IGNORED

What is happening in the LIAS house?

lilith

re: "... shocked at what babysitters earn these days?!"

I hate that. It's only because 'women's work' is so devalued that we should be shocked at what they earn.

(I recently ranted to a friend when she was talking about her daughter setting rates--this is supposed to be 'the' most important job. More important than shoveling snow/raking leaves/etc. If they wouldn't flinch to pay $50 to have someone spend 3 hours raking their lawn, they shouldn't blink at all about spending $60 to have someone spend 3 hours with their kids)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for Kaitlyn! Its good to see a teenage fundie girl going out and getting a job, instead of waiting at home for Prince Charming

I am fascinated by this family's situation. I feel sorry for the kids, but not really for Perry or even Kim. They have just been so smug.

So Perry is networking, now, huh? When he meets with female warehouse managers, I hope he isnt' wearing his charming Tshirt that reads "Nice story, baby. Now go make me a sandwich." Actually, I bet he is being very polite, friendly and nonsexist to any potential female employers he meets. He's in his mid-forties with many, many mouths to feed.

Sounds like they are in danger of losing their new house--I do feel bad for them about that. If they had stayed put in that home in the country they'd be in a much better situation, I suspect. What a shame they moved just before this happened, they probably have no equity in their home at all.

Babysitters around here make $10 a hour. If it's a late night, my teen daughter can make a lot of money babysitting. Compare $10/hour to what the Coghlin girls were probably making at VF--maybe $3 or $4 for underage teen workers? Of course, they were under their father's umbrella of protection, but isn't that a fallacy, really? How could Perry do his job and keep an eye on 4 or 5 teen girls roaming about his warehouse?

I am also fascinated by their situation. They have 2 mortgages-- relatives are living in their country house--and I also agree that they probably have no equity (or savings). And this really underscores the reality that Perry did not see the downfall of Vision Forum coming.

If I recall correctly, they also took a financial bath on some rental property up north (Ohio, perhaps?) when they moved back to Texas. Last month Kim posted that Perry probably had a couple months of temp. work lined up, but now it sounds he's just got temp jobs here and there. Their 2 oldest unmarried daughters (who are 16 or 17 and almost 19, I think) need to go get some sort of baby-sitting, pet-sitting or fast food jobs, pronto!

I hope hope hope that Kim doesn't get pregnant again anytime soon.

PS I am also fascinated that Kaitlyn--almost 19--is just now getting her drivers license.

Also, on the daughter's blog (fat short lean), the 16/17 year old one posted this on January 6: "I just lost my job last week"-- I don't know if that refers to working in the Vision Forum warehouse, or a regular babysitting job Kim C had talked about a couple of months ago.

I hope he isnt' wearing his charming Tshirt that reads "Nice story, baby. Now go make me a sandwich." Actually, I bet he is being very polite, friendly and nonsexist to any potential female employers he meets. He's in his mid-forties with many, many mouths to feed.

I hope he ends up with a female boss :D We'll see who's "making the sandwiches" then. :penguin-no:

Kim and Perry sold their old "country house" to Kim's brother. They don't have 2 mortgages then, just 1. On the to her hand, their Church is CHrist Covenant Church, based in Sant Antonio. May be they attended BCA ocasionally but that's not their Church.

re: "... shocked at what babysitters earn these days?!"

I hate that. It's only because 'women's work' is so devalued that we should be shocked at what they earn.

(I recently ranted to a friend when she was talking about her daughter setting rates--this is supposed to be 'the' most important job. More important than shoveling snow/raking leaves/etc. If they wouldn't flinch to pay $50 to have someone spend 3 hours raking their lawn, they shouldn't blink at all about spending $60 to have someone spend 3 hours with their kids)

Nice theory, except if the baby gets hurt and the sitter calls an ambulance, she's earning almost twice what the paramedic is.

Nice theory, except if the baby gets hurt and the sitter calls an ambulance, she's earning almost twice what the paramedic is.

My house cleaner charges $2.50 an hour more than what I'm making as a critical care paramedic. Don't even get me started on this.

Deanna cant drive yet either and she is married!

I don't know, Perry has posted a lot of "baby" related things on his fb lately. His lack of employment will not deter them in that area.

I don't feel sorry for them one bit, Kim could put them in public school, have her huge extended family help out with the little ones and she could work as well. How is their theology working for them now?

Kim and Perry sold their old "country house" to Kim's brother. They don't have 2 mortgages then, just 1. On the to her hand, their Church is CHrist Covenant Church, based in Sant Antonio. May be they attended BCA ocasionally but that's not their Church.

It's been a while since I read LiAS, but I seem to remember Kim posting about how the Phillips were wonderful people, blah blah blah, but that they went to a different church because they did not 100% share the same theology.

I stand corrected, atzavara, I didn't realize that they sold their old house--I just thought that their kinfolks were renting it from them.

Deanna cant drive yet either and she is married!

Wait, I distinctly remember that a couple of the older girls and Perry "went thirds" on a Mustang. How sad that they couldn't drive it, or at least not without an adult in the passenger seat. My parents have pulled many of the same stunts over the years - "Help us buy this and then someday it will be *yours*, but not until we've gotten several years of good use out of it!" - and it's just using your kids, plain and simple.

Here's the post to confirm that the girls helped buy it: inashoe.com/2012/05/the-trunk/

I also had a funny memory about the Mustang. How odd that these girls haven't gotten their licenses. Perhaps to cut down on car insurance costs?

Just noticed the daughters have a new post on their Short.Fat, Lean blog.

"Things are getting really insane here. Not super busy insane, just regular hectic, don’t know what’s happening or what to do insane. Sort of stressful and slow moving."

I feel for these girls.

Just noticed the daughters have a new post on their Short.Fat, Lean blog.

"Things are getting really insane here. Not super busy insane, just regular hectic, don’t know what’s happening or what to do insane. Sort of stressful and slow moving."

I feel for these girls.

For starters, it's probably not much fun having the likes of Perry around the house constantly. That guy seems like no fun whatsoever. Sure, there are some light-hearted sides to his personality, but I get the feeling he might have a pretty dark side, too.

Just noticed something odd in Perry's Facebook TV Likes: The Rachel Maddow Show. WTF?

Hmmm sounds like the Coghlans might be slipping out of the Patriarchy and into the mainstream....Next thing you know the lil ones will be in a real school and Kim will be entering the job market or going to college.

Hmmm sounds like the Coghlans might be slipping out of the Patriarchy and into the mainstream....Next thing you know the lil ones will be in a real school and Kim will be entering the job market or going to college.

Could birth control or (gulp) hospital births be far behind?

Just noticed something odd in Perry's Facebook TV Likes: The Rachel Maddow Show. WTF?

Maybe that's some sort of "keeping an eye on your enemy" kind of thing? Even if they were going more mainstream, I can't imagine going from VF to Rachel Maddow. But I also don't think they're going to go any more mainstream. The Coghlans are like third generation in the conservative patriarchy. They've actually learned how to pick their battles with a goal of maintaining their most important beliefs with their children. Letting them wear shorts in the middle of a TX summer or dye their hair crazy colors are no big deal as long as they (hopefully) continue to believe that treating ectopic pregnancy is abortion and wives must obey their husbands even when hubby is wrong. If they give their kids a little more leash, the kids are less likely to try and run away.

I hope if "God" leads them away from SA, they tell him thanks, but no thanks. They already did that thing where they own a house they can't sell but TOTALLY HAVE to move away from the area, and it really screwed them financially. I'm sure the kids would prefer not to go back to living in an RV or sleeping on shelving in a self-built shack. And they deserve at least that much security.

I keep hoping the oldest daughter will join up with "Homeschoolers Anonymous" and make a formal escape from the lifestyle. And take the little sisters with her.

I keep hoping the oldest daughter will join up with "Homeschoolers Anonymous" and make a formal escape from the lifestyle. And take the little sisters with her.

She's pretty entrenched in some pretty nasty ideas, and she and her husband still attend the same church as Kim and Perry. I don't see her leaving the lifestyle, especially as it seems she won't be burdened with a baby every 18 months.

Kim would never admit it, but I think she's depressed. She's verrrrry quiet.

On top of all the VF stress, I'm sure she's not happy that she isn't pregnant and that that "season" may be over for her and Perry.

I saw the pics on her FB. The majority of comments called it fake, to which she and another sister said it was real. The dad commented that he was surprised it took this long and that she only has one.

Shoe Girls gone Wild, I tell ya

Archived