IGNORED

Lay off Josh Duggar's Weight?

luv2laugh

The ability or non-ability to lose weight isn't really the problem, though. There are a lot of complicated issues we snark on here. I'm curious as to why weight should be off-limits when other complicated issues (like for example Dougie's apparent sexuality) are fine.

For the record, I don't snark on that either

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are lots of people who can't lose weight. That's actually quite common, and it's not all about lack of initiative.

Bull. I have NEVER heard of someone who couldn't loose any weight. All people have the capacity to lose weight, even if it's only one or two pounds. You take someone who says they can't lose weight and stop feeding them for a couple of weeks, and I'm sure the pounds would come flying off (and that's not to say I think that would be a wise decision to make).

It is about initiative. The initiative to discover the proper amount of food intake, and exercise you need to do, for your body and type in order to lose weight and then maintain it.

I've tried to stay out of this discussion, but justlurking, the latest medical research backs up Rachel333's claim. I'll try and get you some references when I have time, in the next few days.

Mmm, weight is a complicated issue, though. It's looking more and more that weight is something that is, for the most part, pretty set. It often isn't something you can change. I also don't mean to say that being fat is like being disabled, just that a disability is something that's considered unacceptable to mock (for the most part; some people will always be jerks), and I wish it was also unacceptable to mock weight. I felt differently a few years ago, but reading a lot of feminist websites and fat acceptance sites, as well as things I've encountered in my own life, has changed my mind.

I know people here are still going to make fun of fat people, and I can handle it. I just wanted to take the opportunity to talk about why I don't think it's okay.

I used to read a lot of fat acceptance websites too, and while I agree the BMI scale is BS, things like "Health at Every Size" have merit, and that diets don't work, I don't think they're right on their ideas that everyone who's fat in America is meant to be that way and always was. Even everyone in America ate a healthy junk food free diet and ran 2 miles a day we'd still have the same number of people who are classified as overweight and obese. I just can't accept that.

When cultures adopt eating habits similar to ours their weight tends to go up. States in the US were people diets are higher in cards and fat (soul food) have higher weights, poor areas with little access to fresh food and dozens of fast food places have higher average weights. When I stop watching what I eat my weight goes up (just a bit, but still)

It's not that I really blame people for their weight, the kind of culture we've set up makes it almost impossible for most people to eat right and has us sitting down all day :/

The ability or non-ability to lose weight isn't really the problem, though. There are a lot of complicated issues we snark on here. I'm curious as to why weight should be off-limits when other complicated issues (like for example Dougie's apparent sexuality) are fine.

Exactly.

I'll go even further and say that if someone commenting on Smuggar's weight hurts your feelings (a collective your... this is not directed towards any member here) then that's a self-esteem issue, not a weight issue. I know they often go hand in hand, but this fat girl could care less if someone here blasts Smuggar for his weight.

I've tried to stay out of this discussion, but justlurking, the latest medical research backs up Rachel333's claim. I'll try and get you some references when I have time, in the next few days.

Yawn. Don't bother unless you can provide evidence of people who have never been able to lose a single pound in their entire life before (I would assume these people would have to be a good 5,000 pounds or more if they have managed to get to adulthood without losing any weight--if they've managed to live that long).

That said, and to get back to the original point of this post, Josh obviously would not be one of those people who "can't lose weight". His recent weight gain has been due to lifestyle choices he has made. If he so chose, I'm sure he would be able to lose that extra weight and get back into a range appropriate for his height and body structure.

Exactly.

I'll go even further and say that if someone commenting on Smuggar's weight hurts your feelings (a collective your... this is not directed towards any member here) then that's a self-esteem issue, not a weight issue. I know they often go hand in hand, but this fat girl could care less if someone here blasts Smuggar for his weight.

It doesn't hurt my feelings, I just think it's wrong.

Obviously his weight gain is due to a sedentary life style plus high carb/high fat diet. If he cut back on the pasta and ran ten or so miles a week the weight would surely come off. I take it that his nutritional upbringing wasn't full of fresh veggies and fruits and lean meats or frequent exercise, and now age has caught up with him a bit too. What will he look like at 40 if he continues to make no changes? I lost 45 lbs and have kept it off for more than a year by excluding refined white flour from my diet, and walking 20 miles per week. I eat as many calories as I want but keep my carb count to 100 net grams per day or less. And I'm 43, not in my 20's. Oh and as for BMI, it is BS. According to my doc since I'm 5'2 the charts say i should be 120 or less, but since I'm 130 and wear a size 5 I'm close to obese for my height. Whatever.

Yawn. Don't bother unless you can provide evidence of people who have never been able to lose a single pound in their entire life before (I would assume these people would have to be a good 5,000 pounds or more if they have managed to get to adulthood without losing any weight--if they've managed to live that long).

That said, and to get back to the original point of this post, Josh obviously would not be one of those people who "can't lose weight". His recent weight gain has been due to lifestyle choices he has made. If he so chose, I'm sure he would be able to lose that extra weight and get back into a range appropriate for his height and body structure.

So, maybe while we're snarking - let's look at the plank in your eye. Maybe you should take some time off from snarking other people while you examine your own fatphobic and size discriminatory beliefs.

If any of you are under 150lbs and are all " its your fault your fat,you damn fatty quit eating McDonalds" I am going to have to come hurt someone.( Keep in mind I just went off my diet last night and am also "on the moon" so I could snap at any time.)

I have been on a strict diet for 2 months. No sugar,no wheat, no processed foods, no caffeine,low carbs,MILLING MY OWN DAMN FLOUR from oats and organic brown rice, 10 glasses of water a day and yoga and training for the C25K every other day without fail. Before that I did the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred while also watching my food. I haven't lost a pound so I am someone who has a fabulous diet and does exercise and I do NOT lose weight at all.

Now get back to smugger and his fat,bald ass(and I am bald too!) so I can go get a pint of Ben and Jerry's and have new posts to read when I return.

It doesn't hurt my feelings, I just think it's wrong.

Then I obviously wasn't talking about you. Several posters did say the comments were hurtful and that is what I was referring to.

So, maybe while we're snarking - let's look at the plank in your eye. Maybe you should take some time off from snarking other people while you examine your own fatphobic and size discriminatory beliefs.

Jencendiary, go sit down some place. If you can't handle the snark, then get the fuck off the board! That said, I haven't said one thing is this thread OR the thread that was about Josh Duggar that could even remotely be construed as "fatphobic" or "size discriminatory". In fact, if you had even bothered to READ any of my posts you would have seen that I said I didn't think it was right to harass people because of their weight issues.

Next!

Just wondering if there are any overweight people here who think it's OK to snark on Josh's weight.

Me. I have had weight issues all my life and I would jostle anyone out of the way to be the first to call Josh Smuggar a fat fuck. He is fat, and he's a fuck, and I don't have a problem with calling a spade a spade.

Guest Anonymous

I just lost 36 lbs. Unloading post menopausal weight takes discipline and determination. I bike 12 miles a day on the wheel of torture and then do 30 minutes of resistance training.

Its pretty devastating to go from a size 8 to a sixteen in a matter of months. My self esteem and overall health would not permit me to stay that way.

I don't think I've ever heard of a person who could not lose weight. Yes, genetics can play a role when it comes to weight and what is ideal for each person's body size and frame, but when you talk about someone being overweight it is because their weight exceeds what should be their average BMI. Believe me, those extra pounds CAN be dropped if the person takes the initiative to do so--just ask Jennifer Hudson.

Thanks to the meds I'm on I have gained 100 pounds. I can't stop taking my meds or I would be in a hospital fighting to stay alive. And yeah, with this depression I would be fighting to stay alive. I also take other meds that cause weight gain to control my pain and pcos. All my meds cause massive weight gain. I can lose the weight but watching what I eat and exercise for an hour everyday isn't going to make me lose a pound. I have eat less than 1200 calories and exercise at a high level for at least 3 hours to lose even one pound a week. Yeah, I can lose it but it isn't as easy as you think.

Also I met a person who was far worse and they couldn't exercise at all. I've met many like that while volunteering. They are going to die from what their illness and/or meds are doing to them. Can you imagine having an illness that keeps you from being able to function and the meds make you gain weight? Getting dressed is more exercise than your body can handle and walking is out of the question. There are people like that. Rare but not as rare as one would think.

eta word change as I'm not trying to sever anything. :doh:

Me. I have had weight issues all my life and I would jostle anyone out of the way to be the first to call Josh Smuggar a fat fuck. He is fat, and he's a fuck, and I don't have a problem with calling a spade a spade.

That would be me as well. I gained weight in college, and it's been and up and down battle all of my adult life. I have a very active job at this point in my life. I'm approaching middle age (not quite to 40 yet) and it's getting harder and hard to loose weight.

Yet, I don't think my comments have been particularly snarky towards Josh. He's gained a lot of weight in just a few years. Meanwhile, his wife has gone through two pregnancies and breastfeeding and has managed to keep a nicer figure than he has.

Something ain't right there. Perhaps it's all the fast food he posts about. Dude needs to wake up or he's going to end up having a heart attack before 40.

Yet, I don't think my comments have been particularly snarky towards Josh. He's gained a lot of weight in just a few years. Meanwhile, his wife has gone through two pregnancies and breastfeeding and has managed to keep a nicer figure than he has.

I've lost 25 lbs beyond the weight I gained during my pregnancy from breastfeeding so Anna might have had a similar reaction to the increased demand to her body. That said I still think Anna takes better care of herself and doesn't gorge as much as Smugger and she's actually up and moving around with the kids while he's napping.

For what it's worth, I'm not a huge fan of the weight snark, either. It just seems like it's hitting below the belt.

Unless we know for sure that he gives Anna or any other female a hard time about weight...if that's the case, then it's game on! :banana-dance:

The bottom line is that there's so many valid points of criticism: his apparent lack of ambition and delusions of grandeur, his ridiculous family, the fact that he owns a car lot in an old Taco Tico - seriously, the jokes write themselves. Fat jokes are just low-hanging fruit and reflect poorly on the joker instead of the subject of the joke.

For what it's worth, I'm not a huge fan of the weight snark, either. It just seems like it's hitting below the belt.

Unless we know for sure that he gives Anna or any other female a hard time about weight...if that's the case, then it's game on! :banana-dance:

I agree with both sentences above!

I think generally, if someone's overweight--especially if they gained weight really fast--it means there's something wrong inside (emotionally, psychologically, etc.). That's if it isn't a physical problem, of course. I really, REALLY wish it was as simple to lose it and keep it off as some of you seem to think.

I've lost 25 lbs beyond the weight I gained during my pregnancy from breastfeeding so Anna might have had a similar reaction to the increased demand to her body.

OMG, breastfeeding was the best diet I was ever on. I should have just kept lactating - maybe I could have been hired as a wetnurse :D I could have literally eaten a cheesecake a day when I nursing the twins. It was the only time in my life where I had to work to keep weight on - believe me, normally, the weight comes on when I'm not looking. *sigh*

I also agree with the poster that noted the irony of some posters believing its okay to mock Dougie & crew about their closeted gay lifestyles, but then getting offended when somebody makes a fat joke. You can't change being gay, but you can change being fat---so what gives?

I can't answer for anyone else, but, to me, the jokes about Doug have nothing to do with thinking he is gay -- I would not be surprised to find out that he is 100% straight.

It's because Doug holds himself up as a paragon of manliness, dignity, historical knowledge, marriage and family, and then is effeminate (or faux-butch), undignified, and seems to spend more time with his dress-up boys (dressing inaccurately) than his family.

He seems to make himself a walking joke, about the very things that are his own supposed areas of strength.

I don't snark on Josh's weight (well, other than submitting my version of the chickenetti LOL, but that was more because I like my parody a certain way! :lol: ).

But I might be more likely to mock him on that count, if he was someone who went on and on about health and exercise and staying slim.

I guess, for me, it's the idea that the self-righteousness is so specifically hypocritical that brings out the "well, now this person really deserves it."

YMMV.

OMG, breastfeeding was the best diet I was ever on. I should have just kept lactating - maybe I could have been hired as a wetnurse :D I could have literally eaten a cheesecake a day when I nursing the twins. It was the only time in my life where I had to work to keep weight on - believe me, normally, the weight comes on when I'm not looking. *sigh*

My son is starting to wean now so I'm gaining back some of the weight I lost. I'm really missing the really pigging out and finding out I lost weight.

My son is starting to wean now so I'm gaining back some of the weight I lost. I'm really missing the really pigging out and finding out I lost weight.

Those were the days, get to eat like everyday was Thanksgiving and still lose 2-3 pounds a week.

My phone ate my post.

So, since I can't breastfeed or get pregnant, would you all please stop talking about pregnancy and BF? Sounds silly; sarcasm. If it offends me, I stop reading.

Posts about pet fundies, like Meredith and Kristina of the ruler, and Autumn are still believers of the same stuff that makes me come here, make me uncomfortable, but I don't demand y'all stop posting about how nice it is that Autumn's parents "took her back", when the ultimately put her there, or about how "klassy" Meredith is in her wedding pics. Still fundies! Sure they can play nice occasionally, but most of them think I am going to he'll, which is a far worse sentiment than "Smuggar, lay off the chickenetti.

Let's agree to disagree on "appropriateness", and move on to the real issues: antifeminism, patriarchy, child hoarding and beating, and freaky trends like having kids sleep in precarious places....and captions on Vision Forum pix!

Archived