IGNORED

Bill Nye and Ken Ham Creation/Evolution Debate

Ralar

I think the big disconnect for me with some of these questions seems to be that people think that disproving the creation story in some way disproves their entire religion. They don't seem to think that evolution and Christianity can both be correct. Science is not a belief system, it's a method of answering questions through observation and experimentation. I think that many of these people don't understand that basic principle.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I would like to ask them:

1. Look at me in the eye and with a straight face and tell me you seriously believe that humans occupied the earth with very large carnivorous reptiles, and lived to tell about it.

2. How did koala bears end up in Australia and only Australia, did Noah throw them off the ark as he swung by Australia on his way to Mt. Ararat, or did the two he had on the ark and all their offspring swim there?

3. How did Adam and Eve get grand kids?

4. Please derive the second law of thermodynamics, show your work.

5. If everything must have a creator, who created god.

Growing up,one argument against evolution that I heard was the following: The earth was created old, and with fossils that were intentionally created old and in layers, etc., to later test our faith as they were discovered. Sort of like God's practical joke. haha? Um. no.

Even when Ham was disputing the dating methods, he said that the wood was analyzed to be 45,000 years old. That's still not 6,000 years old.

Yeah, but that's because he (Ken Ham) was using the info from carbon dating, and carbon dating only "works" for a limited time period. You can use other radioactive isotopes (that have longer half lives) and date further back. And that's what they've done.

So, maybe the dating methods are off by a few million years...that doesn't explain why no fossils ever cross over or jump ahead. And Ham had a cool fossil of a fish eating another fish, then carried on about animals being vegetarian until "after the flood." So a fish eating a fish is not being vegetarian. Is he saying the fossil is under 4,000 years old? Because that would be ridiculous.

I am truly worried for the future. Entire states no longer teach evolution in public schools.

+1

Buzzfeed also has this one, with one of their reporters visiting the museum and giving a walkthrough.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/this-is- ... -dinosaurs

I haven't read through the whole thread, but does anyone have a list of all the "scientists" Ken quoted in his speech who don't believe in evolution? I saw the list of scientists on his answers in genesis project or whatever, but not all the ones mentioned in the talk seem to be active participants in that. I know he mentioned the guy who made the MRI, and a bunch of others he had little videos up of. So much of what he was basing his argument on was that zomg there are scientists who believe this too so its the atheists that are lying and saying that this is a science versus religion debate cuz you can be both. But, of course, I want to look more into all those men who gave a few second blurbs and see what their deal is.

A Reporter asked 22 self-identifying creationists at the Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate to write a message/question/note to the other side. Here’s what they wrote:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages-from-creationists-to-people-who-believe-in-evolutio?bffb

Example:

[attachment=0]creation.JPG[/attachment]

How can you look at her and not think "Clueless kool-aid drinker".

What I would like to ask them:

1. Look at me in the eye and with a straight face and tell me you seriously believe that humans occupied the earth with very large carnivorous reptiles, and lived to tell about it.

2. How did koala bears end up in Australia and only Australia, did Noah throw them off the ark as he swung by Australia on his way to Mt. Ararat, or did the two he had on the ark and all their offspring swim there?

3. How did Adam and Eve get grand kids?

4. Please derive the second law of thermodynamics, show your work.

5. If everything must have a creator, who created god.

How about this one? 6. Where did Mrs. Cain come from?

I didn't watch this, but did they discuss astronomy at all? Or was it all focused on evolution? I've noticed most fundies seem to ignore astronomy when discussing the age and origins of the universe.

Bill Nye talked about it. Ken Ham said that God created the stars for us to enjoy.

For a PhD in this BS you can also go here: grisda.org/about-gri/

Interestingly, the SDA church very recently posted an addendum to the fundamental beliefs further clarifying that to be a true believer adventist, youMUST believe in a LITERAL seven day creation, none of this creation/evolution amalgam bullshit.

Cognitive dissonance in Adventists is amazing. Medical science is their foundation industry, yet everything non-medical is wrong somehow? I'm so glad I'm freed from that ridiculousness. :clap:

Ham lost me when he managed to throw in that marriage is between a man and a woman, and that abortion is a sin. He wasn't there to debate, he was there to preach. He gave no evidence to support his answers outside of the bible. I live in Ky, I find this scary. This is why I home school. If my child's science classes are ruled by other peoples religion, and not actual science, I'll just teach them at home. Unfortunately, here, creationism is the majority, and I saw more than one persecuted Christian on facebook last night screaming "Woe is me, leave the Christians alone, it's not my fault I'm better than you and you are going to hell. I know TRUTH." (i paraphrased, but not by much.)

I just finished watching the debate, time differences and all that. I'm glad I did. I've always enjoyed listening to Bill Nye and today was no different. I do however have a headache must be from all that eye rolling from listening to Ham.

I did notice that Bill Nye, appealed a lot to the audience and the viewers, at home, online and the tax payers, to pay attention to think and to insist on funding and learning that we need science in order to not be left behind . Even if he was preaching to the crowd , if he got a few kids at home, who were listening with their parents to think and consider , I get the feeling he'd consider that a win.

As for Ham's declaration that no one else has a text detailing the rights and wrongs and history of the world, I have no words, I cannot with such people.

I especially liked Bill's plea "Do it for AMERICA!"

I watched the debate last night and I was surprised with Ham. I expected him to come up with answers on why he believed that there is a young earth but instead all he pulled was the "Historical Science" and "Observational Science". Does his brain really pull the "If he haven't seen it in our life time. there is no point looking at clues in the current time to try and find out what happened previously" thought. For a man who has spent his life campaigning for creation, I expected better answers.

I also thought that his response to what he would need to disprove his theory that God created the world as shown in Genesis very revealing. He very simply put it that it would be impossible and that he is absolutely right and could not be wrong. That shows that he is not a scientist and does not understand science.

It was the first time that I have ever seen Bill Nye and I like him. You could tell that he is use to speaking to the general population about science so that is would be understandable to the general population. While I thought at times that Bill may have lacked some on very specifics (I don't think that he is an evolutionist) he would be able relate to the general public's understanding. If they had gotten another evolutionist, ie an academic, the specifics and complex science may have bogged down the talk.

I enjoyed it but I really did think that the creation theory had more"evidence" as crazy as that evidence would seem to me

In order to be science, any evidence must be independently verifiable. The Bible can't be, by definition. It's faith. Science and faith can coexist, but faith is not science.

The thing that really struck at my heart was Ham's question "What good is the joy of discovery if you just die?" I cannot brain. I can't even come up with a coherent response, because REALLY?

Buzzfeed also has this one, with one of their reporters visiting the museum and giving a walkthrough.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/this-is- ... -dinosaurs

I haven't read through the whole thread, but does anyone have a list of all the "scientists" Ken quoted in his speech who don't believe in evolution? I saw the list of scientists on his answers in genesis project or whatever, but not all the ones mentioned in the talk seem to be active participants in that. I know he mentioned the guy who made the MRI, and a bunch of others he had little videos up of. So much of what he was basing his argument on was that zomg there are scientists who believe this too so its the atheists that are lying and saying that this is a science versus religion debate cuz you can be both. But, of course, I want to look more into all those men who gave a few second blurbs and see what their deal is.

That is hilarious. Creationists just make shit up.

Q: Dinosaurs are really big, how did they fit on the ark.

Creationist: Hmmmm, let's see....I KNOW!!! Babies are small, so clearly they just took babies!!

The creationists answer to the question about why there is proof snakes used to have legs is that in the Garden of Eden the serpent had legs. God punished them(which really isn't fair since I doubt the snakes had a choice about being copied by Satan)by making them crawl on their belly. This is often used as proof that the biblical story is correct.

5. How do you explain the sunset if their is no God? :cray-cray: The earth rotates on its axis. It makes one turn every 24 hours. As it turns some of the earth is in the light, some in the dark. The sun gives the appearance of rising and setting, but it is really just the earth turning.

I asked my 6 year old to explain this to me this morning and she gave me a correct explanation of the earth turning on its axis. If a 6 year old knows this, how can this woman not know this? The level of ignorance shown here is both shocking and scary.

A Reporter asked 22 self-identifying creationists at the Bill Nye/Ken Ham debate to write a message/question/note to the other side. Here’s what they wrote:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages-from-creationists-to-people-who-believe-in-evolutio?bffb

Example:

[attachment=0]creation.JPG[/attachment]

Oooh, I like this link! I can answer these questions:

1. Yes

2. No

3. Yes

4. No

5. It's "there" not "their", and the answer is "Easily".

6. WTF?

7. What about it?

8. You don't.

9. Yes

10. That's nice.

11. It's "there" not "their", and the answer is "They don't".

12. Not true

13. Yes

14. Because a theory had been validated by countless scientific studies and continues to do so today.

15. Actually science IS "testable, observable AND repeatable".

16. This happens all the time. For example, Downs Syndrome or Trisomy-21. These people exist.

17. I think he is here to educate children about science.

18. We have found many more than one "Lucy".

19. Yes

20. Easily

21. We don't know yet. The person who can find evidence will be very famous.

22. That's not how evolution works.

I asked my 6 year old to explain this to me this morning and she gave me a correct explanation of the earth turning on its axis. If a 6 year old knows this, how can this woman not know this? The level of ignorance shown here is both shocking and scary.

Well, OK, but TIDES! Tide comes in, tide goes out, never a miscommunication. You can't explain that now, can you!?

Score one for Jesus!

5 isn't very bright, is she? I think the average child knows how sunset works.

Yep, and they probably know the proper usage of there and their as well.

I cannot believe we are still having the conversation about how theory works in science and the whole "why do we still have monkeys" nonsense. It is rather alarming so many people are ignorant about basic information.

Archived