IGNORED

Merry Christmas...have some potatoes

Koala

What are tinned tomatoes? Canned? You don't put sugar in sauce. Between the meat and length of cooking time, it will be naturally sweet. I never heard of vinegar in sauce.

I wasn't sure if she was referring to pasta sauce, or what we in Australia call tomato sauce but Americans call ketchup or BBQ sauce, which would involve sugar and vinegar.

And yes, tinned is canned.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here a jar of tomato sauce for pasta on sale is about $5. A tin of toms are usually around $1.20 even when they're not on sale. Two tins on toms, some basil, oregano, thyme from the cupboard, an onion, some spinach which I usually have in the fridge and it's done. Cheaper and much tastier than a jar. Plus, it's a great way of using up carrots that may have gone a bit floppy or brocolli that's a bit yellow.

I bought a jar of "gourmet" pasta sauce for $8.99 on sale for a Christmas gift. The person did request a basket of such items. The canned tomatoes were a bit over a $1 a can. Both were on sale. There was also other brands of jarred sauce beginning at $2.99 a jar.

I wasn't sure if she was referring to pasta sauce, or what we in Australia call tomato sauce but Americans call ketchup or BBQ sauce, which would involve sugar and vinegar.

And yes, tinned is canned.

Oh! I use vinegar and sugar in my bbq sauce too.

My friend is in a group that "adopted a family" for Christmas. The family requested things like mac and cheese, tuna, chicken noodle soup and spagetti and sauce. My friend went to Costco and purchased cases of those items. In my opinion, this was a family who was really in need of food security. I can't imagine how desperate this family must have been.

My kids LOVE that the neighbors give them oodles of snacks on their birthdays and Christmas. A box of their favorite Pringles, candies and other food excited my teen daughters more than I would have thought.

If I thought a friend and family member was asking for gifts of food out of need and not just for extra stuff, I wouldn't wait until Christmas to supply that food.

Yeah, this. Why not give them food when they need it?

Do you have food banks in America? We have them here, but you need to be referred by your doctor, or by the Citizens Advice, or the DWP (welfare agency).

Are you half Wallonian or actually half French?

My mother was French from Dijon, my late husband was half Wallonian (Belgian), half French.

Yeah, this. Why not give them food when they need it?

Do you have food banks in America? We have them here, but you need to be referred by your doctor, or by the Citizens Advice, or the DWP (welfare agency).

Yes, there are food banks in America. For the larger ones that receive government grants you must have a referral ( a doctor, social worker, or religious leader, so their pastor would work if he is in charge of a recognized, tax-free church). There are also smaller food pantries run out of churches which don't require referrals, but normally only supply a small amount of food and can be very poorly organized.

However I used to work with many very religious people, most barely making it, and they usually refused help of this kind, specifically from the larger food banks (probably because of the government aspect, seeing it as akin to welfare). I think they also liked to propagate the view that they were blessed by God, not dependent on others. It was a hazy logic sometimes.

My mother was French from Dijon, my late husband was half Wallonian (Belgian), half French.

My old man is almost half (his m was 3/4 Walonian, 1/4 Irish...not a math person so I guess I'm almost 1/4?) My ancestors came from a village just outside of Liege, but I know next to nothing about the culture, as it seems the family hasn't kept any up over the last 150 years.

I usually just end up telling people I have French ancestry as most Americans haven't heard of them!

My old man is almost half (his m was 3/4 Walonian, 1/4 Irish...not a math person so I guess I'm almost 1/4?) My ancestors came from a village just outside of Liege, but I know next to nothing about the culture, as it seems the family hasn't kept any up over the last 150 years.

I usually just end up telling people I have French ancestry as most Americans haven't heard of them!

My late MIL was from Namur (Belgium) and her mother was from Northern France.

They only have small 3 children - if they are having this hard of a time keeping food in the house they are going to have a hell of a time when there more and older kids.

Exactly. If you are having food insecurities, it is not the time to try to have another baby.

This is a glimpse of one of their daily meal plans:

What We Ate

Breakfast: Cream of Wheat

Lunch: homemade biscuits, orange slices

Dinner: pancakes, oranges

4. Dishing out specific food portions, and then not allowing "seconds" for the kids

Okay, now this sounds harsh, until you hear me out. This is a HUGE time-saver for me, besides possibly being a money-saver. Our meals were taking forever. Now I prepare two bowls (or plates) of food, with plenty of food on there, so that they don't need anymore besides that. If they're unable to finish what's on their plate, I put it in the fridge, so that they can eat it the next meal. We're not big on throwing food away!

A good example here would be sour cream. The girls love sour cream, and they could probably eat a half container each, if I'd let them. But I have specific meals planned, all throughout those 2 weeks, that require sour cream. So if we're having soup or tacos, I give them a small scoop each. It saves the sour cream for the next time we need it, and honestly... the girls don't need anymore than that!

Her meal plans are unhealthy for growing children. Cinnamon buns and canned peaches for lunch? Mac n' cheese with nothing else? Pizza twice a day? How are these kids getting their veggies? The only meals that have substantial amounts of veggies are dinner, and she seems to favor starchy stuff like potatoes and peas.

This woman idolized the Duggars, so that explains a lot regarding her "healthy" meal choices. :roll:

I had food at Christmas too ... But it was foie gras, saffron, champagne, luxury food that I can't buy during the year (hopefully :-))...

His children don't seem skinny. How old are they ?

I think they are something like 9 months, 2 yrs. and 3 yrs. They don't seem terribly "skinny" now, but she blogged about her oldest having what sounds like severe failure to thrive at 4 months old when she got pregnant with baby #2. (And I can't find it now --maybe it was on her fb way back-- but I swear she wrote about making homemade baby formula out of evaporated milk, and how great it was because it was cheap!)

Personally, I think her kids have an appearance of food intolerances/ allergies with the dark creases under the eyes, super pale skin, and just a lifeless look a lot of the time. And that's just my opinion, but I think it's a real possibility given their diet that's pretty much exclusively processed wheat and starches. :cry:

Wow, this family is depressing. It does seem they make some freezer meals, but I can see they probably rely on a lot of processed crap and breakfasts for dinner for meals. And yeah, biscuits and some canned peaches do not a healthy meal make.

Also I found their daily to-do list and found something interesting: 2.bp.blogspot.com/-jKDa_6kHddE/UovAsR2s_wI/AAAAAAAADrM/TkmGtWj-bPI/s1600/chalkboard.JPG. Blanket time anyone? She mentioned it in a second place as well, and yet in a comment someone asked if she has any particular books she looks to for discipline and said none in particular. I doubt that.

I think they are something like 9 months, 2 yrs. and 3 yrs. They don't seem terribly "skinny" now, but she blogged about her oldest having what sounds like severe failure to thrive at 4 months old when she got pregnant with baby #2. (And I can't find it now --maybe it was on her fb way back-- but I swear she wrote about making homemade baby formula out of evaporated milk, and how great it was because it was cheap!)

Personally, I think her kids have an appearance of food intolerances/ allergies with the dark creases under the eyes, super pale skin, and just a lifeless look a lot of the time. And that's just my opinion, but I think it's a real possibility given their diet that's pretty much exclusively processed wheat and starches. :cry:

I think the kids look so terrible is because of the lack of nutrients. Those meal plan meals aren't meals! I always try to pair something carby (like oatmeal or cream of wheat) with a protein. It makes me so sad to see young children getting such inadequate food. I have a 3yo and he gets as much food as he wants. Yes, there are some weekends where we are busy and he doesn't get a well-balanced diet, but, he does get as much food as he wants. Is our grocery bill high? Yes, it can be. I am not a huge "from scratch" cook (mostly due to time), so I tend to buy prepared sauces and such. However, if it came to the point where we couldn't afford it, you bet I would start cooking from scratch before I let our son go without. :angry-banghead:

Also, the last thing I would be doing, if food were such a luxury, is trying to have another child. :pull-hair:

God I find this woman so tiresome and sanctimonious. But her post about her sister's wedding brings up a point I've often wondered about--what is the root of the fundie pride in having a short engagement? She announces her three month engagement, but then says her sister "beat" her, because hers was only six weeks.

It's not as if you're dating, you're engaged. Wouldn't getting to know each other be a more godly priority than rushing to jump into bed together? Even from a less mature, more dramatic (i.e., typical SAHD) perspective, wouldn't the waiting and patience of a long engagement make your union that much more righteous and romantic in the big ol' book of Christian love stories?

ETA: I'm not actually trying to knock those with shorter engagements. I just don't understand the pride in them, as if one is a better Christian or more pure because of it.

Exactly. If you are having food insecurities, it is not the time to try to have another baby.

This is a glimpse of one of their daily meal plans:

God, I missed this one. No veggies the entire day, and boxed pancake/biscuit mix making up the bulk of the meals? Lovely.

If the kids weren't growing they probably wouldn't even ASK for seconds of this crap.

God I find this woman so tiresome and sanctimonious. But her post about her sister's wedding brings up a point I've often wondered about--what is the root of the fundie pride in having a short engagement? She announces her three month engagement, but then says her sister "beat" her, because hers was only six weeks.

It's not as if you're dating, you're engaged. Wouldn't getting to know each other be a more godly priority than rushing to jump into bed together? Even from a less mature, more dramatic (i.e., typical SAHD) perspective, wouldn't the waiting and patience of a long engagement make your union that much more righteous and romantic in the big ol' book of Christian love stories?

ETA: I'm not actually trying to knock those with shorter engagements. I just don't understand the pride in them, as if one is a better Christian or more pure because of it.

Fundies take courtship so seriously and make their kids go through so much ritualistic rigmarole that by the time the engagement rolls around, the decision is made. You might even say that the courtship phase is analogous to a normal person's engagement phase. So the actual fundy "engagement" doesn't serve much purpose except to allow time for wedding planning.

And the wedding should take place as soon as possible so the couple can start pumping out babies as quickly as possible. Delaying the wedding means you're shortening the time you have to make babies, which is foolish and sinful!

I am so hoping those pictures aren't the way they drive around, she is showing the two girls in just seat belts in the far back bench of the car. Both should be in the bare minimum a booster, but even most of them are not suggested until 4 years old. In most places what she is doing is very illegal. Kids are supposed to be in safety seats or boosters to typically about 8 years old, those girls are 2 and 3. That is terrible.

I think they come of as dolls to her, there is so much about thrift and clothes and how they all look in clothes, but almost no substance about parenting or the kids personalities, they just seem like more Godly window dressing in her Christian life :( She seems a very shallow woman.

I am so hoping those pictures aren't the way they drive around, she is showing the two girls in just seat belts in the far back bench of the car. Both should be in the bare minimum a booster, but even most of them are not suggested until 4 years old. In most places what she is doing is very illegal. Kids are supposed to be in safety seats or boosters to typically about 8 years old, those girls are 2 and 3. That is terrible.

I think they come of as dolls to her, there is so much about thrift and clothes and how they all look in clothes, but almost no substance about parenting or the kids personalities, they just seem like more Godly window dressing in her Christian life :( She seems a very shallow woman.

Since the baby is strapped into a car seat behind them and they are strapped in with regular seat belts I suspect that they ride around like that.

She takes pictures of the clothes she wears to shop at the Goodwill. :shifty-kitty: And in the dress picture on that post it looks like a child is about to fall out of the buggy onto their head while she is snapping a photo of a dress she knew she didn't want to buy but still wanted to try on.

And who in their right mind takes three tiny children out to shop on Black Friday and then gets upset because nobody stops to assist with the children?

I think they come of as dolls to her

Yes, I think this post confirms that: littlehouseinthehills.blogspot.com/2012/11/were-not-having-more-kids-because.html

We're Not Having More Kids Because...

Recently, I was in conversation with a very nice lady who happened to ask me about our future plans regarding children.

"Are you wanting to have more children?" To which I replied, "Yes."

"Are you wanting to have another one soon after this one?" And I said, "Well, we were hoping to!"

Our little back-and-forth ended there, without her asking, "Why."

But if she would've asked why, here are a few reasons I would not have given her (though they're all good reasons, I'm sure ;))...

1. I want to have family photo shoots that look like THIS.

I mean, c'mon. These photos are awesome, are they not?!

2. I want our kids' bedroom to look like THIS.

Multiple bunk beds? Oh, yeah.

3. We've watched one too many epiosodes of the Duggars. :-)

4. I love shopping for kids' clothes!!

Besides, I think I've found some fairly nice girls' stuff in the 0-12 month category, which is almost all packed away by now. Wouldn't it be a shame to never bring those clothes out again? :-p

5. I love the names Desmond, Kate, Evangeline, Ephraim, Nathaniel, Cora, Caroline, Vivienne, Charles, Violet, Matthias, Joshua...the list goes on.

There's no way we could let those names go to waste!

Haha! So while all (or most) of these reasons have actually crossed my mind, this isn't really why we'll (Lord willing) be having more kids. I promise. ;)

Love that she lists all of these things with pics but then claims that that's not the real reason. But it has crossed her mind :roll:

Swell, screw their safety, health, actual needs, or deep love, cause all you really need is Gawd, cute clothes and shiny smiles remembered in Pin interest inspired, photographs. It a bit like That wife without the city life and humble life realizations. Oh, and That husbands chunky paycheck, that money never made that wife go gaga for free potatoes. Poor kids :(

Sometimes I get the impression some of these QF moms have some kind of pregnancy/baby fixation and religion just happens to be a handy way to deal with it that people aren't going to contest... she comes across as very young, very sheltered and basically being stuck in the doll house.

Now, we are all different and notions of personal happiness are very varied, but I struggle to imagine that a 24-yo who is studying, working, dating, travelling is really as "really" unhappy as fundies claim she's gonna be compared to one who had 3 kids in a row and is delighted to get potatoes for Christmas.

Biscuits and oranges as a lunch? It's the lunch dessert at my home! I find it specially wrong because after this "lunch" they diner the same. At least, she could cook a real diner with eggs, fish or meat. These children are not taking protein the whole day.

When my grandma was little, my country was poor, but people full their stomachs with REAL food, cheap food as cabbage, lentils, homemade soup... they gardened, they had pigs and chickens at home, it was hard but they could eat. This fundies doesn't know what sacrifice or frugality means. But what I find the most surprising is that they can't cook...it's their only job! I work and I'm not religious and I'm not married to my couple but I'm able to cook from.scratch, my meals are healthy. I haven't studied how to cook, just learn from my mom and some cook books. It's not so difficult!!!

Archived