IGNORED

Pecan Thief and Waller Delegation Wander Israel

busmgr

So what exactly was the point of the sandwiches for a 20 minute drive if they are going to eat on the flight? I can't figure out how that would save money. What am I missing here?

You have to be at the airport several hours before an international flight. Food is not served as soon as you take off. When I've flown to Israel, several meals were served. I think they were based on expected arrival time. Thus if you were scheduled to arrive in Tel Aviv at 11 am, you might get a breakfast meal at 8am Israel time, even though it is 1 am in New York (departing airport).

Bringing along some food is a good idea, but I don't know why they ate on the ride to the airport. Why not eat before leaving the house? Or, pack snacks for the airport and airplane.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, David and Priss can now change their repertoire: They'll glean olives instead of pecans.

I can imagine David doing something that someone on my study abroad program in Jerusalem did. He will wax rhapsodic about the land, pluck an olive off a tree, and put it in his mouth--not realizing that you can't eat olives raw.

I can imagine David doing something that someone on my study abroad program in Jerusalem did. He will wax rhapsodic about the land, pluck an olive off a tree, and put it in his mouth--not realizing that you can't eat olives raw.

It would be hilarious if Davey tried that. He sure won't find the olive so flavorful as those pecans. Another lesson in "why not to glean".

He has to steal something. Its his thing. He will always be the pecan thief. Or do something else stupid, or break a law out of extreme ignorance.

He has to steal something. Its his thing. He will always be the pecan thief. Or do something else stupid, or break a law out of extreme ignorance.

My guess is that he will get pelted with pebbles for walking into Mea Shearim while wearing short sleeves.

That would be hilarious. See how he feels when someone with way higher modesty standards thinks he is dressing immodestly.

Not only him; the women are actually more likely to get rocks or tomatoes pelted at them for their immodest attire (uncovered elbows, collar bones, and calves).

I wonder if Davey will wear one of the free cardboard kippot when visiting Jewish holy sites, or if he will purchase a real one as a souviner. Of course, if he purchases one, he will post about the special Jewish headcovering he brought home from the Holy Land.

I suggest David use some of the money he "receives" to buy himself a thesaurus. There are other words to describe events and people besides "fun".

Exactly. Sometimes people and events are "precious."

I believe that Mark Twain in "Innocents Abroad" has a hilarious passage about trying to "glean" either olives or grapes from an orchard outside Athens--and being chased by dogs and shotgun-wielding farmers as a result. I'd like to see Davy chased by a shotgun-wielding Israeli farmer. It would do him some good.

Not only him; the women are actually more likely to get rocks or tomatoes pelted at them for their immodest attire (uncovered elbows, collar bones, and calves).

I wonder if Davey will wear one of the free cardboard kippot when visiting Jewish holy sites, or if he will purchase a real one as a souviner. Of course, if he purchases one, he will post about the special Jewish head covering he brought home from the Holy Land.

I think he will buy a 7-branch menorah like the one Smugs got and a vial of "holy water" from the Jordan River.

I think he will buy a 7-branch menorah like the one Smugs got and a vial of "holy water" from the Jordan River.

How much olivewood crap will he bring home from Beit Lechem and Nazereth?

Yeah, that hat is what folks in Chicago wear all the time (not)

So I guess Waller is a pretty common surname, or will we see these Wallers fellowshipping with the Tommy Wallers, the guy who quit a mid-management FedEx job to live off the grid, then moved most of his 11ty kids and wife to Israel to teach the natives how to grow grapes? I'm watching for that, alone.

Meanwhile, it also occurs that David has an obsession with food.

How much of their time do you think was spent trying to convince all the Jewish heathens that they had it all wrong?

I'm a pretty damned devout roman catholic, but seriously - go all the way to the holy land and not experience native life? Did they go to the wailing wall? Meditate on the significance of where they were and the fight it took to get it that way? No? Just act like American assholes who think they're entitled?

For the most part, Israelis don't mind fundies coming, and almost prefer if they don't experience "native life" since there is a ban on proselytizing. Christian tourists are a valuable source of tourist dollars.

I think this group will stand out - a cowboy hat, an American flag (why?), and a fun traveler who was excited to be on the same body of water that Jesus walked on just a few years before. I'm looking forward to their subsequent posts.

Meanwhile, it also occurs that David has an obsession with food.

Not that I can talk myself, but the dear boy does have an unfortunately unshapely backside. Maybe it's just the choice of dockers and big belt.

Not that I can talk myself, but the dear boy does have an unfortunately unshapely backside. Maybe it's just the choice of dockers and big belt.

I think it's a combination of ill-fitting dockers pulled up WAY too high and a shelf butt that could use more flattering pants. He is a runner, so he's probably not out of shape, but his butt isn't flattered by the pants he wears.

Pris said she wanted to invent a big raft and (I think) put on flip flops and pretend they were walking on water. But it would take a lot of good balance.

The pecan thief gave a nervous laugh.

Ok so I was raised an extremely secular Jew so I am not an expert on this whatsoever, but isn't that kinda, you know, blasphemous and mocking of Jesus to try and recreate his miracles using props?

Could Priscilla referring to 2,000 years as merely a "few years" ago suggest that she knows that the earth is actually 4.5 billion years old?! Wistful thinking, but she's right that 2k is relatively a few in the history of the planet... Definitely didn't understand that assertion.

Could Priscilla referring to 2,000 years as merely a "few years" ago suggest that she knows that the earth is actually 4.5 billion years old?! Wistful thinking, but she's right that 2k is relatively a few in the history of the planet... Definitely didn't understand that assertion.

Probably...not. See the video where she's talking about fallen leaves storing up energy for Spring.

Ugh, I expect some more fundie cultural appropriation to follow...Perhaps Priss will start wearing a Magen David necklace like Jill does?

Maybe she's refering to the water cycle and the fact that all water in the world is conserved. Therfore, water that Jesus walked on 2,000 years ago is still in circulation and maybe some of that water fell into the Sea of Gallilee a few years ago!

Nah, didn't think so... But she sure is a fun traveler.

Archived