IGNORED

Common Room son tries to blow himself up

godlytomatosoup

thecommonroomblog.com/2013/11/you-arent-going-to-believe-this-one.html

thecommonroomblog.com/2013/11/real-pictures-of-my-son-boomboom.html

By lighting a pile of gunpowder with a gunpowder fuse.

First tells his father what he's going to do and asks if he wants to watch. Father says "No, it’ll be okay. You’ll do fine without me."

He lost his eyebrows and some of his hair, and his skin is lightly burned, but apart from that he's fine. He had enough vestigial responsibility to tell the two little boys that family babysits (you know, the ones whose mother the DHM constantly criticizes for being a leech and a bad mother) to stay well back before he lit it, so they're unharmed. And the Common Room family have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy about not telling those kids' mother about the risk of BLAST INJURIES but instead publishing it on their public blog.

I think blowing stuff up just might be one of those things where parental supervision is in order.

Or just don't let the kid blow things up.

At least he had the sense to keep the little boys out of the way.

Ouch, that looks painful.

But he's a BOY, don't you understand? A BOY, I tell you! Sure, he almost blew his head off, but this must mean he'll never-ever-ever "suffer" from "same-sex attraction"! He's ALL BOY (well, except for the inadvertant "guyliner").

It's so nauseating when these bitches celebrate any sign that they perceive to mean "heterosexual." And very telling of their ignorance and fear.

I cleared my throat and I asked my husband if I understood this correctly, that he was really telling me that we’re lucky our son wasn’t blinded or worse. I really hoped he would tell me that of course I had totally misunderstood him and this wasn’t what happened at all. Instead, he asked why I had to go there, isn’t it enough that nothing worse did happen? Everything is fine after all, he said. Let’s just look at the bright side, he said.

Her husband is an ass. Did they take their son to the emergency room?

I don't think that a parent is automatically wrong for letting a child blow something up. My son and his friend once asked to use firecrackers to blow up army men but we supervised. Yes, I admit that is an odd thing to do but my point is that even being a woman, I am not antifire or blowing things up. However, I wouldn't even trust teenagers to use firecrackers without an adult present. And if something happened, the kids would be in the emergency room. Burns can get infected.

The humor in the article is annoying because the adults irresponsibility takes the humor away from the story. Also, do they think that it is unmanly for a dad to worry about their children's safety?

Can we send them a copy of the Darwin Awards?

This is really bad parenting. I would consider leaving my husband over this. He knew what this child was doing and he not only allowed it but he couldn't even get off his lazy ass to supervise and make sure that it could be as safe as possible.

I don't think that a parent is automatically wrong for letting a child blow something up. My son and his friend once asked to use firecrackers to blow up army men but we supervised. Yes, I admit that is an odd thing to do but my point is that even being a woman, I am not antifire or blowing things up. However, I wouldn't even trust teenagers to use firecrackers without an adult present. And if something happened, the kids would be in the emergency room. Burns can get infected.

Well, I respectfully disagree. I have a problem with fireworks or explosives in the hands of minors, period. (Also, in the hands of anyone who is violating the law by having them).

Blame it on the fact that I work at a pediatric hospital. These kids could currently be without some very important body parts.

I'm done.

Well, I respectfully disagree. I have a problem with fireworks or explosives in the hands of minors, period. (Also, in the hands of anyone who is violating the law by having them).

Blame it on the fact that I work at a pediatric hospital. These kids could currently be without some very important body parts.

I'm done.

I understand. If it is any consolation, my husband lit the fuses and the boys just stood back and watched. A couple of my sons' friends did use firecrackers without any supervision at all so, we'd agreed so that my kids would get the desire to witness it out of their system. We lived in rural Iowa at the time and were attending a more fundie church. The parental attitude seemed to be that boys would do obviously dangerous things but that they had to be protected from Harry Potter and RPG video games. Once my sons' curiosity was satisfied, they had no further interest in blowing anything up. In fact, I think that they were disappointed that there wasn't more excitement involved.

Also, the way that I worded my statement was wrong. I should have said, " I don't think that the parent is automatically wrong for blowing things up for their child. " My oldest son has ADHD and doesn't always think things through. Normal punishment and rewards didn't always work for him, even discussing the dangers of an action didn't work. We thought that letting him observe something that his friends seemed to do without-to his eyes-obvious harm would probably prevent him sneaking around and trying on his own. We were right. Our actions took the excitement out of the act completely.

Lighting gun powder will not cause an explosion unless it is contained. It can burn fast with a flash depending in the powder but that's it. So you would only get burned if you are right on top if it. So using a fuse would be safe.

Lighting gun powder will not cause an explosion unless it is contained. It can burn fast with a flash depending in the powder but that's it. So you would only get burned if you are right on top if it. So using a fuse would be safe.

That's precisely what had me wondering about just what they were doing in the story (maybe I need to read it again). I've seen people put out a line of gunpowder and then light one end with a fuse, the gunpowder catches (they step back while it's just the fuse going) and then it burns a trail REALLY fast to wherever it's headed (often to blow something more interesting up at the end).

That's precisely what had me wondering about just what they were doing in the story (maybe I need to read it again). I've seen people put out a line of gunpowder and then light one end with a fuse, the gunpowder catches (they step back while it's just the fuse going) and then it burns a trail REALLY fast to wherever it's headed (often to blow something more interesting up at the end).

only black powder burns fast for the most part. powder used in fireworks is a different store but black powder is fairly fast. but you would still have to be on top of it for it to burn you unless it is contained.

[quoteBeing the sweet Proverbs 31 wife that I am, naturally…. †let’s not,†I said. â€That stupid optimism and dumb faith is exactly why your son is missing an eyebrow and the eyelashes on one eye. So, no, I don’t think that’s a good idea†I said. â€If somebody in this family was less optimistic and bright sidey ahead of time, we would not need to spend so much time looking at the bright side after the fact,†I said.

“Eat your chocolate,†he said.

]

In fairness, as an eleven-year-old I once made a napalm equivalent and managed not only to successfully avoid lighting myself on fire, but managed to keep all the globs of flaming goo within the confines of my dad's bonfire pit and away from anyone else. (I performed this little experiment before Dad got home from work.)

Dad (a volunteer firefighter at the time) was pissed, however, and didn't get all smug-like. Instead, I got one hell of a lecture with an added bonus of being shown photos of some really horrific burn injuries.

He learned to put his Poor Man's James Bond book and Anarchist's Cookbooks away, though.

[quoteBeing the sweet Proverbs 31 wife that I am, naturally…. †let’s not,†I said. â€That stupid optimism and dumb faith is exactly why your son is missing an eyebrow and the eyelashes on one eye. So, no, I don’t think that’s a good idea†I said. â€If somebody in this family was less optimistic and bright sidey ahead of time, we would not need to spend so much time looking at the bright side after the fact,†I said.

“Eat your chocolate,†he said.

]

He would have been wearing every last ounce of that chocolate. That shit is not funny. That kid could have been permanently blinded. I detest that "Oh he's a boy" attitude. I have some relatives who have that same attitude with their son and I am amazed that nothing serious has happened to this child. :angry-banghead:

Oh and the he's a boy bullshit is bull fucking shit. My dad was one of three boys born within 3 years of each other and they never pulled that shit. My mom's brother did and got one hell of a punishment for attempting to light a fire in the yard without permission. My brother also never dared to do anything that stupid. Either they weren't real boys or the boys in my family are just much more intelligent than her son and husband.

I don't come down to hard on people whose kids do stupid things--I"m not even going to tell you the number of eyebrows I burnt off, things I blew up, etc as a kid.

I come down hard on STUPID.

I haven't been handed a gun in my life by my dad without having him quick-review the safety rules. I haven't been handed a firecracker in my life without him quick-reviewing the safety rules. That doesn't mean I always followed them (I have w guns, less so w/ fireworks), but there's nothing even hinting that anyone EVER talked to this child about safety.

And not cluing in the mom of the other kids is unconscionable--because it sure sounds like him removing them was an afterthought--what if it's NOT an afterthought, or a thought at all next time?

I want to know if the original writer actually has PTSD or if she was simply making what she thought to be a funny little joke. If she thought she was being cute that is fucking sick. My husband has very real PTSD that is largely the result of some very real children who had the misfortune of growing up in a war zone and died as a result of a very real and not at all cute explosion. If she was making a joke fuck her. (I do know I am over reacting slightly but for whatever reason that sentence pissed me right the hell off.)

On a more constructive note I am super nervous about kids, well anyone really, handling fireworks. I can trace this anxiousness directly to reading "Follow my Leader" in the third grade. The protagonist Jimmy is blinded by a firework. Scared me off the things for life.

Between the husband's PTSD and my constant "you're all gonna go blind" the 4th of July is a real happy fun time around the Goalie household. Maxwell levels of fun.

I want to know if the original writer actually has PTSD or if she was simply making what she thought to be a funny little joke. If she thought she was being cute that is fucking sick. My husband has very real PTSD that is largely the result of some very real children who had the misfortune of growing up in a war zone and died as a result of a very real and not at all cute explosion. If she was making a joke fuck her. (I do know I am over reacting slightly but for whatever reason that sentence pissed me right the hell off.)

In the comments, she does say she actually has PTSD. It's interesting, as she's always struck me as one who would utterly discount any mental health struggles or psychological suffering.

In the comments, she does say she actually has PTSD. It's interesting, as she's always struck me as one who would utterly discount any mental health struggles or psychological suffering.

I didn't think to read the comments. I feel like an idiot. Sorry about that little outburst. I don't know why I went from zero to enraged so quickly on that.

I was also intrigued by the PTSD comment. She's made it before, but always in an offhand way that made me think she was making yet another insensitive joke. The comment this time suggests to me that she's been diagnosed with it via google because she completely distrusts most in the medical profession, is an anti-vaxer and the whole shebang. Although they did get very real medical care for their grandson, the DHM (as she calls herself) likes to believe in the sanctity of her google-fu and her pseudo-intellectual prowess.

Whoever commented on the whole smuggest smugs whoever smugged in that household. Absolutely.

I'll just go back to lurking now.

It's probably one of those "Well, my PTSD is really really real, but yours isn't" things. :pull-hair:

I didn't think to read the comments. I feel like an idiot. Sorry about that little outburst. I don't know why I went from zero to enraged so quickly on that.

Oh, don't worry! I wouldn't have put it past her to be either joking about it (gross) or appropriating the condition for her own usage (hey look, also gross).

I'm remembering why I stopped reading her several years ago; this level of frustration can't be good for my blood pressure! :)

I am sure that her PTSD is self-diagnosed. It's unsurprising that she does not want to explain it on her blog because the event that caused it (I'm assuming) could reveal her identity, and perhaps she's legally restricted from discussing in public. If you know her real identity, it's not that hard to uncover.

It's probably played up for drama, though. While the event was likely traumatic, it has nothing to do with explosions of any sort, gunpowder, or one's son blowing himself up.

Archived