IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars & More Duggars - General Discussion Part 3

happy atheist

I don't know why they used Jinger before J names that are actual names like Jennifer, Joy or Josie. I think her name suits her though, cause she seems to like looking different to everyone else so it makes sense for her to have the weirdest name (and when you think of ginger, you think of the colour orange, lol), but it just seems like one of those names that happen 15 J names later when they cant think of any more names.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know why they used Jinger before J names that are actual names like Jennifer, Joy or Josie. I think her name suits her though, cause she seems to like looking different to everyone else so it makes sense for her to have the weirdest name (and when you think of ginger, you think of the colour orange, lol), but it just seems like one of those names that happen 15 J names later when they cant think of any more names.

LOL, ITA! I know J'chelle said she just liked the name Ginger, but honestly, if you've decided to go with a name theme you've got to give up on names that don't go with that theme, not contort those names to fit.

They even ignored normal, biblical names like Judith and June (well, Junia, but June comes from the same source as Junia). I believe Julia is even in the Bible.

Also, Jacob - could never understand why they didn't use that, unless it has a bad association with them for some reason. Biblical hero + popular J name, you'd think it would've been a no brainer.

Some fundies don't like Jacob because it's associated with a mischievous personality, which they disapprove of. I... don't get it, but that is what I was told by a very fundie lady who was into ATI for a while.

Okay, I had to look up boy J names in the Bible that they could have used instead of some of the ones they did:

Jacob (though, to be fair, James comes from Jacob...oddly enough)

Jadon

Jared

Jeremy (instead of Jeremiah, so there weren't 3 -iah endings in the family in a row)

Job

Joel

Jonah

Judah/Jude

I think all of those are more "normal" than several of the names they chose.

I'm pretty sure that they were planning on naming Jackson Judah. I don't know what exactly changed their minds, but I think it was a good decision. :)

I don't particularly care for the name Jackson. I am irrationally annoyed at people naming their kids "anything"son, when the "anything" is not the name of either parent, nor is it a family name. It's weird, I know, but there it is.

I also don't like Jackson for the Duggars specifically for two other reasons: 1) all of their other boys have direct Biblical names, so to me the change to an indirect one is odd and 2) Jackson ultimately comes from the same Hebrew name as John, Jana, and Johannah, which is just odd to me.

I admit, I'm a bit of a "name snob", but I think names are important.

Some fundies don't like Jacob because it's associated with a mischievous personality, which they disapprove of. I... don't get it, but that is what I was told by a very fundie lady who was into ATI for a while.

That fundie lady hit the nose on the head! I have taught for ten years and every boy named Jacob; I nick-named "Jacob the Terrible!. Interestingly, if the parents gave him a nickname like Jake or Jack; the boy was wonderful!

That fundie lady hit the nose on the head! I have taught for ten years and every boy named Jacob; I nick-named "Jacob the Terrible!. Interestingly, if the parents gave him a nickname like Jake or Jack; the boy was wonderful!

Funny. Every child named Jack or Jackson I've ever met has been terrible, wild, crazy, and generally ill-behaved.

I'm pretty sure that they were planning on naming Jackson Judah. I don't know what exactly changed their minds, but I think it was a good decision. :)

Judah Benjamin was the original plan but changed to Jackson Levi. I've just rewatched 14K&C. There is a general joke amongst teachers to be careful of kids with J names, particularly boys, because their behaviour is likely to be bad. I remember Mum & my Aunty complaining about it when I was little ("I've got 3 Js in my class this year. How about you?") and we continue to complain now. It's a comment made to friends when they give a kid a J name too, as in "Are you really sure you want to risk a J name?". It was why I noticed the Duggars - they've got 17 J-kids! Aaargh! Of all the letters to choose ...?

Funny. Every child named Jack or Jackson I've ever met has been terrible, wild, crazy, and generally ill-behaved.

Well, there was that one kid named Jack that was sent to town to sell the family cow only to trade the cow for some magic beans. I think we all know how well that turned out.

It might have been the same guy named Jack who slew not one measly giant but a whole bunch during the reign of King Arthur.

Then there was the most notorious guy named Jack: Jack the Ripper.

If two children with J names counts as having a naming theme, then I am glad we chose two names the Duggars passed up. I have always been surprised they didnt use Jonathan, but I guess it is too close to John David.

Yes, I remember the episode where they voted on the name. The girls definitely wanted Jordyn Makiya and JB and Michelle were clearly not into it at all. They were all sitting in a circle discussing which names to put on the ballet, and when Joy said Jordyn Makiya, JB said something like, "Maybe not Mikaya." But that's the name the got the most votes so they went with it. I even remember when Michelle went into labor and JB said, "Here comes Jordyn Mikaya," and Michelle immediately said, "Jordyn GRACE Mikaya."

Is this the reason her parents seem disinterested in her? Because they don't like her name :cray-cray:

If they didn't like the name, I wonder why they didn't just veto the kids' vote?

Are you trying to apply LOGIC to the DUGGARS? :cray-cray:

If two children with J names counts as having a naming theme, then I am glad we chose two names the Duggars passed up. I have always been surprised they didnt use Jonathan, but I guess it is too close to John David.

Yes, that would be true with most people. However, the Duggars have a Jedediah and a Jeremiah, as well as Joy Anna and Johannah. They obviously don't have that much of a problem naming their kids similar names.

Oprah is an anagram of Oprah? :lol: I think your autocorrect disagrees.

There's a rumor I've heard about Oprah that's been floating around for years Supposedly, she was actually supposed to be named Orpah, but her name was spelled incorrectly on her birth certificate as "Oprah." Rather than worrying about making the change, her parents just decided to keep the name. I've heard that one repeatedly, but am not sure how much actual truth there is to it.

There's a rumor I've heard about Oprah that's been floating around for years Supposedly, she was actually supposed to be named Orpah, but her name was spelled incorrectly on her birth certificate as "Oprah." Rather than worrying about making the change, her parents just decided to keep the name. I've heard that one repeatedly, but am not sure how much actual truth there is to it.

Yes, I believe she has said this is true.

I don't particularly care for the name Jackson. I am irrationally annoyed at people naming their kids "anything"son, when the "anything" is not the name of either parent, nor is it a family name. It's weird, I know, but there it is.

I also don't like Jackson for the Duggars specifically for two other reasons: 1) all of their other boys have direct Biblical names, so to me the change to an indirect one is odd and 2) Jackson ultimately comes from the same Hebrew name as John, Jana, and Johannah, which is just odd to me.

I admit, I'm a bit of a "name snob", but I think names are important.

This just made me giggle a little.

I LOVE the name Jackson and the fiance and I plan to name our first son that. But it's 99.9% because Momma (me) is a bat shit crazy fangirl for Jackson Browne. He's the other man in my life :D

Her legal name is Orpah. Most people mispronounced her name so she called herself Oprah.

Judah Benjamin was the original plan but changed to Jackson Levi. I've just rewatched 14K&C. There is a general joke amongst teachers to be careful of kids with J names, particularly boys, because their behaviour is likely to be bad. I remember Mum & my Aunty complaining about it when I was little ("I've got 3 Js in my class this year. How about you?") and we continue to complain now. It's a comment made to friends when they give a kid a J name too, as in "Are you really sure you want to risk a J name?". It was why I noticed the Duggars - they've got 17 J-kids! Aaargh! Of all the letters to choose ...?

I wonder if that was after the Judah Benjamin who was a secretary of war, of state and I think of treasury for the Confederacy.

Do the weird names come from the practice of closing your eyes and pointing at a spot in the bible? I know a woman whose family did that and she wound up being named "Bridal Veil."

I wonder if that was after the Judah Benjamin who was a secretary of war, of state and I think of treasury for the Confederacy.

Do the weird names come from the practice of closing your eyes and pointing at a spot in the bible? I know a woman whose family did that and she wound up being named "Bridal Veil."

I just tried that and my finger landed on the word evil from Psalms 78:49-

He cast upon them the fierceness of his anger, wrath, and indignation, and trouble, by sending evil angels among them.

I guess it's a good think I'm an atheist and won't be using this naming method if I ever break down and give my mom any of the grandchildren she is desperate for.

In high school I had a Sikh friend whose sister and brother-in-law wanted to name their first child whether it be a boy or girl after me. Due to religious customs they had to use the first letter of the first word of a random holy scripture as the first letter of their child's name. When it came time to select the verse they didn't get the letter they wanted. They ended up having a girl and I think she has a beautiful name. Randomly picking letters like that sort of remind me of picking random words from the Bible except I think it leads to better chances that the child will end up getting a good name.

Am I understanding this correctly? Accepting that there is a heaven and a life-eternal, if you are a vile person, perhaps one who has killed or molested children, if you accept Jesus you are forgiven and get a pass into heaven. If you are a person who has lead an exemplary life, been charitable, honored your parents and are an all-around good person, you don't get into heaven if you don't accept Jesus as your savior. Perhaps JimBob would explain it to me because I don't get it.

This just made me giggle a little.

I LOVE the name Jackson and the fiance and I plan to name our first son that. But it's 99.9% because Momma (me) is a bat shit crazy fangirl for Jackson Browne. He's the other man in my life :D

LOL, as I say, I'm a bit of a snob, but I wouldn't say anything to anyone IRL. In fact, my aunt just gave her new daughter a "anything"son name, which makes bothers me even more because her daughter ain't a son! ;)

Am I understanding this correctly? Accepting that there is a heaven and a life-eternal, if you are a vile person, perhaps one who has killed or molested children, if you accept Jesus you are forgiven and get a pass into heaven. If you are a person who has lead an exemplary life, been charitable, honored your parents and are an all-around good person, you don't get into heaven if you don't accept Jesus as your savior. Perhaps JimBob would explain it to me because I don't get it.

I don't get it either, Becket70.

Archived