IGNORED

Lay off Josh Duggar's Weight?

luv2laugh

This is pretty much my position, too. There's enough meat for the roasting (please pardon the expression) in relation to the attitudes & opinions & general incompetence of the Smuggar Family that weight seems like a trivial and limited snark subject.

Also, "LOL UR FAT" is the last refuge of people who don't have anything funny to say

I don't think anyone sying lol ur fat or eww gross or anything.

Most of the weight related snark for him seems to be surrounding his lifestyle with his eating out all the time, their lack of knowledge about how to cook and eat, etc., all tied into the bigger things you've mentioned.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Generally, if you edit a post you state the reason for doing so. Since that has not happened this post is in response to the OP's post as of its fifth editting.

Snarking on weight has been discussed on this board before. Although I am not sure if snarking on Josh's weight specifically has come up, I know it has been discussed in relation to ZsuZsu. The general consensus on that issue is.... disagreement. Much like in this thread some people think it is fair game while others think it is not and that is generally as far as the discussion goes. I was going to say more but I have just noticed all the things above people's posts (the part that says Re: Title of Thread) is different. Has that been editted too?? Lay off Josh Duggar a little? Lay off Josh Duggar? Lay off Josh Duggar's weight? I say we lay off the editting.

I'm glad someone brought this up. It makes me uncomfortable when people snark about Josh's weight. I don't see why that has to be an issue. I also think that there is a trend on this board to tie it to his perceived laziness, which also makes me uncomfortable. Fat phobia isn't cool. I feel the same why when people are sexist when talking about Michelle Bachmann (in general, I haven't seen that at this particular board). Hating on or snarking about someone who you find objectionable doesn't give you the right to devolve into sexist, fat phobic, ableist, homophobic, etc language.

As stated by other posters, there's so much to criticize about Josh that his weight pales in comparison with his other flaws. We're talking about the husband who took a nap while his wife was in the final stages of labor, who watched his new bride carry his luggage to their hotel room on their wedding night and who made fun of his wife's fear of heights while forcing her and their young daughter to ride a ferris wheel.

I also agree wtih the prior poster who noted that under the Duggar worldview, thinness is required for females but apparently not for males. This should make his weight gain fair game.

Josh got fat. He once wasn't, so people are going to comment on it. Plus, he's a smug, hypocritical douchebag. Get the fuck over it, don't read the threads about Josh, or leave. What's so hard to see about that?

Additionally, you might want to check the forum rules again: By joining this board, you acknowledge that people here will use VERY BAD LANGUAGE and possibly express opinions derogatory towards certain fringe groups. You are fully aware that most of us are making fun of the freaks and fruitcakes that drop litters of children. You are here because you're fascinated by the societal currents that give rise to these whackjobs. If you ARE one of these whackjobs, be aware of what you're stepping into and stop crying.

ETA: This whole thread reminds me of the "Be Nice to CJ" thread. I don't take well to hand slapping, even when I've never responded to threads about the topic being whined about.

I too wish we could stop making fun of Josh Duggar's weight. There are MANY of us here with weight issues, and these threads are hurtful.

This isn't about Josh. I don't think there's anyone here who doesn't think he's an asshole. I'm just not okay with making fun of people's weight no matter what the reason, and it really bothers me that it's still acceptable to do so. When someone makes fun of Josh's weight, it's hurtful to other people, too, not just Josh. Despite the forum rules, there are subjects that I think no one would be okay mocking, like disabilities, because decent people just don't do that. I wish weight was included in that, but in the meantime I do just avoid the topics snarking on his size.

I think the issue is that he's gained a bit of weight since he got married, and he has the nickname of Smuggar for a reason. He's the one who decided that his wife's labor was getting boring, so he took a nap, and he thought the rules before oral surgery didn't apply to him as he drank sweet tea when the only thing he should have had was plain water. As a result of that, the office staff had to find another time they had open for him to be rescheduled.

I think when some people comment on his weight, they're thinking about his long term health, as type 2 diabetes and heart disease are often caused by lifestyle. While there's also a genetic component to diabetes, it's also a lifestyle issue. In general, Americans are getting fatter, and people are dying as a result of obesity. It's not just Josh, it's just that he and his family put themselves on TV, so people notice that he's gained weight.

I snark on his self righteous ass because he is a fat fuck, not because he's fat. Sure, lots of people have weight issues. I was one of them until I couldnt get into a bridesmaid dress because they didnt make one in my size (which was a 24 at the time). The issue of weight is significant because it just goes to show how little he cares. He eats shit all the time and at the same meal tells people about the right way to live.

To those on the board who have weight issues, I totally understand. But his choice to be a fuck, gain weight, and tell others what to do is just a gift box of snark. It shows that he is mentally, physically, and socially a complete and total ass hat.

ETA: This whole thread reminds me of the "Be Nice to CJ" thread. I don't take well to hand slapping, even when I've never responded to threads about the topic being whined about.

Agreed. It seems odd to have hand slapping going on on a snark board whether one has participated in the topic that brought about the hand slapping or not. I don't comment on the Duggars much because I try to know as little about them as I can manage. I don't recall personally ever having remarked on his weight because I just don't give a rat's ass. I just find the hand slapping interesting, whenever it happens and whatever the reason, given the nature of this board and the people who post here.

I don't really think people are making fun of his weight because they're worried about his health. Elsewhere, though, I do often see people try to mask weightism with faux concern.

I just personally will never make fun of someone's weight no matter what. It doesn't matter if they're over- or underweight, healthy or sick, the nicest person on earth or the worst, or whether it's because of a thyroid issue or eating disorder or genetics or because they eat two pizzas a day or two carrot sticks a day. I just think it's a completely unacceptable form of prejudice. Mock people because of what they do, not because of what they look like.

I know that's a personal conviction, and while I think it's an incredibly important social issue, here I have been just not reading the threads that mock someone's weight, and I'll continue to do so.

I don't really think people are making fun of his weight because they're worried about his health. Elsewhere, though, I do often see people try to mask weightism with faux concern.

I just personally will never make fun of someone's weight no matter what. It doesn't matter if they're over- or underweight, healthy or sick, the nicest person on earth or the worst, or whether it's because of a thyroid issue or eating disorder or genetics or because they eat two pizzas a day or two carrot sticks a day. I just think it's a completely unacceptable form of prejudice. Mock people because of what they do, not because of what they look like.

I know that's a personal conviction, and while I think it's an incredibly important social issue, here I have been just not reading the threads that mock someone's weight, and I'll continue to do so.

Love this.

I completely agree with this!

Yes, me.

I am overweight at 13.5 stones and 5ft 5ins tall.

I am overweight because I no longer get enough exercise and over the last 3 years have gained 3 stones. However the last 3 years I have been in poor health for a variety of reasons so have not had the opportunity to exercise to the extent that I used to (I did used to exercise a lot). Hopefully now I have had my major surgery and will be getting the two minor ones in the coming months I will be able to do something about it.

As for Smuggar, I couldn't give a crap. He is a young man who should be bursting with energy. There is no reason for him to gain such weight other than he hasn't got off his arse to shift it. If it turns out that he does have a medical condition which makes him more likely to gain weight or prevents him from exercising then I will take it all back. But until then, I will snark away.

Edit: @ Rachel333

Mock people because of what they do, not because of what they look like.

I am. What he is doing is eating crap and not burning it off. He should know better.

So should I stick to his receeding hairline?

I think snarking on his weight is fair game. We make fun of the Maxwell girls about their eyebrows and plenty of others about hairstyles. Also most of the jokes I hear go more along the lines of "gee Josh needs to lay off the tatertot cassarole", which we know for a fact that he eats. Also with his facebook page we can see pictures of the food that he eats! Snarking on his weight when he's putting up pictures of burgers and french fries every couple days isn't just being mean to somebody who can't help it.

Despite the forum rules, there are subjects that I think no one would be okay mocking, like disabilities, because decent people just don't do that. I wish weight was included in that...

I really wish people would stop comparing the two. Once again, being fat, is more about choices a person has made in their life--being disabled is not. Yes, it's cruel to mock people who have disabilities or other features which they can not change. You can change whether you are fat (that's not to say I think we should harass people for either reason, but there is a difference!).

I also agree with the poster that noted the irony of some posters believing its okay to mock Dougie & crew about their closeted gay lifestyles, but then getting offended when somebody makes a fat joke. You can't change being gay, but you can change being fat---so what gives?

Mmm, weight is a complicated issue, though. It's looking more and more that weight is something that is, for the most part, pretty set. It often isn't something you can change. I also don't mean to say that being fat is like being disabled, just that a disability is something that's considered unacceptable to mock (for the most part; some people will always be jerks), and I wish it was also unacceptable to mock weight. I felt differently a few years ago, but reading a lot of feminist websites and fat acceptance sites, as well as things I've encountered in my own life, has changed my mind.

I know people here are still going to make fun of fat people, and I can handle it. I just wanted to take the opportunity to talk about why I don't think it's okay.

I don't comment on Smuggar's weight because I've had the exact opposite problem- I've been underweight (NOT due to eating disorders) and it's not fair for me to comment on ANYONE'S weight. If I'm the supposed ideal (a terrifying thought, since I'm barely 100 lbs at any time due to something being wrong with my digestive system), it's just rude to comment on someone being overweight, when being underweight is jsut as bad.

I had to deal with people accusing me of having an eating disorder. In reality, I've always been tiny, and I dropped down to 95 lbs. in junior year because of a bout of viral meningitis. I don't gain weight easily anyway. To be told that your weight problems, instead of being a legitimate medical concern, are somehow your doing and your choice is degrading and the person saying it is a complete douche with no actual concern for you.

It's wrong to dish out insults based on someone's weight. It's one thing to pick on a haircut, or makeup, or clothes, but weight is off-limits.

So does this mean we can't snark on things that might apply to certain people here and make them feel bad? People who have some fundie religious views? People who have a ton of kids?

We snark on Dougie for being possibly gay and in the closet, and if that's true it's not like he could change being gay. Is it not okay to mock Doug for this, even though most of it is centered around the lifestyle he's chosen? Some people have argued that Josh's weight isn't something he can change; if that were the case shouldn't this be similar to the Doug snark?

I don't snark on Josh's weight myself (because there are SO many other things to snark on), but I just don't like the idea that certain snark topics might end up off-limits for fear of hurting people's feelings.

Edit just to point out: I've been under the impression that Gothard entreats women to try to stay "attractive" (read, slim) for their husbands. Does anyone know for sure if that's true?

Mmm, weight is a complicated issue, though. It's looking more and more that weight is something that is, for the most part, pretty set. It often isn't something you can change.

I don't think I've ever heard of a person who could not lose weight. Yes, genetics can play a role when it comes to weight and what is ideal for each person's body size and frame, but when you talk about someone being overweight it is because their weight exceeds what should be their average BMI. Believe me, those extra pounds CAN be dropped if the person takes the initiative to do so--just ask Jennifer Hudson.

There are lots of people who can't lose weight. That's actually quite common, and it's not all about lack of initiative. Then there are those who are physically capable of losing weight, but can't get themselves to do it. It's still not necessarily their "fault". Weight isn't a simple issue.

BMI is crap, anyway. It's good for looking at populations, not for judging individual health. Someone can be overweight by BMI standards, but still be completely healthy.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gothard tells women to stay slim for their husbands. Yuck.

Smuggar is in an ideal situation to lose weight, if he so desired. He is a MAN in his 20's. Just a slight change of diet/portions and some more exercise would have him shed the pounds. Now if he were a woman over 40 , he'd have to make more of an effort...

The ability or non-ability to lose weight isn't really the problem, though. There are a lot of complicated issues we snark on here. I'm curious as to why weight should be off-limits when other complicated issues (like for example Dougie's apparent sexuality) are fine.

Archived