IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars & More Duggars - General Discussion Part 3

happy atheist

Several baby name sites said

Biblical Meaning:

The name Pelaiah is a Biblical baby name. In Biblical the meaning of the name Pelaiah is: The Lord's secret or miracle.

And were split about 50/50 on if it was a girl name or a boy name.

I can't figure out a good way to pronounce it. I keep thinking of Captain Correlli's Mandolin - Pe-la-GIA. But ... Pe-la-eye-ah?

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully no children were harmed during the guest house construction. I also remember the little kids with power tools at the TTH(!) and I believe it was Josiah running the sewer line between his legs.

They might prefer to go out together for their birthday meal. I can't think of a reason why they'd want to go out separately...

- Edited to run sewer line (vs. fuel).

I can think of a lot of reasons... Without knowing them personally I can't say for sure how they would feel, but I know how I would've felt if I had to share my birthday. And I know it always bothered my mom. She is not a twin, but her little sister was born on her birthday, 7 years later. Weird, I know.

My brother and I were born demecember 29 (me) and dec 26. I'm very grateful mom made the effort to give us different birthday celebrations, even though It meant more work for her.

I'm nkt It saying the duggar twins do feel the way I do, but I don't agree that there's no reason for them to want separate celebrations.

Several baby name sites said

Biblical Meaning:

The name Pelaiah is a Biblical baby name. In Biblical the meaning of the name Pelaiah is: The Lord's secret or miracle.

And were split about 50/50 on if it was a girl name or a boy name.

Knowing absolutely nothing about the bible, I looked it up--biblesuite.com/p/pelaiah-- and it seems they all were guys. So maybe she'll get to wear pants.

It is quite common to use biblical male names for girls, at least in my community. I know several Makiya/Makaiah's and they are all female even though the biblical character was male. Micah is split about 50/50 amongst my kids friends. Jesse is quite common for girls here. I could list many others but that would get boring. The use of Pelaiah for a girl doesn't surprise me at all.

I can't figure out a good way to pronounce it. I keep thinking of Captain Correlli's Mandolin - Pe-la-GIA. But ... Pe-la-eye-ah?

My guess is that it's pronounced Pel-EYE-ah like Mariah.

My birthday is on the 16th, my sister's is on the 11th of the same month. One year my parents had a party for both of us but everybody including my friends thought it was for my sister and ignored me. So, I can feel for Jordyn, shared birthdays really suck.

It is quite common to use biblical male names for girls, at least in my community. I know several Makiya/Makaiah's and they are all female even though the biblical character was male. Micah is split about 50/50 amongst my kids friends. Jesse is quite common for girls here. I could list many others but that would get boring. The use of Pelaiah for a girl doesn't surprise me at all.

Makiya is a name?

I thought Jordyn got that middle name because one of her teenage sisters suggested it. It seems like some sort of trendy baby name that a teen mom would think of.

Definitely a name but being Duggars they gave a boys name to a girl and changed the spelling. Actually makes Jinger look quite normal.

Which Duggar girl has a boy's name? Are you referring to Jordyn? There are many females named Jordan/Jordyn... It's quite common.

You need to reread a bit ... Lol. Jordyn's middle name Makiya is a biblical name, Macaiah but a man. If you read above you will see we were talking about how so many biblical male names, Macaiah & Pelaiah included are now used for girls.

Makiya is a name?

I thought Jordyn got that middle name because one of her teenage sisters suggested it. It seems like some sort of trendy baby name that a teen mom would think of.

Yes, I remember the episode where they voted on the name. The girls definitely wanted Jordyn Makiya and JB and Michelle were clearly not into it at all. They were all sitting in a circle discussing which names to put on the ballet, and when Joy said Jordyn Makiya, JB said something like, "Maybe not Mikaya." But that's the name the got the most votes so they went with it. I even remember when Michelle went into labor and JB said, "Here comes Jordyn Mikaya," and Michelle immediately said, "Jordyn GRACE Mikaya."

Mikaya sounds like something they made up. They named her Jordyn-Grace, but always call her Jordyn. Boob wanted to name Jordyn Julie so badly. Too bad they won't have any more kids, so he can finally get his Julie.

I'm fine with all kinds of names, including ones that go back and forth between genders over the years.

But it is interesting to think about these fundies, with their rigid gender roles, being flexible (or just thoughtless or uneducated) about naming their child with a name that traditionally, even Biblically, "belonged" to the other sex.

If they did it without a clue, then had it pointed out to them, I wonder who among them would shrug, who would freak out, who would have a twisted exegesis to explain why it is OK, or what other reactions might there be?

Obscure Biblical names seem to be a big thing among some conservative Protestants. The most famous example of this would be Oprah, whose is an anagram of Orpah, a minor character in the book of Ruth.

I'm fine with all kinds of names, including ones that go back and forth between genders over the years.

But it is interesting to think about these fundies, with their rigid gender roles, being flexible (or just thoughtless or uneducated) about naming their child with a name that traditionally, even Biblically, "belonged" to the other sex.

If they did it without a clue, then had it pointed out to them, I wonder who among them would shrug, who would freak out, who would have a twisted exegesis to explain why it is OK, or what other reactions might there be?

When Smugs and Anna used Marcus Anthony, there was a lot of shrugged shoulders and basically admitting the two were ignorant and a lot of "they chose the names for the meaning, not the history". No fundie or leghumper seemed to freak out from what I could tell.

But then again, look at poor Michael's twisted name history. Born Michal, changed because the Biblical character wasn't a good role model (for what reason, never really stated), called Michaella people were confusing her with a boy, and then finally settled on Michael.

To me it's just another mark of their overall ignorance and lack of thought regarding the individuality and personhood of their children.

Mikaya sounds like something they made up. They named her Jordyn-Grace, but always call her Jordyn. Boob wanted to name Jordyn Julie so badly. Too bad they won't have any more kids, so he can finally get his Julie.

I was with Jim Bob on preferring Julie over Jordyn (especially since they spelled it wrong).

Obscure Biblical names seem to be a big thing among some conservative Protestants. The most famous example of this would be Oprah, whose is an anagram of Orpah, a minor character in the book of Ruth.

Oprah is an anagram of Oprah? :lol: I think your autocorrect disagrees.

Oprah is an anagram of Oprah? :lol: I think your autocorrect disagrees.

I think you're reading her comment wrong... ;)

I was with Jim Bob on preferring Julie over Jordyn (especially since they spelled it wrong).

I'm surprised they never used Julie. It just seems so obvious, more so than Jinger or Johannah, and better than have a Joseph, a Josiah and a Josie.

Also, Jacob - could never understand why they didn't use that, unless it has a bad association with them for some reason. Biblical hero + popular J name, you'd think it would've been a no brainer.

I can think of many more normal J names they could have used than some of the ones they did, ones that wouldn't have sounded like names they'd already used or were derived from the same source.

Archived