IGNORED

Proselytizing with the Mallys

GeoBQn

Wasn't the Mallys or friends of theirs who went to some college's international student event to talk about Christianity? I also remember the Mallys and a friend proselytizing at some restaurant a year or two ago.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, something I don't understand, if she acknowledges that these people believe in God, then how does she know they aren't saved? Isn't that all you have to do - just have faith in God?

Okay, something I don't understand, if she acknowledges that these people believe in God, then how does she know they aren't saved? Isn't that all you have to do - just have faith in God?

I thought that in order to be "saved" you had to accept Jesus as your personal savior and give your life over to him, not just believe/have faith. Which is why so many Christians are the "wrong" kind. Yes? No?

I use two strategies: "Thank you, but I'm already a Christian" or just pretend to be in a huge hurry if I'm not on a plane/bus.

If they persist, or are using antigay rhetoric: "I'm gay. God doesn't say hurtful things like that; loving your neighbor includes me, your gay neighbor." and/or, if really conservative/sheltered looking, "I'm gay, so no point trying. I'm going to hell in your book anyway. Now, stop bothering me. Who knows? You might catch it!"

Now, now, I married my Prince Charming at 35.

Of course, I wasn't terrorizing a small village with tales of the vengeful God or chartering a trip to Mexico on the USS douchecanoe when I met him.

As far as I know, you didn't write a book telling young women to not flirt but to wait patiently for Prince Charming to drop into their laps. (or did you? :evil-eye: )Sarah Mally's Before You Meet Prince Charming is one of the Duggar girls favorite book.

For those who have either forgotten the book or never knew it existed, this Amazon review covers it

I recently purchased this book and have enjoyed everything about it. I often find myself talking and thinking of things that I shouldn't, but often not knowing how to capture and stop those bad habits. Sarah Mally gives reason, examples, and Scripture of keeping yourself mentally and physical pure for the "Perfect ONE" God has for you. This book has helped to change my understanding of why it is so importantto choose God before anything and fill my whole heart with Him only. If you are a young girl struggling with feelings and thoughts you should purchase this book. PLEASE READ THIS BOOK!!!

I thought that in order to be "saved" you had to accept Jesus as your personal savior and give your life over to him, not just believe/have faith. Which is why so many Christians are the "wrong" kind. Yes? No?

That is, indeed, the way evangelicals look at it. However, this stuff about "accepting Christ as your personal saviour" isn't really found in the New Testament. It's merely an evangelical interpretation of things. It also isn't something that all Christians experience and some of them will acknowledge that fact. The late Ruth Graham, the wife of Billy Graham and the daughter of missionaries to China, said that she could never remember a time when she accepted Christ and that she had always believed. I wonder what the evangelicals make of that.

In order to be saved, you have to believe EXACTLY what I believe,and follow all the same petty rules as I do*. You are for sure saved, if I 'lead you to Christ' and then I can document your 'progress' in your 'walk with the Lord'. I was a failure as an evangelical. I never won any souls or led anyone to the Lord.

*I recall, as a child, seeing a minister from a church that was deemed 'not really Christian' by our rules. This minister was smoking, so in my mind, this confirmed that he and his church were 'not real Christians'.

To the poster who said having Jesus born as a full grown man would NOT make the bible weirder than it is, :clap:

-Invite international students over to your home for a Christmas party. Have snacks and share about the Biblical account of Christmas. Explain how most of America misses the whole point.

You too can harass young people who are far from home and outside their familiar cultures and send them away with a totally skewed impression that they will bring back home with them! This paragraph seriously reads like something out of The Onion.

Different sects of Christianity have different beliefs, but FWIW here is how it was taught to me in AWANA Bible Club when I was twelve:

1. Everyone has sinned at one time or another, and all sinners go to Hell when they die. (One of the parents at the church did tell me that babies don't go to Hell. She wasn't sure at what age a child is held accountable for his/her sins, but my friends and I were definitely old enough at that time.)

2. If you want to get saved, you say a prayer of faith where you tell God you are sorry for your sins and that you accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior.

3. If you do this and then go out and kill twenty people (yes, I did ask that question), then it means you weren't really saved in the first place. Saying the prayer isn't enough; you have to believe it in your heart and make a sincere effort to turn away from sin.

So the woman told you she disagreed, and instead of ending the conversation, you give her more material that she will disagree with. And ebil Catholics don't really have religion. This woman looks THRILLED to have her picture taken with this nut job.

WT0sC9J.jpg

Now, if the obnoxious and obvious proselytizer is overshadowed by Jesus himself, who also once had a nice long chat with your mother, that's a whole other thing (well, not really, but . . . ):

55pTVRyuaMk

Warning -- do not watch if you have a need to stay awake!

Mary. They hate them some Mother Mary. She's an idol, that Mary.

God forbid these patriarchy loving assholes show reverence to a woman.

Okay, I am not a believer (and when I've felt that there must be "more" out there, I'm hippie enough to admit I'd head straight to the local Universalist/Unitarian church), but I have to wonder how an actor is chosen to play Jesus. I mean ... isn't that a bit IDOLATROUS? How is THAT okay?

Take with a grain of salt, as one of my favorite movies ever is Jesus Christ Superstar (which, I believe, was written by a "dirty" Catholic).

Western Europeans have been portraying the gods they worship on stage and theatre since before the time of Jesus. That is the cultural component. The religious component defines blasphemy as subscribing false attributes to God. So a devout Christian actor might pass on portraying Jesus in The Last Temptation of Christ, but the cultural component in western Christendom is far more flexible of the portrayal of God in the arts. It isn't defacto blasphemy to represent God in art the way it is in Judaism and Islam.

I have to wonder how an actor is chosen to play Jesus. I mean ... isn't that a bit IDOLATROUS? How is THAT okay?

Well, in the case of the video I posted above, it's because he's also the director and one of the screenwriters! How's that for confidence? :lol:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0902253/

I know, Aretajo, I meant it a bit tongue in cheek. Greek (later Roman) god and goddesses were portrayed on the stage, and I suppose there's been a "hand of God" component to many medieval European plays as well. I guess my point was - with these super conservative folks, who shy away from the most basic sex education, recognition of wine (as opposed to grape juice) or talk of Mary as a key component to the holy trinity, how does the casting situation come about? Like, does someone say "oh, YOU'RE Godly, Peter, and handsome as well. Maybe YOU should play our modern Jesus in this terrible movie!" Does "Peter" (name I chose at random) have to pray extra hard to portray the savior?

I really don't mean this to be insulting. But I do find it somewhat amusing.

I know, Aretajo, I meant it a bit tongue in cheek. Greek (later Roman) god and goddesses were portrayed on the stage, and I suppose there's been a "hand of God" component to many medieval European plays as well. I guess my point was - with these super conservative folks, who shy away from the most basic sex education, recognition of wine (as opposed to grape juice) or talk of Mary as a key component to the holy trinity, how does the casting situation come about? Like, does someone say "oh, YOU'RE Godly, Peter, and handsome as well. Maybe YOU should play our modern Jesus in this terrible movie!" Does "Peter" (name I chose at random) have to pray extra hard to portray the savior?

I really don't mean this to be insulting. But I do find it somewhat amusing.

Ah, I seem to be sucking at reading comprehension tonight. I blame the NyQuil. :embarrassed: For fundie movies, they are so bad that their very existence offends God in principle.

Mary is not a component of the trinity. :confused:

A few of the old standbys, off the top of my head--I am not saying they are accurate belief's only that they are reasons given.

Praying to graven image/mary/saints.

Thinking Mary remained a virgin

Confessing to a father/priest instead of going to jesus or god directly (some fundies seem to do a bit of this themselves)

Calling priests "Father"

Transubstantiation... and using wine, not grape juice

The idea that Mary was conceived without sin("She was a sinner who needed a Savior, just like us" and "She was a woman who said 'yes' to God, like we all should."). I've also heard the idea that "since Catholic churches have crucifixes, they must believe that Jesus is still on the cross." At my fundie-light church, one of the pastors had previously spent about 11 years as a missionary in Barcelona, and "we had the only church in the city with an empty cross."

Mary. They hate them some Mother Mary. She's an idol, that Mary.

Let us keep in mind that sage Raquel, who loves the Ave Maria, but wishes it weren't about Mary. Because its lyrics, almost in their entirety, don't come straight from the Bible, and God had NOTHING to do with deciding she should be Jesus's mother. *monumental eyeroll*

Oh, and heaven forbid that there should be some major FEMALE religious figure.

They lost me at the blonde blue eyes WHITE Jesus. Because Jesus was totally white.

That's always my main beef with these movies. Grrrrrrrr

She's lucky she wasn't next to me on that plane. I'd have let her have it.

You can't win when arguing with an agnostic physician - "but how do you know the bible is the word of god?quoting the bible to say it is the word of god is like quoting Harry Potter to prove that wizards exist. Can we scrap the circular reasoning and cherry picking here?"

I am such a bitch to those proselytizers. There is little more disgusting to me than aggressively pushing your beliefs on people, just live and let live. Those proselytizers signed up for it when jumping into the fire.

Fundies, including the Mallys, are super concerned about all the unsaved souls out there, and if only everyone else would believe the way they do, the world would be a better place. What proof do they have that they're doing "it" right? Perhaps they're the ones who are doing it wrong.

Fundies, including the Mallys, are super concerned about all the unsaved souls out there, and if only everyone else would believe the way they do, the world would be a better place. What proof do they have that they're doing "it" right? Perhaps they're the ones who are doing it wrong.

If they would concentrate on things like feeding the hungry, instead of obsessing over whether we were all singing from the same sheet music, they would be doing "it" right and the world would be a better place.

But things like that require you actually get your hands dirty, and risk breaking a nail.

Hate to say it but there is no reasoning either with an evangelistic fundie either. This would be precisely a situation where I would put in my earphones, order a drink and then fall asleep as fast as possible.

Did you fall short of your soul-winning goals this year? The Mallys have some tips for you:

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=11960

If that doesn't work, just resort to good ol' fashioned trickery and bullying, like what one of the Mally girls did on their plane trip to Mexico.

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=11897

So the woman told you she disagreed, and instead of ending the conversation, you give her more material that she will disagree with. And ebil Catholics don't really have religion. This woman looks THRILLED to have her picture taken with this nut job.

Fuck them all. One of my Orthodox Jewish friends posted a Facebook status complaining that she sat next to someone on a plane who spent the entire time trying to proselytize to her. She had her baby in her lap, so she couldn't just pretend to sleep or listen to headphones. I don't even know what I would do if I was a captive audience on a plane like that. (I consider one of the perks of being married that I almost never have to fly alone anymore and can use my husband as a buffer.)

Evil Catholics! We always ruin it for the fundies! Nope, we don't understand the Gospel. We can't quote the Bible like fundies or have someone stand at the alter preaching about how we're going to hell because we're Sinners!! Sorry Sarah Mally if we don't feel we need to be "saved". Last time I checked, Jesus saved us when he died on the cross. Keep your stupid fundie tracts & leave people on airplanes alone. I want to punch Sarah in the throat!

She's lucky she wasn't next to me on that plane. I'd have let her have it.

You can't win when arguing with an agnostic physician - "but how do you know the bible is the word of god?quoting the bible to say it is the word of god is like quoting Harry Potter to prove that wizards exist. Can we scrap the circular reasoning and cherry picking here?"

I am such a bitch to those proselytizers. There is little more disgusting to me than aggressively pushing your beliefs on people, just live and let live. Those proselytizers signed up for it when jumping into the fire.

I was reading the forums of imdb associated with the movie life of pi which is an interesting movie for thebeleif vs doubt discussion and there was some major douchwaffle posting about how the bible is real with faux scholarly articles about how the bible is real because the bible said so and some hisotrians think minor details are consistent other historical accunts. He was being a real insufferuable prick about his awesome debate skills too.

I get out of being prosseltized by saying I'm Jewish. For whatever reason no group has a good response to that one don't they beleive that jews automatically go to heaven?

Archived