IGNORED

Proselytizing with the Mallys

GeoBQn

Did you fall short of your soul-winning goals this year? The Mallys have some tips for you:

-Every time you check out at a store, give them one of these nativity booklets or another Christmas tract. Tell them, “Here’s some fascinating facts that most people don’t know about the true Christmas story.â€

-Invite international students over to your home for a Christmas party. Have snacks and share about the Biblical account of Christmas. Explain how most of America misses the whole point.

-Go out witnessing at malls and take a short Christmas questionnaire. (I suggest using a few simple questions such as “Why did Jesus come to be born as a baby?†“What would be the best gift you could ever receive?†etc. )

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=11960

If that doesn't work, just resort to good ol' fashioned trickery and bullying, like what one of the Mally girls did on their plane trip to Mexico.

On our flight into Morelia, I heard my mom ask the Mexican man sitting next to her, “Could I practice some Spanish words on you?â€

Good idea, Mom! I thought.

I turned to the lady next to me. “Could I practice a few Spanish words with you?†I asked her.

She readily agreed. Her English wasn’t great, but it was enough to get by. Then I remembered that I had a “Are You A Good Person†comic tract in both Spanish and English. I showed them to her, and she thought it would be a good tool to teach me Spanish. She took me through entire tract (it took about an hour!), comparing the Spanish to English and teaching me the key words.

It was interesting to me to see her response to the tract. At first she enjoyed it, but then when we got to the part about God’s wrath toward sin she told me that she disagreed. I tried to explain about God’s justice and love and gave her a God of Wonders DVD which I pray she will watch!

I realized later that this was a pretty accurate introduction for me to the mindset of most people in Mexico … they have a Catholic heritage and believe in God, but they don’t truly understand the gospel, God’s justice, or their need for salvation. I pray the Lord works in her heart, and I was so grateful for the way God provided to communicate with her despite her very small English vocabulary!

tomorrowsforefathers.com/gracenotes/?p=11897

So the woman told you she disagreed, and instead of ending the conversation, you give her more material that she will disagree with. And ebil Catholics don't really have religion. This woman looks THRILLED to have her picture taken with this nut job.

Fuck them all. One of my Orthodox Jewish friends posted a Facebook status complaining that she sat next to someone on a plane who spent the entire time trying to proselytize to her. She had her baby in her lap, so she couldn't just pretend to sleep or listen to headphones. I don't even know what I would do if I was a captive audience on a plane like that. (I consider one of the perks of being married that I almost never have to fly alone anymore and can use my husband as a buffer.)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sarah Mally better start praying for a husband instead of offending anyone who happens to sit by her on a plane....Still waiting for Prince Charming at 35 I believe????

The only way to get them to stop in situations like that is to literally say "fuck off". If you can't bring yourself to use that language, tell the flight attendant you are in distress and need your seat switched.

Proselytizers get away with a lot of this nonsense because a lot of people consider fighting back rude. I have always been able to shut them down when I refuse to be silent and listen.

Aren't most people born as babies? Never heard any other way except on Mork and Mindy when their son was born as a full-grown Jonathan Winters.

I think the question is supposed to mean "Why did Jesus come to earth in the form of a baby?" (as opposed to materializing from thin air as a full-grown man), but it's worded badly.

I think the question is supposed to mean "Why did Jesus come to earth in the form of a baby?" (as opposed to materializing from thin air as a full-grown man), but it's worded badly.

It is worded so badly that I counter with the question I did.

Ah, now I understand. Since the Mallys live 30 minutes away from me and tend to appear in my town once in a while, do you mind if I steal your answer if I encounter them?

Ah, now I understand. Since the Mallys live 30 minutes away from me and tend to appear in my town once in a while, do you mind if I steal your answer if I encounter them?

That would be more than okay.

Oh man, I would not be patient with this kind of thing. I've straight up said "sorry, I'm gonna watch tv now!" To people who have tried to talk to me on airplanes. If someone proselytized and a polite brush off didn't work I would just say "I don't believe in God and don't care to" and immediately put on headphones. I don't feel like I owe my seat mate polite, normal conversation, let alone religious talk.

I just tell them the truth-- I already am a Christian. Since I belong to a very liberal church, I'm not exactly their kind of Christian, but I don't tell them that part. I'll accept whatever tracts they offer, since I have quite a collection of religious materials from different faiths.

I don't know if Mary giving birth to a 30 year old man with a beard would make the Bible any weirder.

I don't know if Mary giving birth to a 30 year old man with a beard would make the Bible any weirder.

It would be hard enough for a virgin to birth an infant, a growing man would be really pushing (ha!) it.

People like them are why I don't even get on the city bus without headphones.

If I were feeling particularly evil, I'd ask them to give me some proof texts for Sola Scriptura, or even one, and then listen to the crickets chirp.

The Mally's irk me way more than they should. I have no idea why they make me so stabby. Part of it is their relentless proselytizing. Being religious does not mean that you can be rude or obnoxious and despite their sweet smiles, they are very inconsiderate. I doubt that they would enjoy an atheist or Satanist trying to proselytize them while they were a captive audience.

Their older brother has a job as a sports photographer and must be able to interact with people without shoving religion down their throats. . On their blog, he is in photos but doesn't seem to write anything. Like his sisters, he is not married.

Can someone explain to me what the fundie objection is to Catholicism?

They're pagan idol-worshippers who try to work their way into heaven, doncha know. @@<-----eyes rolling out of my head

Of course, the fundies accept the validity of the Church Council that decided on the Canon of Scripture...but reject everything else. How conveeeenient.

(I'm Orthodox, so I'm a fellow idolator headed straight to hell, what with my icon corner and toasting Easter with good Russian vodka). :D

Sarah Mally better start praying for a husband instead of offending anyone who happens to sit by her on a plane....Still waiting for Prince Charming at 35 I believe????

Now, now, I married my Prince Charming at 35.

Of course, I wasn't terrorizing a small village with tales of the vengeful God or chartering a trip to Mexico on the USS douchecanoe when I met him.

Mary. They hate them some Mother Mary. She's an idol, that Mary.

Now, now, I married my Prince Charming at 35.

Of course, I wasn't terrorizing a small village with tales of the vengeful God or chartering a trip to Mexico on the USS douchecanoe when I met him.

:clap: :lol:

Mary. They hate them some Mother Mary. She's an idol, that Mary.

Mary's probably glad she doesn't have to listen to their requests for intercession to get a new cell phone or keep the instruments in tune for the elderly.

ETA: Sorry, thought I was back on the Maxwell thread there for a minute. But the point stands.

A few of the old standbys, off the top of my head--I am not saying they are accurate belief's only that they are reasons given.

Praying to graven image/mary/saints.

Thinking Mary remained a virgin

Confessing to a father/priest instead of going to jesus or god directly (some fundies seem to do a bit of this themselves)

Calling priests "Father"

Transubstantiation... and using wine, not grape juice

So, she pretended to want to practice her Spanish in order to preach at this poor woman? Really shitty. Not Christian at all. Doesn't sound like the poor victim woman realized what she was doing. Way to take advantage of someone who was kind enough to let you "practice your Spanish".

ITA with the above poster who said to tell these people to F off, and get the flight attendant if they don't shut up.

In today's atmosphere, they might be taken off the plane with any luck.

Ah, nothing like a little deceit and trickery to spread the word of Jesus.

People who try to proselytize to me are entitled to one polite "thank you but I don't discuss my religious beliefs." After that, if they chose to continue, all bets are off.

All I can say about Sarah Mally is that she's really got that creepy fundie child/woman thing down pat (along with Sarah Maxwell). And you'll never convince me that she doesn't have an eating disorder.

Jealousy. We have prettier churches, better food, can drink and dance without shame, treat our brides like queens and not servants/property on their wedding day, and like sassy women. Even God has to listen to his mother according to our kind (Catholics and Orthodox)

They can keep their Chick tracts, grape juice, and helpmeets. ;)

Jealousy. We have prettier churches, better food, can drink and dance without shame, treat our brides like queens and not servants/property on their wedding day, and like sassy women. Even God has to listen to his mother according to our kind (Catholics and Orthodox)

They can keep their Chick tracts, grape juice, and helpmeets. ;)

Bwhaha! Love it. Favorite response.

Archived