IGNORED

Lay off Josh Duggar's Weight?

luv2laugh

This is neither here nor there, but why do people keep calling Josh "pasty"? Isn't it better than being some redneck leathered up by the sun? Why is being pale equated to sickly?

This is neither here nor there, but why do people keep exaggerating about how other people post?

I just searched the word "pasty". Other than the direct quote above you, ONE other person used the term pasty in reference to Josh:

(When it was suggested that Josh wear a dress)

Just as long as it's not a kilt; there's nothing defrauding about pasty knees.

ONE. That's it. There were 8 other individual, unique posts that used the word pasty, 5 of which either referred to the posters themselves or what they like in a mate. Here's a link to the search, so you can check for yourself if you don't believe me. My post will be in there too, now, but I'm not counting it in my numbers.

Just as several people up thread implied that Smuggar's weight is ALL people snark on anymore, on a board with 45,525 posts, people DON'T keep on calling Josh pasty, just like every post about him isn't a potshot at his weight. Two posts. That's it.

This is why threads like these are so insulting. One or two people make comments about someone or something that posters find in poor taste or offensive, and suddenly the entire board needs to be chastised for their posting style. And I will, without fail, continue to call threads like this out for being insulting, whether that's the popular opinion or not.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

I've never seen Smuggar close up, but am chipping in to say that, in my neck of the woods, pasty-faced means unhealthy looking and sallow, whereas a pale complexion is simply untanned.

I has a pasty-faced roomate in college. He spent most of his daylight hours in a computer lab, and lived on junk food to the point that his complexion was not white, or pale, it was nearly translucent! :P

I for one have never made an issue of anyone's weight, even of Josh Duggar's, since I find his treatment of his wife far more appalling (kissing Anna incessantly to prevent her from talking to some one else, having her giving birth filmed and broadcast despite her modesty and the Duggar's claims of modesty, saying how Anna is good at swallowing, not letting her read her own pregnancy test results, etc, etc)than his outward appearance.

His weight is one of the things I genuinely feel sorry for him about, actually. It speaks volumes of how small the portions, and how unhealthy the food must have been in the Duggar Household. In all likelihood, because Josh and his siblings probably left the table still hungry (for unhealthy items like Tater Tot Casserole, Hash Brown Casserole etc), their appetites far from sated with healthier food (no tossed garden green salads topped with tomatoes ripened on the vine. baked potatoes, or brown rice), Josh probably learned nothing about portion sizes or acquired the taste for tasty, nutritious foods. So whilst still craving for more of the unhealthy food he was accustomed to, he ate far more of them than he should have once he moved out. I think he has many years of issues to work through, and that is why whilst I utterly dislike him, I'll not say anything about his weight.

As for the certain "fatophobic" poster who apparently delights in telling people to shut up, or to engage in sex acts in a most hostile fashion, it would be prudent to ignore him/her, as he/she likely has issues which none of us can remedy. Who knows, one of the fatties he/she seems to despise so much may have not returned his/her affections (or hammered him/her stoutly for being told to shut up and sit in a corner for something in real life) and called him/her out for his/her shortcomings in personality and now he/she feels the need to come on Free Jinger and project it on others.

As for the certain "fatophobic" poster who apparently delights in telling people to shut up, or to engage in sex acts in a most hostile fashion, it would be prudent to ignore him/her, as he/she likely has issues which none of us can remedy. Who knows, one of the fatties he/she seems to despise so much may have not returned his/her affections (or hammered him/her stoutly for being told to shut up and sit in a corner for something in real life) and called him/her out for his/her shortcomings in personality and now he/she feels the need to come on Free Jinger and project it on others.

:lol: :violin:

Aw, I know Fr. Mulcahy, but couldn't resist trolling the troll. I will try to be more mature. But it is Monday, I am somewhat grumpy and needed the amusement. I will refrain from further troll-baiting, lest I be adjured to attempt sexual congress with a revolving toroidal fried pastry.

Edited for quote fail

I've never seen Smuggar close up, but am chipping in to say that, in my neck of the woods, pasty-faced means unhealthy looking and sallow, whereas a pale complexion is simply untanned.

I has a pasty-faced roomate in college. He spent most of his daylight hours in a computer lab, and lived on junk food to the point that his complexion was not white, or pale, it was nearly translucent! :P

Works for me. My face has never tanned, yet I just had small lesion removed from my overly sun-exposed shoulders. There is a difference between the healthy glow of alabaster skin (which is my face and the skin that never got sun exposure) and that of someone who doesn't easily tan, but also eats junk food; the skin just has an unhealthy look to it. Smuggar has the look of the latter and if I were to guess, just based on the food he posts on his facebook, his diet is loaded with sodium, which gives him the majority of his bloat.

The RDA for sodium has been lowered to 1500 mcg/day (about a teaspoon). Studies that are readily accessible (that I read when I was considering a career change to become a dietitian) reveal that the average American consumes about 3x what they should.

I find absolutely nothing wrong posting about Josh Duggar's obviously poor eating habits which have led to his current state of near-obesity. As I and others have said, it would be another story if he had a metabolic issue, but his only issue is the inability to put down the fork and push the plate away. As someone who has sought the spotlight when he could have married and walked away from the Duggar circus, who positions himself as being above us mere mortals, he is a prime target for snark.

Troll?! :lol: I've been a member of Free Jinger since March 2010 (back when it was through YUKU). I'm accused of being "fat phobic" and "despising fat people" when the only potentially "mean" thing I've said was that being overweight was not the same as being born disabled.

I also find it rather ironic that I'm the one to be called a troll by someone who tells me to "go eat a donut" in a thread where people are talking about weight issues.

Guest Anonymous
Can I have a donut? :mrgreen:

Greedy girl - NO! Or you'll end up fat AND pasty-faced! :lol:

(says anniec, who doesn't eat sweet things with alcohol, and is pleasingly 1/2 way through a bottle of Tesco Finest Garnacha)

Can I have a donut? :mrgreen:

Sure - glazed, frosted, or vegan? :animals-cat:

Edited because I am still figuring out how to do images on the new board

Guest Anonymous

One of my aunties used to make doughnuts with canned biscuits. She would cut the middle out with a 2 liter soda bottle cap and deep fry them. Then she covered them with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.

They had to be incredibly bad for me because they're made from pure trash, but holy crap those things were delicious.

One of my aunties used to make doughnuts with canned biscuits. She would cut the middle out with a 2 liter soda bottle cap and deep fry them. Then she covered them with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.

They had to be incredibly bad for me because they're made from pure trash, but holy crap those things were delicious.

OMG - one of my older brothers learned this recipe on a camping trip and then for an entire summer, made them 2-3 times a week as a before bed snack. Have not thought about this for years but your mention brings back the smell and taste of fried biscuit in cinnamon and sugar, and also a bunch of other sense memories of a hot, humid, Midwestern summer with locusts buzzing and fireflies in the back yard...

I don't mind doughnuts, but I'd rather have a brownie. Anyone care to join me?

I don't mind doughnuts, but I'd rather have a brownie. Anyone care to join me?

Can I have both?!?

Can I have both?!?

Sure! Why not?

Wait...don't listen to me--that's how I got myself in this position in the first place. :lol:

This is neither here nor there, but why do people keep exaggerating about how other people post?

I just searched the word "pasty". Other than the direct quote above you, ONE other person used the term pasty in reference to Josh:

(When it was suggested that Josh wear a dress)

ONE. That's it. There were 8 other individual, unique posts that used the word pasty, 5 of which either referred to the posters themselves or what they like in a mate. Here's a link to the search, so you can check for yourself if you don't believe me. My post will be in there too, now, but I'm not counting it in my numbers.

Just as several people up thread implied that Smuggar's weight is ALL people snark on anymore, on a board with 45,525 posts, people DON'T keep on calling Josh pasty, just like every post about him isn't a potshot at his weight. Two posts. That's it.

This is why threads like these are so insulting. One or two people make comments about someone or something that posters find in poor taste or offensive, and suddenly the entire board needs to be chastised for their posting style. And I will, without fail, continue to call threads like this out for being insulting, whether that's the popular opinion or not.

This was not a comment about "how other people post." This was an honest question about a word choice that I didn't understand, that I feel I frequently see used in a negative way, and I'm pretty sure has been in reference to Josh. I'm not sure if I've seen it cumulatively in one place - might have been TWOP, might have been over the years at FJ (since you've been here since OMG 2010, I am sure you realize how silly doing a search over a few months looks), but since I wasn't intending to hand-slap or condemn the word choice it's not really important if it's been used here or in relation to Josh. I chose to ask about it here since it had just been used and it reminded me. I could have just as easily included only the last sentence of my post, I suppose.

(since you've been here since OMG 2010, I am sure you realize how silly doing a search over a few months looks),

My point was in over 45,500 posts only TWO people ever called him pasty, yet you went and got your panties in a twist over a perceived negative comment. Your exact words were, "Why do people keep calling Josh pasty?" but that's not the case at all. One person in this thread and one person who said he had "pasty knees" in another, does not mean that people keep calling Josh pasty, just like a few people commenting on his weight does not mean people keep calling him fat.

Panties in a twist is a pretty severe statement over what was a generally neutral comment.

eta: Just speaking in general, not in specific, I've noticed a transition on this board from 'snark' to 'jump out and bite your face off hostility'. I usually take a break (I've been around a while, as well) when things go to the No Fun side of things. It just seems to be especially pernicious recently.

My point was in over 45,500 posts only TWO people ever called him pasty, yet you went and got your panties in a twist over a perceived negative comment. Your exact words were, "Why do people keep calling Josh pasty?" but that's not the case at all. One person in this thread and one person who said he had "pasty knees" in another, does not mean that people keep calling Josh pasty, just like a few people commenting on his weight does not mean people keep calling him fat.

Keeperrox, I'm pretty sure the "OMG 2010" was in reference to my post about being an FJ Member since March 2010--cause, a person who's been involved with a message board for over a year and has actively contributed to other discussions that haven't been as controversial is totally a troll who's only here to cause dissent ;)

Here's my attempt to cause even more: FairyTale Brownies are the best!

Keeperrox, I'm pretty sure the "OMG 2010" was in reference to my post about being an FJ Member since March 2010--cause, a person who's been involved with a message board for over a year and has actively contributed to other discussions that haven't been as controversial is totally a troll who's only here to cause dissent ;)

Yeah, I was confused about that, because I've lurked on FJ over at Yuku since the beginning, and started posting well before 2010. Plus, it still didn't negate my point that only .00004% of all posts here referenced Josh as pasty and one of those were about his knees.

Guest Anonymous
Panties in a twist is a pretty severe statement over what was a generally neutral comment.

eta: Just speaking in general, not in specific, I've noticed a transition on this board from 'snark' to 'jump out and bite your face off hostility'. I usually take a break (I've been around a while, as well) when things go to the No Fun side of things. It just seems to be especially pernicious recently.

I hear ya. That's kind of what I was trying to get at earlier. :think:

Oh hey, you're right, I did conflate your posts. Whoops. I would edit my mistake but instead I will OWN it. :angry-chillpill: :dance: :auto-crash: :banana-parachute: :character-jason: :orcs-cheers:

Archived