IGNORED

Raising Olives pregnant with #12, but baby is ailing

Hisey

I wouldn't wish a miscarriage on anyone and I wish her I all the best. I do want to ask though, what is it with all the ultrasounds?

When I had my babies and with friends having bubs now, it is normal to have one ultrasound, somewhere between 16 & 20 weeks. Extra ultra sounds are only ordered when there is a special reason. For example; I had a second one after being very sick and doctors were concerned about the effect on the baby.

In this blog she has had a very early ultrasound. The later one obviously related to the results if the first but why have the first one? I am just asking because it seems on a lot of the blogs I read that multiethnic ultrasounds are common. My cousin-in-law in Minnesota (fundy) has 4 with her first and has already had 3 with her second and hasn't made it to half way yet.

Is this a fundy thing? An American thing? A city/country thing?

I had ultrasounds at every appointment until after my 20 week appointment because the doctor couldn't hear my son's heartbeat with the doppler until then. It was a way to confirm that the baby was alive.

ETA: I'm in the United States. I wouldn't have had an ultrasound (apart from the dating ultrasound, which is common in a number of OB practices here) until my 20 week ultrasound if my doctor had been able to hear his heartbeat.

I only had one ultrasound at 18 weeks because my pregnancy had no complications up to that point. My sister is about 5 weeks along and she will be getting several ultrasounds because she just miscarried a few months ago and she has a hematoma in her uterus that is causing spotting.

I only had one ultrasound at 18 weeks because my pregnancy had no complications up to that point. My sister is about 5 weeks along and she will be getting several ultrasounds because she just miscarried a few months ago and she has a hematoma in her uterus that is causing spotting.

Best of luck to your sister! I was in the same boat. I had a miscarriage, and after I became pregnant again several months later, I had a clot behind the placenta that bled. We were afraid we were going to lose her, too. Thankfully, the clot reabsorbed, the bleeding stopped, and my daughter was born full term and was perfectly healthy baby.

Archived