IGNORED

Duck dynasty patriarchs tells men to marry underage girls

Cleopatra7

My grandma married at 14 in 1924. She was an orphan who being abused by the uncle who was caring for her. Her brothers all ran for the military- even lying about their ages in some cases to escape. My grandma's only choices since she could join the military were to endure abuse or get married as quickly she could. Not exactly the "norm".

Interesting & so sad.

This lists median age of first marriage for men and women from 1890-2010 with stats for each year ending in zero. The median age is never below 20.3 for males or females. I am not a statistician by any means, but I would think that would indicate that marriages at 15/16 were never close to the norm for the period listed except perhaps in isolated pockets of the country.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005061.html

I find it really interesting that in the past 100 years the median age for females increased by 4 years, while the median age for men only increased by 2.

Robertson, 67, made similar remarks in his book Happy, Happy, Happy: My Life and Legacy as the Duck Commander, published earlier this year. In that book, he revealed that he married his wife, Kay, when she was 15.

"Miss Kay was the perfect woman for me," he wrote. "I was sixteen and she was fifteen when we were married. Nowadays some people might frown on people getting married that young, but I knew that if you married a woman when she was fifteen, she would pluck your ducks. If you waited until she was twenty, she would only pick your pockets."

Gross gross gross gross!

But at least he's transparent about not wanting an independent woman.

i'm really not surprised to hear this backwards garbage come from a person like this (I don't mean people from the south) when you start watching duck dynasty, you have a pretty good idea of who these people are and what their 'moral code' is like.

i'm really not surprised to hear this backwards garbage come from a person like this (I don't mean people from the south) when you start watching duck dynasty, you have a pretty good idea of who these people are and what their 'moral code' is like.

Yeah, Phil's making it pretty damn clear in front of his God and everybody that his main goal was to marry Kay at a ridiculously young age before she was educated enough to figure out if she had any dreams or life perspective of her own. He then proceeded to go out, drink and cheat on her for quite a long time, all while she was expected to stay home raising a bunch of kids.

And then on top of all this, he's openly homophobic, bigoted, and racist. Why, oh why, does this man have so many supporters?

If I was Kay, I would have dumped him right then and there for openly admitting he manipulated her because of her age. (Of course, if I was Kay, I would never have gotten involved with him to begin with.)

Yeah, Phil's making it pretty damn clear in front of his God and everybody that his main goal was to marry Kay at a ridiculously young age before she was educated enough to figure out if she had any dreams or life perspective of her own. He then proceeded to go out, drink and cheat on her for quite a long time, all while she was expected to stay home raising a bunch of kids.

And then on top of all this, he's openly homophobic, bigoted, and racist. Why, oh why, does this man have so many supporters?

If I was Kay, I would have dumped him right then and there for openly admitting he manipulated her because of her age. (Of course, if I was Kay, I would never have gotten involved with him to begin with.)

Excellent sum up R&M!

Archived