so in their view you've fit a one way ticket to HAY-ELL!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know, you didn't write a book telling young women to not flirt but to wait patiently for Prince Charming to drop into their laps. (or did you? :evil-eye: )Sarah Mally's Before You Meet Prince Charming is one of the Duggar girls favorite book.

For those who have either forgotten the book or never knew it existed, this Amazon review covers it

True, true. I wasn't terrorizing a small village with tales of the vengeful God or chartering a trip to Mexico on the USS douchecanoe OR the author of a moderately successful (in certain circles), but useless, book when I met him. :D

Actually, I was running a successful business in a dying field, so I decided to go back to college to prepare for the inevitable. I met him through a friend I met in class. Fundies should look into this "life" thing. It's really helpful in finding a mate.

I was reading the forums of imdb associated with the movie life of pi which is an interesting movie for thebeleif vs doubt discussion and there was some major douchwaffle posting about how the bible is real with faux scholarly articles about how the bible is real because the bible said so and some hisotrians think minor details are consistent other historical accunts. He was being a real insufferuable prick about his awesome debate skills too.

I get out of being prosseltized by saying I'm Jewish. For whatever reason no group has a good response to that one don't they beleive that jews automatically go to heaven?

no A lot of them think that every Jew who doesn't accept jesus goes directly to hell, chosen people or not.

True, true. I wasn't terrorizing a small village with tales of the vengeful God or chartering a trip to Mexico on the USS douchecanoe OR the author of a moderately successful (in certain circles), but useless, book when I met him. :D

Actually, I was running a successful business in a dying field, so I decided to go back to college to prepare for the inevitable. I met him through a friend I met in class. Fundies should look into this "life" thing. It's really helpful in finding a mate.

Harlot. College!! Working!! Not living under the protection of your Father while waiting for your beloved! You had friends outside your family! Hussy. Harlot! Clearly, you didn't read Sarah's book!! Just kidding. I'm older than you & I'm not about to take a ride on the USS Douchecanoe to find Prince Charming.

Hmm, I'm heading out on a plane later this week. I'll need to take along my "Why the earth is 5 billion years old and how we proved it" tract to give my seat mate just in case I'm proselytized. It isn't right to accept a present without giving something in return, right? 8-)

Hmm, I'm heading out on a plane later this week. I'll need to take along my "Why the earth is 5 billion years old and how we proved it" tract to give my seat mate just in case I'm proselytized. It isn't right to accept a present without giving something in return, right? 8-)

I need a link to where I can find and print this!

LOL. That is a good idea. Are those for real, and where can I order some for myself?

LOL. That is a good idea. Are those for real, and where can I order some for myself?

Sadly they exist only in my mind; however, I could definitely see this as project for my spare time. The FJ community, with all its scientific knowledge (and I'm really amazed at how much everyone knows here) should be able to cobble together something!

ETA: there are a whole bunch of printable atheist tracts on the internet. Some are pretty good!

I think if we got stuck like that on a plane, my sig other would debate the crap out of them. He is very good at that stuff, and is well informed on religious issues. T'would be fun to watch!

Jealousy. We have prettier churches, better food, can drink and dance without shame, treat our brides like queens and not servants/property on their wedding day, and like sassy women. Even God has to listen to his mother according to our kind (Catholics and Orthodox)

They can keep their Chick tracts, grape juice, and helpmeets. ;)

Blinged-out services and better music, too. Everything from Gregorian chant to Verdi, pipe organs to handbells. Not just poorly-played, screechy violins. :violin:

She readily agreed. Her English wasn’t great, but it was enough to get by. Then I remembered that I had a “Are You A Good Person†comic tract in both Spanish and English. I showed them to her, and she thought it would be a good tool to teach me Spanish. She took me through entire tract (it took about an hour!), comparing the Spanish to English and teaching me the key words.

[snip]

I realized later that this was a pretty accurate introduction for me to the mindset of most people in Mexico … they have a Catholic heritage and believe in God, but they don’t truly understand the gospel, God’s justice, or their need for salvation. I pray the Lord works in her heart, and I was so grateful for the way God provided to communicate with her despite her very small English vocabulary!

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=11897

Let me get this right... the woman does not speak English very well/doesn't know a lot of English, but she was able to compare the Spanish and English versions of your tract? Bullshit.

Also, if you're so determined to annoy everyone in every country with your proselytizing, maybe you should be proactive and learn the language of wherever you're going. "God provided [a way] to communicate"? No. A woman took the time and effort to learn a foreign language and now you're bothering her by disrespecting her beliefs (and her language skills).

I hate proselytizers.

I need a tract called why it's rude to press your religion on other people. The best quote I've ever seen said "Religion is like a penis. It's ok to have one. It's even ok to be proud of it. But for god's sake, don't wave it around in public or try to shove it down anyone's throat".

Does anyone else appreciate the irony that Sarah lied to to her seatmate about language lessons while using a bible tract that talks about the ten commandments and not lying.

Does anyone else appreciate the irony that Sarah lied to to her seatmate about language lessons while using a bible tract that talks about the ten commandments and not lying.

Yes! But I suppose you have to twist things a little to save a soul?

I didn't grow up fundie or even Evangelical...does Jesus keep a tally of how many souls one saves, and does it get you extra brownie points after you die? I just don't get why they so aggressively try to get converts.

I didn't grow up fundie or even Evangelical...does Jesus keep a tally of how many souls one saves, and does it get you extra brownie points after you die? I just don't get why they so aggressively try to get converts.

In seventh day Adventism, it was believed that the person you converted meant an extra star in the crown you'd wear in heaven. So people who converted a lot of people would have a lot of stars.

But I think the main reason, in any religion, is that most people really do just want to save people from hell. I mean, if you were responsible for keeping people out of hell, that would kind of freak you out a little, especially since If you could and you don't, their blood is on your hands/

Apparently, the Mally family has some sort of internship in their home for young ladies.

treasuresfromashoebox.blogspot.com/2011/03/bright-lights.html

We spent the night with Emily and two of the three other Bright Light interns and a few family members, at the house that Emily would call “home†for eleven weeks. After church and a fellowship dinner with the Mally’s the next afternoon, Mr. Mally and Sarah took us on a tour of their beautiful bookstore, which is also the Bright Lights’ Headquarters. In the parking lot of that bookstore is where we left our daughter. I took the above picture of Emily and Sarah and hugged my little girl tight.

Emily is over half-way through the internship. She emails and “Google talks†every chance she gets, which is usually a couple of times a week. We talk to her once or twice a week, as well. She works in the office, attended a Basic Seminar, memorizes Scripture, reads assignments, spent two weeks learning Desktop Publishing, and goes witnessing with the group on Saturdays and at a recent St. Patrick’s Day Parade. She will be teaching at an upcoming Children’s conference and is looking forward to assisting at a Bright Light’s Conference in Arkansas in April. Terry and I are both very impressed with all that she is learning and how she has grown and matured while there. We miss her terribly, but we all know this is God’s best plan for her. Emily plans to begin a Bright Lights group soon after she returns home the end of April.

I was raised to believe that you would get rewarded in heaven for the people you help save. They would be a jewel in your crown and if you only save one or two people you would be walking around for eternity with a plain crown while others pranced around heaven with crowns filled with jewels.

There is also the belief that when you get to heaven you will have to explain to Jesus why you didn't try to convert people and know that people went to hell because you didn't do your job.

It is a super fucked up belief system that I didn't really see how crazy and manipulative it was till I was out.

I was raised to believe that you would get rewarded in heaven for the people you help save. They would be a jewel in your crown and if you only save one or two people you would be walking around for eternity with a plain crown while others pranced around heaven with crowns filled with jewels.

There is also the belief that when you get to heaven you will have to explain to Jesus why you didn't try to convert people and know that people went to hell because you didn't do your job.

It is a super fucked up belief system that I didn't really see how crazy and manipulative it was till I was out.

Yeah, I was taught something similar and never understood it either. Also, I was taught that everyone you helped save or had any part in saving would come up in thank you in Heaven. It seemed like we were all going to be infinitely happy in Heaven, but some would be happier because they had fancier crowns or bigger mansions. I wondered would the thief on the cross (or any right-before-death convert) experience a worse version of Heaven because they didn't buy in earlier?

Yeah, I was taught something similar and never understood it either. Also, I was taught that everyone you helped save or had any part in saving would come up in thank you in Heaven. It seemed like we were all going to be infinitely happy in Heaven, but some would be happier because they had fancier crowns or bigger mansions. I wondered would the thief on the cross (or any right-before-death convert) experience a worse version of Heaven because they didn't buy in earlier?

There was even a Ray Boltz song about that. :lol:

I forgot about getting bigger and better mansions if you saved more people. It does seem like some people get a way better heaven than others.

Archived